News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

USA Pledge of Allegiance

Started by IMMadAsHell, June 18, 2013, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 22, 2018, 03:40:10 PM
I recall that by high school, no one bothered doing the pledge and the teachers didn't bother trying to enforce it.

But if students must recite the pledge of allegiance, I recommend bringing back the Bellamy salute.

That was a good change, in 1942.  We want to be clear which asshole group we were allied with.  At that time S Democrats and Republicans sided with the Axis.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 22, 2018, 04:00:10 PM
Yeah, as I recall, it just quietly went away.  It gradually went from mandatory to suggested to occasionally to 'occasionally rare' to forgotten.  That's the way I remember.  In grade school, it was kind of fun saying it, but that wasn't enough to keep it going.  I'd like to understand the group psychology that changed it's importance.

That is what I remember.  Pretty much there in the first three grades.  Probably the Establishment was trying to not stir things up too much, while ramping up the Vietnam War?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: ferdmonger on September 22, 2018, 12:33:31 AM
Whenever required to say the pledge, I always say 'one nation under bob'. 

Small victories and all.

Underbreath victories are cheap, but yeah, that's how I started.  Ya gotta dip your toe in the water first to see what bites and then jump later.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Feral Atheist on September 16, 2018, 11:11:56 PM
I propose we go back to the Pledge I learned in the first grade, when there was no mention of imaginary deities.

(Under god was added in 1954)

Yes, I'm that damn old

And I'm that damned old too.  Almost.  But within remembering.

I would love to see some House Member (retiring of course) sneak in "Restore the Pledge Of Allegiance as it was in 1950" into a huge complicated budget bill.  And if that worked, get "In God We Trust" off our currency.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 03:03:16 AM
And I'm that damned old too.  Almost.  But within remembering.

I would love to see some House Member (retiring of course) sneak in "Restore the Pledge Of Allegiance as it was in 1950" into a huge complicated budget bill.  And if that worked, get "In God We Trust" off our currency.

Good suggestions actually.  Those are old virtue signaling bull-shits.  We should say In Satan We Trust etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 06:45:35 AM
Good suggestions actually.  Those are old virtue signaling bull-shits.  We should say In Satan We Trust etc.

Being an actual atheist, I care little for Satan either.  I leave him to the elves.  BTW, did you notice the son Christopher has published 'The Fall of Gondolin'?  I hope it isn't "Gondolin With The Wind'...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 01:21:19 PM
Being an actual atheist, I care little for Satan either.  I leave him to the elves.  BTW, did you notice the son Christopher has published 'The Fall of Gondolin'?  I hope it isn't "Gondolin With The Wind'...

Well, haven't read much of that since the hard back version of the Silmarillion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 01:37:37 PM
Well, haven't read much of that since the hard back version of the Silmarillion.

Seriously, check out the new trilogy.  The critics like them.  On the other hand, "don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers".

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 01:21:19 PM
Or how about "Gondolin 60 Seconds"? LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

GSOgymrat

It's Buzzfeed but it's on topic.

Texas Just Said In Court That A Black Girl Had To Stand For The Pledge Of Allegiance

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/dominicholden/texas-black-student-india-landry-stand-pledge-allegiance-nfl

The state of Texas inserted itself into a lawsuit in federal court Tuesday to help argue that a black high school student was required to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, once again kicking the political football of flag protests into play weeks before the fall election. ...

Landry â€" then 17, now 18 â€" was attending Windfern High School in Houston last fall, where she had abstained from the Pledge of Allegiance more than 200 times without a problem, she said in a complaint filed in federal court. But on Oct. 2, 2017, she was in Principal Martha Strother’s office when she refused to stand during the pledge. “Principal Strother upon seeing this immediately expelled India from school saying ‘Well you’re kicked outta here,’” the complaint continues, adding that a school secretary then added, “This is not the NFL.” ...

Baruch

So encouraging race war, are we?  When the Dems aren't enslaving Blacks, they are using them as troops against the Reps.  And Blacks don't get the irony.  Sounds like a narrative written in Moscow to me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 01:40:16 PM
Seriously, check out the new trilogy.  The critics like them.  On the other hand, "don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers".

Just discovered Amazon is offerring a special of the last 3 hardback books for $46.39.  I ordered them.