Author Topic: Are Christians and Muslims idolaters?  (Read 1184 times)

Online trdsf

Re: Are Christians and Muslims idolaters?
« Reply #150 on: Today at 12:41:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I suspect a rational universe usually makes the most sense.  I don't mean a "THINKING" rational universe, that would imply agency.  Just one with rules...
Rational as in explainable within and up to the limits of observation and mathematical modeling.  I reject the Gaia/Galaxia/Universalia position too.  The universe is what it is, and until we reliably observe otherwise, there's no reason to think otherwise.

Of course, that doesn't mean our current explanation is final, even though it's very good.  Einstein's Special and General Relativity were shocking at the time, Hubble's discovery of the expansion of the universe was shocking, Rubin's discovery of both galactic superclusters and dark matter was shocking (although IMO not as shocking as the failure of the Nobel committee to ever award her the Physics Prize), Perlmutter, Schmidt & Reiss' discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe and dark energy was shocking.

What will be more shocking is if we don't learn something else shocking about the universe in the next few years.  We're about due for a really good upset—they seem to come along about every ten or twenty years.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #151 on: Today at 12:56:27 PM »
There are rules, but no ruler? ... unless you mean a wooden one from school days.  See, abuse of language, everywhere.  There is recurrence of pattern, that isn't a rule, just a pattern, which inductively (logic) doesn't always work out.  Black swans.  Y'all still don't take David Hume seriously.

Indeed yes, and that is what often seems to confuse you theists the most.  Does F=MA require a deity to be true?  If there was no deity wouldn't 1+1 still equal 2?  What amazes ME is that YOU think only a deity could make mass orbit a larger mass without some divine assistance (and possibly assistants). 

Let's say God sneezed.  Oh my, there goes Jupiter off into the Oort cloud...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Online trdsf

« Reply #152 on: Today at 03:39:27 PM »
Let's say God sneezed.  Oh my, there goes Jupiter off into the Oort cloud...
You have just described me playing You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login...
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk