Furious mother branded racist for calling her mixed race son 'Cheeky Monkey'

Started by Munch, April 27, 2018, 12:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5660649/White-mother-called-racist-calling-mixed-race-son-monkey.html

QuoteA mother has been left furious after she was branded a 'racist'  by a stranger for calling her mixed-race son a 'cheeky monkey'.

The Mumsnet user, who is white, was confronted by a black woman in the park who told her she needed to 'educate' herself about her son's race.

The mother, known only by her username, Jumpiin said she was 'reeling' at the accusation, and asked other parents if she was right to be upset.

The message board was divided, as some accused her of being insensitive for giving a mixed-race boy the nickname because 'monkey' is an offensive term used against black people.

The woman accused Jumpiin of treating her son like an accessory and accused her of not knowing anything about her son's race.

She revealed that she'd actually been learning about her partner's Swahili culture, and was learning the language with her son.

She said: 'Aibu (am I being unreasonable) to think that she was in the wrong here and that she is a part of the problem?

'And to think that I can call my child whatever I want as long as there's no malice behind it?!'

But some Mumsnet users didn't join in with her anger, and accused her of being ignorant of the history behind the word.

ArcheryAnnie posted: 'I can understand you feeling defensive, but honestly, if you want to continue to do the best for your child, please do listen to other people who have much more experience of racism than you do.

'You might not always agree with them, but getting defensive and asking for validation from others about how mean they were to you really doesn't help either you or your child.'

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed said: 'I would have thought if you have a mixed race child you would be aware of racist terms that's have been used and avoid them

"Calling white children little/cheeky monkey doesn't come along with the same horrible connotations.'

TinklyLittleLaugh agreed: 'I'm inclined to think that, on the whole, a black woman is going to have a better understanding than a white woman, of what is or is not racist, regardless of the white woman's relationships.

'I base this on my experience as a disabled person, of having more sensitivity than a non disabled person, as to what is offensive and disablist. My able bodied husband has some idea. I would still cringe at the idea of him telling a disabled person what they should be offended by.'

However, many agreed with her, calling the unnamed woman 'ridiculous' and 'mad'.

LorelaiRoryEmily said: 'Wow. That is ridiculous op, I wouldn't give her head space. People are mad.'

JamieFrasersKilt posted: 'Does that mean when I called my socially anxious kids, chicken, I was committing some sort of faux pas? She was being completely ridiculous.'

Greenlynx agreed: 'She behaved very rude towards you. You were playing with your child. it's none of her business.'

don't think I could see a finer example of idiot millennials looking to be offended for the sake of being offended. My mum use to call me cheeky monkey as a kid, she calls her own grandkids now the same thing. It doesn't have any negative context, and those looking to be offended by something are the only problem in this.

I'd personally like to give these people something to really be offended by. 

Isn't the fact her child is mixed race, by the very matter that he exists, shows she is anything but racist?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

sasuke

Quote from: Munch on April 27, 2018, 12:47:53 PM
Isn't the fact her child is mixed race, by the very matter that he exists, shows she is anything but racist?
I didn't read the entire thing. Is her kid offended by it?
If not, then I agree with you and I don't see a problem.

If the son is hurt by it, then he (and he alone, not the pretend-mad people who have nothing to do with it) can tell his mom about his feelings.

Either way, the mother couldn't be racist. Even if the son is offended by it and she continues to call him cheeky monkey. So at worst, she is insensitive. People confuse insensitive with ignorant, or insensitive with racist, and they do it to show the rest of us how evolved they are.

Munch

I've looked all over for origins of the term.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/51/messages/863.html
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cheeky_monkey
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-626498.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8xF_2Wi4j8

There is and never has been any racial connotation to the term, my mothers used it, my grandmothers used it, I've seen people on tv use it. It is a term used affectionately to describe someone being a rascal or acting silly, that is all.

Fact this idiot woman and the idiots who believed racism was involved shows me how much certain millennials want to find offense in anything.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

This reminds me of when the liberal radio stations were making a big deal about hugging the tar baby. It's not racial, but they tried to make it sound as if it were.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

I would have assumed she used the word "monkey" because her son was an energetic child, not because he was dark skinned. Sounds like that other woman needs to get her head out of the gutter.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

I think I've heard parents frequently call their very small children "little monkeys."  It's a term of endearment.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 29, 2018, 09:41:31 AM
I think I've heard parents frequently call their very small children "little monkeys."  It's a term of endearment.

You can only do that if you are African-American, otherwise it is cultural misappropriation?  The fact is, we are all monkeys.  Parents are like Golum, children are our "precious".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 27, 2018, 07:13:59 PM
This reminds me of when the liberal radio stations were making a big deal about hugging the tar baby. It's not racial, but they tried to make it sound as if it were.

When you play political victimization and identity politics, it is all about "me" "me" "me".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on April 27, 2018, 07:11:10 PM
I've looked all over for origins of the term.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/51/messages/863.html
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cheeky_monkey
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-626498.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8xF_2Wi4j8

There is and never has been any racial connotation to the term, my mothers used it, my grandmothers used it, I've seen people on tv use it. It is a term used affectionately to describe someone being a rascal or acting silly, that is all.

Fact this idiot woman and the idiots who believed racism was involved shows me how much certain millennials want to find offense in anything.

They are passive-aggressive ... D party vs aggressive-aggressive ... R party.  Basically the difference between feminine and masculine.  Our politics is really about feminism, in the sense that it has co-evolved with the war between the sexes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

wtf lol Cheeky monkey is something my parents called me. It's a common thing to call your kids, regardless of their skin color. I'm pretty light-skinned too

Blackleaf

Five Little Monkeys was a nursery rhyme I heard a lot when I was a kid. Even then, it was obvious to me that the "monkeys" in the story were children, and the rhyme was a cautionary tale.
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 29, 2018, 12:51:39 PM
Five Little Monkeys was a nursery rhyme I heard a lot when I was a kid. Even then, it was obvious to me that the "monkeys" in the story were children, and the rhyme was a cautionary tale.
I thought it was 10 little monkeys

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 27, 2018, 07:13:59 PM

Liberals at my place of work, all assume that any Southern American story (B'rer Rabbit for example) is racist.  They feel the same way about "tar baby" even when not used in reference to African-American children.  How are folks coordinating the same delusions?  Brain-washing waves from orbiting alien spaceships?  Soros really is a god?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.