Furious mother branded racist for calling her mixed race son 'Cheeky Monkey'

Started by Munch, April 27, 2018, 12:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 29, 2018, 01:04:56 PM
My life has been a lie

All lives are "stories" told by idiots.  It is your false memory and rationalizations strung together, at any particular time.  And it changes over time, particularly when you are elderly, it could change daily ;-)  Memory is about creative confabulation, not a video recording.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on April 29, 2018, 10:54:12 AM
The fact is, we are all monkeys.
When I was very little, I was fascinated one day by the monkeys in the zoo.  I'm talking about actual monkeys in an exhibit we were looking at, not chimps, to which we are more closely related.  I must have mentioned how much they looked like us to my father, who was predisposed to fundamentalism and joined a more fundamentalist church after my mother died.  But he responded to my comment by introducing me to the theory of evolution, which I think he regarded as fact.  I'm not sure if he later became a creationist or not.  We didn't broach the topic of religion very often in our conversations in later life.  My response at that young age, was to embrace evolution immediately with a kind of internal, "Of course!  Our relationship to monkeys is so obvious."

The Museum of Natural History in Chicago used to have a wonderful exhibit called The Dawn of Man.  It was a series of life sized dioramas of life like wax replications in their natural habitat that took up an entire hall.  It traced man's history from one of the well known early archeological finds that was thought to be in our direct lineage ending with Cro-Magnon.  Forty years later when visiting the museum again, I asked an attendant, a black woman, what happened to the Dawn of Man exhibit, which I wanted to see again.  She informed me that it had been removed, and when I asked why, she became uncomfortable, lowered her voice in a kind of an awkward gulp, and replied, "Because it was racist," or maybe she said, "Because many people THOUGHT it was racist."

I can't remember anything racist about what was probably a multi million dollar physical display, but didn't ask any more questions as it felt too awkward to pursue the conversation.  There may or may not have been racist implications in the accompanying brief texts that accompanied the display, although after 40 years, I cannot remember what the written text said.  I doubt the attendant, who was quite young, ever saw the display herself, and she seemed a bit unsure about her explanation, which she may not have been able to defend.  I think she may have gotten herself in the middle of a rumor and opinion controversy that she herself was not comfortable with.  She wasn't an anthropologist.  The poor girl was just an attendant at the general Museum Information Desk.

Baruch

A racist society produces racist dioramas.  We have better ideas what Neanderthals looked like (overbuilt beetle browed Europeans) and what Cro-Magnons looked like (modern Africans, though with blue eyes in some cases).  Think Bushmen.  That is the opposite of the old Colonial Anthropology.  Back 100 years ago, there was a battle over the origins of Egypt, where Petrie said that civilization started when more advance W Asians moved into Egypt, and Budge who said that civilization started from African culture (still to be seen in African villages back then).

The modern equivalent has been the plural-genesis vs mono-genesis debate.  Turns out both are right (of course)  There were multiple waves of early men who came out of Africa, and later-non-African folks were the crossbreed of older Neanderthals with more modern Africans.  There weren't too many Neanderthals in the tropics (they were adapted to glacial climates), so most modern Africans have none of that early Neanderthal genome, but of course both share common African ancestry that is pre-Neanderthal (early Homo Erectus).

Similarly there were non-Africans who moved into Egypt several times ... as recently as the British Empire.  But the predominant genome is NW African.  There is more than one genome in Africans.

Per a discussion on another string ... both Neanderthals and early Modern Africans were equally evolved 100,000 years ago.  They were simply adapted to different climates.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on April 30, 2018, 12:50:19 PM
A racist society produces racist dioramas.
It's quite possible that was the reason it was removed, or it could have been something else.  It could have been that the science has been deemed wrong or political correctness unrelated to the science was the cause.  But things were getting too awkward for both the attendant and myself to pursue it further, and further discussion wasn't necessary, anyway.  The bottom line was that it was gone.  I couldn't see it for myself.  From recent readings, I'm learning that what was thought to be direct lineage back then has been changed in the last 50 years through new discoveries.  Some of this could have been fixed by changing one or two of the dioramas, but at great expense.  Who knows?  When I last saw it, I was in my teens.  I knew less about the topic, wasn't as aware of racial issues, and political correctness had not yet been invented or at least was not as much in the public eye.

The museum did replace it with another Dawn of Man display, but was much less informative and focused on Australopithecus, without attempting to depict a clear progression from there.  It's my impression is that we know less today about our precise lineage than what we THOUGHT we knew back then.  So just as matter of accuracy, the new display was probably safer and less dependent on assumption.  Often, the more we learn, the more we know how much we really don't know.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 30, 2018, 01:56:12 PM
You may be thinking of "10 little Indians."
I thought they both were 10

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mike Cl

Ten Little Monkeys

Ten 10 little monkeys,         

Jumping  on the bed.

One 1 fell off and bumped his head.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."

Nine 9 little monkeys,         

Jumping  on the bed.

One 1 fell off and bumped her head.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."

Eight 8 little monkeys,       

Jumping  on the bed.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."

Seven 7 little monkeys,       

Jumping  on the bed.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."

Six 6 little monkeys,     

Jumping  on the bed.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."

Five 5 little monkeys,     

Jumping  on the bed.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."

Four 4 little monkeys,   

Jumping  on the bed.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."

Three 3 little monkeys,   

Jumping  on the bed.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed ."

Two 2 little monkeys, 

Jumping  on the bed.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."

One 1 little monkey,

Jumping  on the bed.

Mama  called the doctor,

And the doctor  said,

"No more monkeys,

Jumping  on the bed."
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

I think '10 little monkeys' is related to '87 beers on the wall.'

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 30, 2018, 02:44:14 PM
I think '10 little monkeys' is related to '87 beers on the wall.'
I remember singing that song with a group of college students as we would carpool home during a break.  We started at 100, but as often is the case, I don't know if we never made to 87.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on April 30, 2018, 03:39:10 PM
I remember singing that song with a group of college students as we would carpool home during a break.  We started at 100, but as often is the case, I don't know if we never made to 87.
I think the monkey rhyme/song, like the beer on the wall song, can start with whatever number one wants to.  I do remember a 10 monkey book that I read to the grandchildren. 

Shiranu

I've literally never heard the phrase in my life, but I doubt it was said with racist connotation.

That said, I disagree with the statement here that "She is the mother, so she OBVIOUSLY can't be racist". That is just flat out wrong, there was an article I thought was shared here about a year ago about a woman who was in some controversy due to her extremely anti-African American remarks... even though her daughter was half-black.

Having sex with a minority =/= you aren't racist.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on April 30, 2018, 05:03:53 PM
I've literally never heard the phrase in my life, but I doubt it was said with racist connotation.

That said, I disagree with the statement here that "She is the mother, so she OBVIOUSLY can't be racist". That is just flat out wrong, there was an article I thought was shared here about a year ago about a woman who was in some controversy due to her extremely anti-African American remarks... even though her daughter was half-black.

We are all racists, and killers.  Stop virtue signaling you hypocrite ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on April 30, 2018, 05:03:53 PM

Right so because a completely unrelated story happened it can be applied to this one? Trying to find a loophole for any means to excuse the ridiculous statement the other woman made
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin