Only 8% of High Schoolers Can Identify Slavery as Civil War's Root Issue

Started by Shiranu, May 05, 2018, 11:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 06, 2018, 08:52:56 AM
We are all assholes ... I admit it, ... virtue signaling...
Being an asshole is not a virtue signal.  It's just an asshole signal.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2018, 09:11:49 AM
Being an asshole is not a virtue signal.  It's just an asshole signal.

It is what we all do.  The primary output of humanity is shit, piss and monkey memes.  Farts sometimes.

We also sweat, but don't like to.  We all want to be executive management on the Committee of Commissars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason78

I really enjoyed reading about the american revolution from american history textbooks.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on May 06, 2018, 11:10:21 AM
It is what we all do.  The primary output of humanity is shit, piss and monkey memes.  Farts sometimes.

We also sweat, but don't like to.  We all want to be executive management on the Committee of Commissars.

As always, Baruch just speaks for himself.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2018, 06:33:15 AM
Slave owners were the assholes.

Not necessarily at the time It was like a fashion statement. If you had slaves you were cool and wealthy. And the people who had slaves were good people just like you and me, they just a product of their times.

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Jason78 on May 06, 2018, 11:52:52 AM
As always, Baruch just speaks for himself.
Baruch doesn't speak for anyone. He never says anything.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on May 06, 2018, 12:04:59 PM
Not necessarily at the time It was like a fashion statement. If you had slaves you were cool and wealthy. And the people who had slaves were good people just like you and me, they just a product of their times.

Even Cherokee Indians kept Black slaves ... because it is a big status item.  It cost a lot of money to even buy one slave.  A young working male cost about $20,000 each.  Girl house slaves maybe halt that much.  This is why it was important to breed them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 06, 2018, 01:54:07 PM
Baruch doesn't speak for anyone. He never says anything.

I am not part of the "confirmation bias" for anyone.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on May 06, 2018, 12:04:59 PM
Upper class barbarians fucking with other people's lives.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2018, 02:24:49 PM

European, African, Native American ... yes, the upper class is a problem.  The main problem with the stinking peasantry ... is they stink.  The upper class in the North, were busy F-ing over immigrant labor in their hellish factories (which helped the North win the war).  And before the war, bankers on both sides of the line, financed the slave business, including Jewish people in Boston.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Just fyi for everyone involved in this thread:

secede = to formally withdraw one's membership; usually used for a territory/state breaking away from a country (Texas seceded from the United States)
succeed = to achieve something that you're trying to do (I succeeded at making a pizza from scratch)
succession = inheriting a title (the rules of succession mean that King Aeris II inherited the throne after Jaehaerys II died)

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2018, 02:24:49 PM

There were lower middle class good families with slaves. Your "upper class Barbarians" does not exist until the majority of people think slavery is horrible which wasn't until later.

You have to look at it with perception.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 06, 2018, 06:42:10 PM
Just fyi for everyone involved in this thread:

secede = to formally withdraw one's membership; usually used for a territory/state breaking away from a country (Texas seceded from the United States)
succeed = to achieve something that you're trying to do (I succeeded at making a pizza from scratch)
succession = inheriting a title (the rules of succession mean that King Aeris II inherited the throne after Jaehaerys II died)

Twas a fucking spelling error and you know that!

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on May 06, 2018, 08:47:58 PM
There were lower middle class good families with slaves. Your "upper class Barbarians" does not exist until the majority of people think slavery is horrible which wasn't until later.

You have to look at it with perception.

You could only get slaves, without being wealthy, if you inherited them.  But if you inherit wealth, you are wealthy.  Your statement makes no sense, unless you mean family with class and families without class.  Some Southern families were college educated, some were what we could now call millionaires.  So yes, some families in a wooden shack, had slaves ... but the slaves were their wealth, not the plantation house.

We don't agree on what slavery is ... this is essential.  Thus we can have wage slavery and debt slavery without protest.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.