News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

USA Pledge of Allegiance

Started by IMMadAsHell, June 18, 2013, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMMadAsHell

I am proposing an amendment to the pledge so that we can be all inclusive.  After all why should Christians get it all.  

I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, Allah, Yahweh, Ababinini, Yu-huang, Chukwu, or none at all, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

There are probably more deities out there in the good old USA that are believed but these are the only ones that I could find with my limited research capabilities.
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony

Two hands working can accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer. – Anonymous

missingnocchi

What's a "Leppo?"

Solitary

[-X  :rollin:  You younger crowd here probably don't know the pledge in my day never had "under God" in it. This pledge says liberty and justice for all, tell that to the minorities and women that lived then.  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Hydra009

Quote from: "IMMadAsHell"I am proposing an amendment to the pledge so that we can be all inclusive.  After all why should Christians get it all.  

I pledge allegiance to a perfectly ordinary piece of cloth in a mindless act of submission to
whichever federal government whose territory I happened to be born into
and to the Republic for which it used to be,
one nation increasingly divided, with liberty and/or justice for those who can afford it
FIFY.

Unbeliever

This is a really old thread, but I didn't want to start a brand new one when there was already a perfectly good one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWTSm6duXk

I hope this will become a trend and go viral across the whole country.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 13, 2018, 07:41:41 PM
This is a really old thread, but I didn't want to start a brand new one when there was already a perfectly good one here:

I pledge allegiance to Ho Chi Minh ...
And to the communism for which he stands ...
One politburo, under proletarian dictatorship, within the Comintern ...
With liberty for all revolutionary cadre, and death for all running dogs of capitalism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Poison Tree

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 13, 2018, 07:41:41 PM

Unfortunately they caved quickly
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I agree that the pledge should be all inclusive, but it's just a pledge, one of the first memorizations we learn as children.  As a small child, I enjoyed saying it every morning in school, but only because it was something we could all do and perform equally well.  But mostly, it's just some bullshit we learned to recite.  It's not legally binding.  No one is committed to believing that it reflects some kind of reality about the United States of America.  I kind of understood that as a child.  I remember when they added "under God" because there was a lot of approving fal-der-rahl about it, both in school and at home. 

Today, I feel a mild annoyance when we say it because it seems like indoctrination forced upon us by an entity of highly questionable ethics.  Not that I feel more allegiance to some other country.  It just doesn't mean much to me, especially when I'm pledging allegiance to the whole package (the USA and all it stands for), much of which is downright distasteful.

When it's all said and done, no one is going to come back at me for opposing one of our stupid wars and remind me that I made a pledge or took an oath to support the folly and bigotry of a president, Congress, or the Supreme Court. 

Baruch

Patriotism is a tricky subject, even for patriots.  However not all people opposed to the Vietnam war, in the US, did it because LBJ was the monster who started it ... we didn't know that until much later.  2005 vs 1965.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/navalhistory/2008-02/truth-about-tonkin.

Not that knowing in advance, declassified info revealed 40 years later is the only reason for opposing a particular war, or any war.

But after this much time, the actual reasons why people supported or didn't support it ... have become very rose colored.

We could out much more quickly what a turkey shoot the 2003 Iraq war was.  Partly because of alt-journalism.  You would have never heard of it from MSM.

If you really want to pledge to immaculate conception ethics, be a Jesus Freak.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Poison Tree on August 14, 2018, 12:23:04 AM
Unfortunately they caved quickly

Damn, that sucks, but I didn't really expect it to last long, my pessimism wouldn't allow me to think otherwise.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

It's just another one of those commandments of Jesus that are completely ignored:

Matthew 5:34-37
QuoteBut I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

James 5:12
QuoteBut above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

Taking an on oath or a pledge is swearing, but I bet Christians have some verbal gymnastics to allow it anyway.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2018, 01:34:29 PM
Damn, that sucks, but I didn't really expect it to last long, my pessimism wouldn't allow me to think otherwise.

I am a pessimist too.  It is the shared experience of both theist and atheist.  Time/Chronos is a devouring Father.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2018, 01:42:12 PM
It's just another one of those commandments of Jesus that are completely ignored:

Matthew 5:34-37

James 5:12

Taking an on oath or a pledge is swearing, but I bet Christians have some verbal gymnastics to allow it anyway.

Quakers agree with you.  Are you a Quaker?

Christians ignore scripture.  They are right to do so.  Since the Devil can quote scripture to His own purpose.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.