Only 8% of High Schoolers Can Identify Slavery as Civil War's Root Issue

Started by Shiranu, May 05, 2018, 11:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Devil's argument:

It is rational to kill excess monkeys.  Culling the heard.  Same as you do with any game animal or excess livestock.

The Germans may have been bigoted (kill only certain excess monkeys) but they weren't irrational.  They were so rational (German efficiency, engineering, top-down organizing) that they killed more people per their population than any other belligerent.  The Japanese were similarly rational.

Moralizers see everyone else, as a demon.  Muslims see non-Muslims as demons, but they are obligated to kill demons.  They don't see themselves as demons (being moralizers), and so Muslims don't see a demon when they look in the mirror.  The Catholic Church is similarly moralizing.

Now imagine that the Japanese or Germans are Muslim ;-(  They didn't claim to be moral, just self interested.  With Allah behind them, they would be unstoppable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on May 08, 2018, 07:28:18 PM
Devil's argument:

It is rational to kill excess monkeys.  Culling the heard.  Same as you do with any game animal or excess livestock.

The Germans may have been bigoted (kill only certain excess monkeys) but they weren't irrational.  They were so rational (German efficiency, engineering, top-down organizing) that they killed more people per their population than any other belligerent.  The Japanese were similarly rational.

Moralizers see everyone else, as a demon.  Muslims see non-Muslims as demons, but they are obligated to kill demons.  They don't see themselves as demons (being moralizers), and so Muslims don't see a demon when they look in the mirror.  The Catholic Church is similarly moralizing.

Now imagine that the Japanese or Germans are Muslim ;-(  They didn't claim to be moral, just self interested.  With Allah behind them, they would be unstoppable.

You know what the fuck I mean goddammit.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 06, 2018, 08:52:56 AM
Every human has one.  We are all assholes ... I admit it, you won't ... virtue signaling like St Joan of Arc.

History revision works both Right and Left.  I would be happy if they all died.  If everyone in the US died in 1861-1865 ... then this issue would be over.

Of the many posts you have offerred, this may be one of the most bizarre and irrational.

First, pointing out that some people are "assholes" but we all "have one" is confusing the figurative with the literal.  If you were stupid, I would forgive you.  But you know better that that.

Second, "If everyone in the US died in 1861-1865 ... then this issue would be over."  That is truly one of the weakest statements I have ever seen.  As little as I think of you these days, that is an outstandingly bad one.  No war results in everyone dying. 

I invite you to expound on "virtue signaling like St Joan of Arc".  I'm sure it means something to you. But it will probably just show less understanding of factual history (or some overly-religious explanation) of the English/French wars of the time.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 01:03:13 AM
Of the many posts you have offerred, this may be one of the most bizarre and irrational.

First, pointing out that some people are "assholes" but we all "have one" is confusing the figurative with the literal.  If you were stupid, I would forgive you.  But you know better that that.

Second, "If everyone in the US died in 1861-1865 ... then this issue would be over."  That is truly one of the weakest statements I have ever seen.  As little as I think of you these days, that is an outstandingly bad one.  No war results in everyone dying. 

I invite you to expound on "virtue signaling like St Joan of Arc".  I'm sure it means something to you. But it will probably just show less understanding of factual history (or some overly-religious explanation) of the English/French wars of the time.
When I start to read stuff like that I just skip to the end.  I have no interest in reading between the lines, deciphering an enigma, or looking for hidden meanings.  I don't ask for clarification of partial insights.  It's not my responsibility to organize a writer's thoughts for him.  That needs to be done before he posts to the forum.  I'll share the load, but I expect the writer to figure out what he's thinking before he posts.  If I have identified the writer as habitual in that regard, I just leave the post half read and go to the next as soon as I realize he's being lazy.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on May 09, 2018, 05:09:21 AM
When I start to read stuff like that I just skip to the end.  I have no interest in reading between the lines, deciphering an enigma, or looking for hidden meanings.  I don't ask for clarification of partial insights.  It's not my responsibility to organize a writer's thoughts for him.  That needs to be done before he posts to the forum.  I'll share the load, but I expect the writer to figure out what he's thinking before he posts.  If I have identified the writer as habitual in that regard, I just leave the post half read and go to the next as soon as I realize he's being lazy.

Well, yes, and my apologies for even replying to Baruch.  But sometimes I glance at his posts to see what he is saying that OTHER people are routinely reading.  I shouldn't, I know...  It is like sometimes I listen to what Trump is saying just so I can understand what his followers are raging about so that I can discuss it with others.

I will try to do better ignoring Baruch's posts.  My occasional curiosity really is never worth it.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 05:35:23 AM
I will try to do better ignoring Baruch's posts.  My occasional curiosity really is never worth it.
Ignore or focus however you prefer.  I couldn't begin to tell someone how to ignore Baruch.  It would be easy if you could simply tell yourself to do that, but I didn't force it.  I just arrived at a point where I think my subconscious did it's own cost/benefit analysis and decided paying attention was an uncompensated expenditure.  In this case, I just let it skim me on to the next post without feeling I owe undue time and energy to one person.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on May 09, 2018, 06:11:14 AM
Ignore or focus however you prefer.  I couldn't begin to tell someone how to ignore Baruch.  It would be easy if you could simply tell yourself to do that, but I didn't force it.  I just arrived at a point where I think my subconscious did it's own cost/benefit analysis and decided paying attention was an uncompensated expenditure.  In this case, I just let it skim me on to the next post without feeling I owe undue time and energy to one person.

I have him on "ignore".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 01:03:13 AM

Irony ... wasted on you?  There are a lot of Catholic saints at this atheist forum ;-)  Hyperbole ... wasted on you?  Probably.  You stopped your conics at circles and ellipses ;-)

SGOS - you usually have something interesting to say.  So no, you aren't ignore.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 06:28:11 AM
I have him on "ignore".

Which I hope annoys him no end.  He should probably get sent back to "Naked Mole Rat".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 10:34:45 AM
Which I hope annoys him no end.  He should probably get sent back to "Naked Mole Rat".

Jealousy much?  I am sure you were the terror over at the DMV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

But to get back to the topic of 8% of high schoolers not understanding the cause of the Civil War as Slavery (as the ultimate cause), I am not surprised.