News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are Christians and Muslims idolaters?

Started by Greatest I am, May 05, 2018, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 03:42:40 AM
I suspect a rational universe usually makes the most sense.  I don't mean a "THINKING" rational universe, that would imply agency.  Just one with rules...
Rational as in explainable within and up to the limits of observation and mathematical modeling.  I reject the Gaia/Galaxia/Universalia position too.  The universe is what it is, and until we reliably observe otherwise, there's no reason to think otherwise.

Of course, that doesn't mean our current explanation is final, even though it's very good.  Einstein's Special and General Relativity were shocking at the time, Hubble's discovery of the expansion of the universe was shocking, Rubin's discovery of both galactic superclusters and dark matter was shocking (although IMO not as shocking as the failure of the Nobel committee to ever award her the Physics Prize), Perlmutter, Schmidt & Reiss' discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe and dark energy was shocking.

What will be more shocking is if we don't learn something else shocking about the universe in the next few years.  We're about due for a really good upsetâ€"they seem to come along about every ten or twenty years.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 25, 2018, 07:25:38 AM
There are rules, but no ruler? ... unless you mean a wooden one from school days.  See, abuse of language, everywhere.  There is recurrence of pattern, that isn't a rule, just a pattern, which inductively (logic) doesn't always work out.  Black swans.  Y'all still don't take David Hume seriously.

Indeed yes, and that is what often seems to confuse you theists the most.  Does F=MA require a deity to be true?  If there was no deity wouldn't 1+1 still equal 2?  What amazes ME is that YOU think only a deity could make mass orbit a larger mass without some divine assistance (and possibly assistants). 

Let's say God sneezed.  Oh my, there goes Jupiter off into the Oort cloud...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 12:56:27 PM
You have just described me playing Universe Sandbox...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 12:56:27 PM
Indeed yes, and that is what often seems to confuse you theists the most.  Does F=MA require a deity to be true?  If there was no deity wouldn't 1+1 still equal 2?  What amazes ME is that YOU think only a deity could make mass orbit a larger mass without some divine assistance (and possibly assistants). 

Newton said yes, a G-d is required, particularly for absolute space and absolute time.  But people mistake him for a physicist, he was an alchemist, Revelations fan, gay, Mint master, natural philosopher, mathematician.  There was no such thing as physics (the modern discipline) until the 19th century.  The first physics PhD was awarded in the US in 1861.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 25, 2018, 03:39:27 PM
You have just described me playing Universe Sandbox...

I checked.  If the game is as good as the teaser, I'm IN!  Is it really?  Do you play it?

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 25, 2018, 05:38:27 PM
Newton said yes, a G-d is required, particularly for absolute space and absolute time.  But people mistake him for a physicist, he was an alchemist, Revelations fan, gay, Mint master, natural philosopher, mathematician.  There was no such thing as physics (the modern discipline) until the 19th century.  The first physics PhD was awarded in the US in 1861.

I know...

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 09:29:46 AM
I checked.  If the game is as good as the teaser, I'm IN!  Is it really?  Do you play it?
I think it is -- and I still play the old version, I haven't upgraded to Universe Sandbox2 yet (every time I'm ready to, some dumb thing happens that I have to spend money on).

I use it for building stellar systems with certain properties; it helps me flesh out worlds when I try to write about them.

Well, okay, and I like crashing black holes into things.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 29, 2018, 10:56:38 AM
I think it is -- and I still play the old version, I haven't upgraded to Universe Sandbox2 yet (every time I'm ready to, some dumb thing happens that I have to spend money on).

I use it for building stellar systems with certain properties; it helps me flesh out worlds when I try to write about them.

Well, okay, and I like crashing black holes into things.

I noticed the "2".  Should I play the "1" first?  Buying the game isn't a problem.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 02:42:50 PM
I noticed the "2".  Should I play the "1" first?  Buying the game isn't a problem.
Naw, if you're going to get it, get 2; it's a more advanced version.  You don't need to start on the first version to make sense of the second.

aitm

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 07, 2018, 05:37:30 PM

See this? This is a cat.

This is also a cat. They both have four legs, two eyes, two ears, one tail, so they're basically the same thing.

This is a hairless cat. It has all the same features as the other two, but calls itself a "lizard" because it thinks it's better than other cats. This is about as intelligent as arguments over semantics get.

well, this is one of those threads where skipping to the last post is quite rewarding.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

OR,,,,this is one of those threads where you assume you have looked at it before and it turns out you haven't and the first page is what you thought was the last page and now I want to crawl back into the bottle....Cheerio!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

I had a pet iguana twice ... not a good choice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 09:29:46 AM
Anton Petrov uses it on youtube, if you'd like the check out his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCciQ8wFcVoIIMi-lfu8-cjQ
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 30, 2018, 01:45:40 PM
Anton Petrov uses it on youtube, if you'd like the check out his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCciQ8wFcVoIIMi-lfu8-cjQ

9 minutes and there is no point to this?

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman