Furious mother branded racist for calling her mixed race son 'Cheeky Monkey'

Started by Munch, April 27, 2018, 12:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 01, 2018, 04:36:43 AM
Right so because a completely unrelated story happened it can be applied to this one? Trying to find a loophole for any means to excuse the ridiculous statement the other woman made

SJWs circle wagons .. no wrong analogy, they circle tee-pees ... because Rousseau.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on May 01, 2018, 04:36:43 AM
Right so because a completely unrelated story happened it can be applied to this one? Trying to find a loophole for any means to excuse the ridiculous statement the other woman made

Except I literally started, first sentence, saying I don't think this was racist.

My second remark was all it was; a remark that having a mixed baby doesn't mean you can't be racist, which was implied here.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Removal of Dawn of Man Display in Chicago explained:  Constructed in 1933 and removed in 1994 because of scientific inaccuracy, at least according to the museums own website.  If it was because of racist content, the museum is not publicizing that.  However, I'm taking their word on this one for 3 reasons.  I don't remember racist overtones, I know the content of anthropological knowledge changed in those 60 years, and I believe most museum types would applaud the institution owning up to past mistakes   The  picture is of one life size diorama.  Some of the other museum art can be viewed here:

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/node/5036

followed by clicking on "Browse Image Gallery".

SGOS

Sadly, museum dioramas are going the way of the dinosaur.  They were fascinating exhibits that allowed a virtual reality experience (according to the article).  Not quite, but actually better.  They were much more life like, even given their static nature.  I always expected the wax figures to turn around an look at me.  They are being replaced by television sets that explain something or other.  The last thing I want to do in a museum is watch television, but it's easier and cheaper to set up, and everyone knows how to watch a TV.

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/08/14/museum-dioramas-endangered-american-museums-358943.html

Museum Dioramas Are as Endangered as the Animals They Contain

Since museums began constructing them more than a century ago, habitat dioramas have carried millions of visitors to other times and places.

Dioramas arose in the late 1800s, largely out of a desire to return to nature following the Industrial Revolution. “These are what you might call the earliest version of virtual reality,” says Stephen Quinn, who recently retired as senior project manager and longtime diorama artist at the AMNH. The displays consist of taxidermied animals, foreground props and artfully painted panoramic backgrounds. More than just works of art, dioramas are true to science; for decades, artists and scientists went into the field to collect specimens and their surroundings and replicate them exactly as they appeared. “This sense of place and this sense of reality and a personal encounter is so strong that they are a real powerful medium for teaching science,” Quinn says.

The form peaked around the 1920s, and interest began waning after World War II. Today, dioramas are as endangered as many of the animals they portray. Since TV sets entered living rooms, and with so many subsequent technological innovations, natural history museums have agonized over what to do with their increasingly antiquated-seeming habitat dioramas. Willard Boyd, former president of Chicago’s Field Museum of Natural History, wrote in 1999 that dioramas “are often viewed by today’s visitors as a dead zoo located in a dark tunnel.”

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on May 01, 2018, 08:10:04 AM
Except I literally started, first sentence, saying I don't think this was racist.

My second remark was all it was; a remark that having a mixed baby doesn't mean you can't be racist, which was implied here.

Not saying that I disagree with your secondary/additional points that you made, but the fact is the way you brought them up, like they were points that were involved with her even had me a bit concerned that you were saying she was possibly racist.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 30, 2018, 06:38:38 PM
We are all racists, and killers.
I, like Clarence Darrow, have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great relish.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 01, 2018, 01:17:09 PM
I, like Clarence Darrow, have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great relish.

Your taxes have paid for hell, all tax payers do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 29, 2018, 12:52:30 PM
I thought it was 10 little monkeys

Both are true children's songs.  I checked and found both.  I know a lot of children's songs.  There are so many variations.  What you remember is what you heard.

I was a backseat passenger once of a friend and his girlfriend up front as we went to a dinner/theater play.  She was involved in children education for a city govt.  When she mentioned a song, I started singing it and then several more.  She was surprised and asked where I had learned then.  I told her I learned from Mom as a child.

She was surprised again and said "You remember"?  Well sure why not?  I remember songs.  The words, the tones, the patterns, the inflections...  They are earworms to me now.  But some are better than others.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!