News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Retarded Twitter

Started by Draconic Aiur, May 02, 2018, 04:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

So some chick decides to war a Chinese dress to prom because she liked it and some asshole decided it was offensive. Meanwhile the whole internet is losing their shit over this bs "cultural appropriation" that sounds very racist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/05/01/its-just-a-dress-teens-chinese-prom-attire-stirs-cultural-appropriation-debate/?noredirect=on

QuoteIt’s that time of year in high school, the season of the highly anticipated, stress-inducing rite of passage called prom.

Like many other teenagers preparing for prom, Utah senior Keziah Daum wanted to find a dress that would stand out, “something that would be more unique and bold and had some sort of meaning to it,” she said in an interview with The Washington Post.

Daum decided to browse a vintage store in downtown Salt Lake City, where she came across a red cheongsam, also known as a qipao â€" the high-collared, form-fitting traditional Chinese dress.

“I thought it was absolutely beautiful,” said Daum, who is not Chinese. She appreciated its high neckline, a difficult trait to find in many prom dresses. The dress, she said, “really gave me a sense of appreciation and admiration for other cultures and their beauty.”

On a Sunday after the dance last month, like many other social media-savvy high schoolers, she posted a photo in her dress alongside her friends.

She had no idea it would elicit such a response.

“My culture is NOT your …. prom dress,” a man named Jeremy Lam tweeted days later, sharing the photos she posted.

“I’m proud of my culture, including the extreme barriers marginalized people within that culture have had to overcome those obstacles,” Lam also wrote. “For it to simply be subject to American consumerism and cater to a white audience, is parallel to colonial ideology.”

The tweet, which has been shared nearly 42,000 times, spurred an onslaught of similar criticism of Daum’s prom dress, with many people on Twitter accusing her of cultural appropriation.

“This isn’t ok,” wrote another Twitter user. “I wouldn’t wear traditional Korean, Japanese or any other traditional dress and I’m Asian. I wouldn’t wear traditional Irish or Swedish or Greek dress either. There’s a lot of history behind these clothes.”

Another wrote: “you just don’t wear it if ur not. chinese … it’s not something to play dress up with.”

It was the latest example of the long-running debate over the fine line between appreciating and appropriating culture.

GSOgymrat

You bitches need to stop appropriating my culture.

https://youtu.be/LobAQURjCxw

GSOgymrat

Teenager’s Prom Dress Stirs Furor in U.S. â€" but Not in China

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/world/asia/chinese-prom-dress.html

... When the furor reached Asia, though, many seemed to be scratching their heads. Far from being critical of Ms. Daum, who is not Chinese, many people in mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan proclaimed her choice of the traditional high-necked dress as a victory for Chinese culture.

“I am very proud to have our culture recognized by people in other countries,” said someone called Snail Trail, commenting on a post of the Utah episode by a popular account on WeChat, the messaging and social media platform, that had been read more than 100,000 times.

“It’s ridiculous to criticize this as cultural appropriation,” Zhou Yijun, a Hong Kong-based cultural commentator, said in a telephone interview. “From the perspective of a Chinese person, if a foreign woman wears a qipao and thinks she looks pretty, then why shouldn’t she wear it?”

If anything, the uproar surrounding Ms. Daum’s dress prompted many Chinese to reflect on examples of cultural appropriation in their own country.

“So does that mean when we celebrate Christmas and Halloween it’s also cultural appropriation?” asked one WeChat user, Larissa. ...

Johan

Its a dress. Fuck those people.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

I always liked those dresses, complemented with some left over chopsticks in the woman's hair.  This is not a joke.  Seriously, I think that style is cool.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 03, 2018, 09:31:03 AM
I always liked those dresses, complemented with some left over chopsticks in the woman's hair.  This is not a joke.  Seriously, I think that style is cool.

