News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are Christians and Muslims idolaters?

Started by Greatest I am, May 05, 2018, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 19, 2018, 11:09:44 AM
I'd be more specific, because "myths" don't always involve gods. You can be an atheist and still believe in ghosts, aliens, healing crystals, flat earth, or any number of myths.

Well, I wouldn't, but I get your point;  atheism shades into rationalism at some point for ME.  I consider the two similar, but not everyone does.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 11:07:57 AM
I've attended a couple of atheist conventions.  I met a guy who was an atheist gun-fanatic.  I met another who thought "atheist" meant "do anything you want to".  Neither was my style, but they WERE atheists.

The only thing atheists have in common is not believing in myths.

"do anything you want to" is a slogan of a church of Satan, a paraphrase of Aleister Crowley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 11:07:57 AM
  I met another who thought "atheist" meant "do anything you want to".
That was the motto of Aleister Crowley, "the wickedest man in the world," who believed that "do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 19, 2018, 01:55:06 PM
That was the motto of Aleister Crowley, "the wickedest man in the world," who believed that "do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

He may have been a complete fraud however, using the occult as a cover for MI6 type work.  Which would make him very wicked indeed, given their recent interference (not Russian interference) in the US Presidential election.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 19, 2018, 01:55:06 PM
Often forgotten is the second part of that: "Love is the law, love under will."  Which sort of points towards respect of others' rights, but not very clearly.

The Wiccan Rede reinstates the responsibility to others much more definitively: An it harm none, do what thou wilt.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 19, 2018, 03:53:09 PM
Often forgotten is the second part of that: "Love is the law, love under will."  Which sort of points towards respect of others' rights, but not very clearly.

The Wiccan Rede reinstates the responsibility to others much more definitively: An it harm none, do what thou wilt.

Yeah, I have the Coven record for amusement.  I would prefer a more positive agreement than "that it harm no one" though.    We have seen evidence of too much passive  acceptance of events that "harmed".

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 04:54:24 PM
Yeah, I have the Coven record for amusement.  I would prefer a more positive agreement than "that it harm no one" though.    We have seen evidence of too much passive acceptance of events that "harmed".
That was one of the things about Wicca I liked when I practiced it: I can't define harm for you.  I can make my best effort, but if I'm wrong, I am responsible to you to make it right.  Unlike Christianity, I can't go into a box and whisper "I sowwy" and pretend that fixes it.

The Rede works alongside another Wiccan principle, the Three-Fold Law: whatever energy a person puts into the world, positive or negative, will be returned to that person three times.  It's akin to the idea of karma -- and not universally held among all Wiccans, though it or something like it is broadly held.  Also, it refers to reward and/or punishment occurring in this world, not in any after- or next life.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 19, 2018, 05:27:33 PM
That was one of the things about Wicca I liked when I practiced it: I can't define harm for you.  I can make my best effort, but if I'm wrong, I am responsible to you to make it right.  Unlike Christianity, I can't go into a box and whisper "I sowwy" and pretend that fixes it.

The Rede works alongside another Wiccan principle, the Three-Fold Law: whatever energy a person puts into the world, positive or negative, will be returned to that person three times.  It's akin to the idea of karma -- and not universally held among all Wiccans, though it or something like it is broadly held.  Also, it refers to reward and/or punishment occurring in this world, not in any after- or next life.

So, you're Wiccan?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 05:37:32 PM
So, you're Wiccan?
I was, from 1984 to around 2004.  And then I finally threw in my lot with evidence and reason after spending a little time trying to justify magic through the observer effect in quantum mechanics and science kept winning over belief.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 19, 2018, 07:18:59 PM
I was, from 1984 to around 2004.  And then I finally threw in my lot with evidence and reason after spending a little time trying to justify magic through the observer effect in quantum mechanics and science kept winning over belief.

Well to the present, LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on May 19, 2018, 07:18:59 PM

If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't - Feynman
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2018, 05:13:14 AM
Well to the present, LOL!
There was a brief flirtation along the way with Discordianism because of quantum randomness...

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on May 22, 2018, 01:19:18 PM
There was a brief flirtation along the way with Discordianism because of quantum randomness...

Isn't Acid Rock dischordian, or is that Heavy Metal? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 22, 2018, 01:19:18 PM

I suspect a rational universe usually makes the most sense.  I don't mean a "THINKING" rational universe, that would imply agency.  Just one with rules...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 03:42:40 AM
I suspect a rational universe usually makes the most sense.  I don't mean a "THINKING" rational universe, that would imply agency.  Just one with rules...

There are rules, but no ruler? ... unless you mean a wooden one from school days.  See, abuse of language, everywhere.  There is recurrence of pattern, that isn't a rule, just a pattern, which inductively (logic) doesn't always work out.  Black swans.  Y'all still don't take David Hume seriously.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.