News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are Christians and Muslims idolaters?

Started by Greatest I am, May 05, 2018, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 05, 2018, 08:16:01 PM
Cavebear, I don't root against the Nationals.  I sort of feel sorry for them--they seemed to have inherited the genes of their forerunners, the Expos.  They just can't win for some reason.  Not even Harper can seem to push them over the hump.  I mean a team with Tim Raines, Larry Walker and Steve Rogers couldn't win it all either--should have at least once.  Good luck, except against the Giants or Yankees. :))

We are without 2 of our starters and faced the coldest schedule in April.  The Nationals just won 5 of 6.

See your guys in October, I hope.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 05, 2018, 08:20:03 PM
Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. That applies to all claims, no matter how much you want your unsupported claim to be true. As they say, pics or it didn't happen.

The problem to be overcome is that some people dismiss evidence that does not accord with their version on reality even when it IS evidence.  They claim "fake news" or "liar". The object of my post was to suggest a way to engage people in the process of looking at evidence that they themselves consider meaningful.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on May 05, 2018, 08:23:04 PM
We are without 2 of our starters and faced the coldest schedule in April.  The Nationals just won 5 of 6.

See your guys in October, I hope.  ;)
That would be fun.  Not worried about the Nats right now.  It is a long season.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 05, 2018, 08:16:15 PM
This televangelist says that freedom of religion only applies to Christianity:

On his radio program yesterday, the American Family Association’s Bryan Fischer declared, once again, that only Christianity is protected by the First Amendment and that all non-Christiansâ€"including Jews, Muslims and Native Americansâ€"have no constitutionally guaranteed right to freely practice their faiths.

And yet, it's the Christians who are being oppressed by us God-forsaken atheists.
How can Christians not understand freedom of religion?  If it was just one Christian, I could write that off.  This has been going on long enough that they should all understand by now how the concept works.  It's not freedom of Christianity.  It's freedom of religion.  But they can't seem to stop thinking they're more special than everyone else.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2018, 06:12:10 AM
How can Christians not understand freedom of religion?  If it was just one Christian, I could write that off.  This has been going on long enough that they should all understand by now how the concept works.  It's not freedom of Christianity.  It's freedom of religion.  But they can't seem to stop thinking they're more special than everyone else.

Some American Christians believe freedom of religion means freedom to choose a denomination of Christianity.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 06, 2018, 08:07:14 AM
Some American Christians believe freedom of religion means freedom to choose a denomination of Christianity.
Yes, that's how I wished I would have written it.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 06, 2018, 08:07:14 AM

That is what it was originally.  But Washington was pro-Jewish, because of Freemasonry.  We have moved on.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2018, 06:12:10 AM

In Israel, atheist cultural Judaism dominates.  So conform or be punished.  In the US, materialist cultural Christianity dominates.  So conform or be punished.  How come, dissenters etc from whatever society they live in, don't get that the majority are not going to support your deviance?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 05, 2018, 08:20:03 PM
Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. That applies to all claims, no matter how much you want your unsupported claim to be true. As they say, pics or it didn't happen.

And pics can be easily faked.  So don't believe in anything, particularly if a politician is talking to you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 05, 2018, 06:22:57 PM
It's pretty silly to accuse people who don't believe in a god of worshiping a physical object as if it were a god.  Belief in a god is kinda a prerequisite for that.

Give all your filthy lucre to me ... I need it more than you ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 05, 2018, 06:13:29 PM
Yeah, I do subscribe in the idea of moderation in everything.  And I suppose that epistemology can be taken to excess-----but how?

You are a prime example, patient zero.  Like Wimpy, who only ate hamburgers.  But you are free to do that (free thought if not free action).  Unbeliever might be a better example.  Perhaps you two should fight it out?  Who can be the most nihilist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 06, 2018, 08:41:36 AM
How come, dissenters etc from whatever society they live in, don't get that the majority are not going to support your deviance?
How come the majority etc from whatever society you live in, don't realize when they are acting like idiots?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 06, 2018, 08:48:24 AM
How come the majority etc from whatever society you live in, don't realize when they are acting like idiots?

You don't accept evolution.  We are monkeys.  Don't expect much from that.

There are no Poindexters (Brites etc) just pretentious monkeys.  But are you really Mandark?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 06, 2018, 08:45:30 AM
You are a prime example, patient zero.  Like Wimpy, who only ate hamburgers.  But you are free to do that (free thought if not free action).  Unbeliever might be a better example.  Perhaps you two should fight it out?  Who can be the most nihilist.
That was an answer?  Let me ask again.  Epistemology is the search for knowledge.  How can that be taken to excess?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 06, 2018, 10:16:10 AM
That was an answer?  Let me ask again.  Epistemology is the search for knowledge.  How can that be taken to excess?

You can seek knowledge.  But you can't easily find it, because monkeys can't.  Well, because truth in general, and even facts, are slippery things, particularly expressed in any human language.

And per Delphi ... "nothing in excess".  But then the Greeks were evil White people, right?  After all, they invented what we now call epistemology, because they invented what we now call philosophy.

Epistemology as your only thing, means you neglect metaphysics, logic and axiology (ethics and aesthetics).  If you do something to 100% (excess), then how can you have any time for the other parts of philosophy?  How can you have any life for non-philosophy left over?

For example, if you take baseball fandom to excess, you will forget to eat, drink and defecate ... and die.  What we are defining psychologically, is mono-mania.

Epistemology has developed from the time of Aristotle ... who didn't have much experimental science (Archimedes did that) and who didn't have much math (Euclid did that).  But say by 200 BCE ... it was pretty well developed, if not practiced much.  In Alexandria, they invented steam engines and other mechanical contrivances.  Even special purpose analog computers (in gears, like Babbage).  But it was hard to make any progress while the Romans were busy robbing, raping and killing.

And then the barbarians got better at robbing, raping and killing than the Romans.  Political-economics trumps science and technology, until the powers-that-be realized that science and technology can help them increase their power (see nuclear weapons).  The effete Europeans continued on with the LSC.  But the US cancelled the SSC in the early 90s, because they realized that it wasn't going to help them (peak nuclear science), but they did push the Internet (which as a technology is a god-send for the State and for tyranny).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.