A woman has to be pretty thin to flatter that style of dress.  Kimono (with easy fake obi) looks nice too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Apparently, his culture IS her prom dress. Why else would he find a piece of woven fabrics so offensive, if his entire culture couldn't just be boiled down to fashion sense?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

I wish shit like this would happen to me so i could simply tell everyone to fuck off, kiss buy ass, and bury your nose in my scrotum…..in any particular order.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

I understand white people wearing like feather hairdresses being unacceptable, and the appropriation of African American culture being extremely problematic, but that has much more to do with the spiritual aspect for the native Americans and the history of whites and Africans.

This I think is much more a grey zone of "why?"; I personally don't have any problem with people wearing say Italian clothing or middle eastern outfits because they think it looks nice. It's when people wear it to look "exotic" or funny that I think it enters the realm of offensive. And I think that applies to other cultures as well.

If Chinese people aren't offended by it, and she was wearing it as a form of appreciation, then I really don't think it's anyone business. Cultures trade fashion and cultural traits all the time.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 03, 2018, 07:00:50 PMCultures trade fashion and cultural traits all the time.
As it should be.  I've gotta say, I find "progressive" people objecting to this to be very much akin to the right-wing xenophobia SJWs claim to combat.  I saw a post a while ago about how white kids shouldn't dress up as Black Panther.  It struck me as something a Klansman would say.

Munch

So, where roughly is the arbitrary offense line these days when it comes to whats acceptable from other cultures and whats not? If a black kid wants to dress up like a white super hero like say thor, is that okay? What if a white kid wants to dress up like black panther, or storm from the x-men?

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 03, 2018, 07:00:50 PM
I understand white people wearing like feather hairdresses being unacceptable, and the appropriation of African American culture being extremely problematic, but that has much more to do with the spiritual aspect for the native Americans and the history of whites and Africans.

This I think is much more a grey zone of "why?"; I personally don't have any problem with people wearing say Italian clothing or middle eastern outfits because they think it looks nice. It's when people wear it to look "exotic" or funny that I think it enters the realm of offensive. And I think that applies to other cultures as well.

If Chinese people aren't offended by it, and she was wearing it as a form of appreciation, then I really don't think it's anyone business. Cultures trade fashion and cultural traits all the time.

Make all the Greeks give up pants ... those are Persian!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2018, 07:41:43 PM
As it should be.  I've gotta say, I find "progressive" people objecting to this to be very much akin to the right-wing xenophobia SJWs claim to combat.  I saw a post a while ago about how white kids shouldn't dress up as Black Panther.  It struck me as something a Klansman would say.

Only Whites are evil.  Only Anglophones are White.  Put two and two together.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 03, 2018, 08:39:41 PM
So, where roughly is the arbitrary offense line these days when it comes to whats acceptable from other cultures and whats not? If a black kid wants to dress up like a white super hero like say thor, is that okay? What if a white kid wants to dress up like black panther, or storm from the x-men?
For me, it has to be super duper offensive (we're talking like minstrel show tier stuff) to rustle my jimmies.  And even then, I'm not keen on getting the law involved to enforce my sensibilities, because I know what's bound to happen when someone who's sensibilities differ from mine get power.

I tend to worry more about actual harm than hurt fee-fees, a stance that hasn't endeared me to my more SJW peers.  Suffice it to say that policing halloween costumes and prom dresses is not a high priority for me.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2018, 09:13:09 PM
For me, it has to be super duper offensive (we're talking like minstrel show tier stuff) to rustle my jimmies.  And even then, I'm not keen on getting the law involved to enforce my sensibilities, because I know what's bound to happen when someone who's sensibilities differ from mine get power.

I tend to worry more about actual harm than hurt fee-fees, a stance that hasn't endeared me to my more SJW peers.  Suffice it to say that policing halloween costumes and prom dresses is not a high priority for me.

I'm kind of hoping history looks back at this era as The Age of Offense, as a cautionary tale of what happened to people with thin skin
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin