News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

USA Pledge of Allegiance

Started by IMMadAsHell, June 18, 2013, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

It was always only the "under God" part that bothered me as a child.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 01:41:53 PM
It was always only the "under God" part that bothered me as a child.

Given your nature, from your youth, that is only natural.  I think you are a patriot, just not the same flavor as I am.  And I don't suppose your reservation about that oath, was because you or your parents were communists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: SGOS on August 14, 2018, 09:22:33 AM
I agree that the pledge should be all inclusive, but it's just a pledge, one of the first memorizations we learn as children.  As a small child, I enjoyed saying it every morning in school, but only because it was something we could all do and perform equally well.  But mostly, it's just some bullshit we learned to recite.  It's not legally binding.  No one is committed to believing that it reflects some kind of reality about the United States of America.  I kind of understood that as a child.  I remember when they added "under God" because there was a lot of approving fal-der-rahl about it, both in school and at home. 

Today, I feel a mild annoyance when we say it because it seems like indoctrination forced upon us by an entity of highly questionable ethics.  Not that I feel more allegiance to some other country.  It just doesn't mean much to me, especially when I'm pledging allegiance to the whole package (the USA and all it stands for), much of which is downright distasteful.

When it's all said and done, no one is going to come back at me for opposing one of our stupid wars and remind me that I made a pledge or took an oath to support the folly and bigotry of a president, Congress, or the Supreme Court. 

Still brainwasing and propaganda

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on September 15, 2018, 03:40:19 PM
Still brainwasing and propaganda

But are you anarchist?  Anti-Education anti-parents?  Otherwise ... you can't escape the brainwashing or the propaganda.  At least in that case, you end up with a clean brain that is also blindly obedient.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Anyone else take the Boy Scout oath?

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Yeah, I wasn't able to keep that oath..

Unbeliever

The only thing to which we should be pledging allegiance is the Constitution of the U.S. - not the flag, not the president, not the national anthem.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 15, 2018, 07:39:12 PM

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

I remember that!  Some things you can't unlearn.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 15, 2018, 07:55:49 PM
The only thing to which we should be pledging allegiance is the Constitution of the U.S. - not the flag, not the president, not the national anthem.

Military pledges to the Constitution, as ordered by the President and officers appointed by him/her.  All enemies, foreign and domestic.  One really can't salute the flag, except as symbolic of the above, though obviously the "under god" part doesn't disqualify atheist personnel.  The national anthem again is symbolic of the primary oath was well, in the same qualified manner.

Otherwise ... one is being a Confederate or worse.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Obviously the "morally straight" is harder for some of us.  That and "reverent" ... but the rest are pretty reliable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I think of the Pledge in terms of what the flag is supposed to stand for, so I don't have a real problem with it.  I do leave out two words towards the end, however.  And I'm wavering on whether I think 'indivisible' is an appropriate word to include; I happen to believe that states do have the right to secede if they so choose.  The Supreme Court has so far only ruled that unilateral secession is not Constitutional, although that decision was handed down only four years after the Civil War, and I don't think they were in much of a mood to legitimize anything done by the Confederacy.

But fundamentally, if the Congress agreed to allow, say, Texas secede and then Texas voted to secede either by vote in the state house or by binding plebescite â€" or if Texas presented Congress with a request to secede and convinced Congress to pass it â€" there's no reason Texas can't secede.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

The only reason why Texas would secede, is so that we can unambiguously invade and conquer the other 49 states ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

That's what military people do. I swear to defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic. ...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Yeah, I took that.  But my hand was not on a bible so it did not count. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 16, 2018, 03:02:04 PM
That's what military people do. I swear to defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic. ...
I took that oath.  So, with that oath in mind, should not the Joint Chiefs of Staff be planning to remove Trump from office and return this country to rule by the constitution????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I definitely think of Trump as a "domestic enemy."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman