News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679

Started by Cavebear, May 29, 2018, 11:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

How is the site reacting to this?  Does it affect us?  Are we at threat?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Naru

Hey Cavebear,

As of right now, there is nothing we need to worry about as we don't collect data. The only data we collect is email address which counts as personal information.

Jason78

Here, have my social security number and password :
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

SGOS

"General Data Protection Regulation" sounds like a good thing, but names of bills are often written to sound positive to the public, when much of the time, they don't do what they sound like they are doing, and sometimes do the exact opposite function only to increase corporate power. 

The Forest Health and Improvement Act is the first one that caught my attention years ago, and it was all about creating more clear cuts.  I wondered how many other good sounding bills had been doing the same all along.  I saw a slew of these misnamed laws when I was active in the conservation movement.  Trump wants to lower medication costs to consumers by forcing other countries to raise their prices.  While he hasn't named this yet, he's using the same technique to imply something that is bad for the public good is going to be good for the public good.  Even The Affordable Health Care Act, while it did eliminate the pre-existing condition loophole, doesn't make Healthcare more affordable, except for a minority niche group.

I have never even heard of the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR, but upon reading the name, the first thought that comes to my mind is how this is going to help Facebook fuck its users.  But maybe it's a good thing.  Don't judge a book by it's cover, but don't assume the cover is always a coverup.

Jason78

Quote from: SGOS on June 19, 2018, 06:19:46 AM
I have never even heard of the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR, but upon reading the name, the first thought that comes to my mind is how this is going to help Facebook fuck its users.

It's the other way around.

It puts users in control of their data, not corporations.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: Jason78 on June 19, 2018, 01:09:45 PM

You guys name your bills using a different method than we do. :-)

_Xenu_

As far as I know, this site is not hosted in the EU and we do not have to abide by their laws. If it is, I suggest moving to a US host. 
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

_Xenu_

Quote from: Naru on June 18, 2018, 01:15:02 PM
Hey Cavebear,

As of right now, there is nothing we need to worry about as we don't collect data. The only data we collect is email address which counts as personal information.
Look what they are voting on next month.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180525/10072939912/forget-gdpr-eus-new-copyright-proposal-will-be-complete-utter-disaster-internet.shtml
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on June 19, 2018, 01:09:45 PM

Users = unelected EU commissioners.  Not even elected EU representatives.  The EU is an autocratic meritocratic nightmare.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 19, 2018, 06:19:46 AM
"General Data Protection Regulation" sounds like a good thing, but names of bills are often written to sound positive to the public, when much of the time, they don't do what they sound like they are doing, and sometimes do the exact opposite function only to increase corporate power. 

The Forest Health and Improvement Act is the first one that caught my attention years ago, and it was all about creating more clear cuts.  I wondered how many other good sounding bills had been doing the same all along.  I saw a slew of these misnamed laws when I was active in the conservation movement.  Trump wants to lower medication costs to consumers by forcing other countries to raise their prices.  While he hasn't named this yet, he's using the same technique to imply something that is bad for the public good is going to be good for the public good.  Even The Affordable Health Care Act, while it did eliminate the pre-existing condition loophole, doesn't make Healthcare more affordable, except for a minority niche group.

I have never even heard of the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR, but upon reading the name, the first thought that comes to my mind is how this is going to help Facebook fuck its users.  But maybe it's a good thing.  Don't judge a book by it's cover, but don't assume the cover is always a coverup.

I understand completely.  So many laws or regulations in today's world are Orwellian.  "The Forest Health and Improvement Act" promotes clearcutting.  And I've come across so many examples over the years.  But can I find one?  No.  Some subjects are really hard to search...

Do you have more examples?  I would like to try to make a list.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 19, 2018, 10:47:28 PM
Do you have more examples?  I would like to try to make a list.
Now that I'm on the spot, I have the same problem listing.  Like you, I know there are others, I just never made an actual list, and we are talking about things 30 years in the past.  The point is that leaders twist things, don't do what they claim, and pedal bullshit.  And I don't think this behavior is something unique to Trump.  He's just more brazen and  willing to plumb deeper into the limits of human gullibility.

The EPA, Environmental Protection Agency!  I don't know what the original intention was, possibly something good, possibly something well intended.  And it does clean up a lot of shit left behind by mining corporations that have extracted all they can from a mine but declare bankruptcy when it's time to clean up the mess.  Originally, I thought the EPA was there to enforce laws that protect the environment, but what they really seem to do is use tax revenues of the innocent to pay the bills of corporate opportunists.

It's part of modern CAPITALISM, which is another ideological concept of good intention which has been perverted by law makers seeking to transfer wealth from the middle class to the wealthy.

Words don't mean what they intend, and laws often don't do what they say.  And while many people understand this, the common reaction is that it's normal and business as usual.  I suppose people react that way because they realize it's hopeless, and know there nothing is to be gained by anger.  We cannot hold our own in a corrupt system that is tilted against us, and serenity is maintained by ignoring the corruption.

Baruch

What does "tilting at windmills get you"?  Ask Don Quixote ... all he got was a book ... but that was better than a lousy tee-shirt.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.