When Americans Say They Believe in God, What Do They Mean?

Started by GSOgymrat, April 26, 2018, 05:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 22, 2018, 05:51:13 AM
"Millions of cults, but YOURS is the right one. Arrogant much?"

Millions of political dogmas, but YOURS is the right one.  Arrogant much?  Real skepticism means never opening one's mouth about anything.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 22, 2018, 05:51:13 AM
"Millions of cults, but YOURS is the right one. Arrogant much?"

I don't have one.  I have a belief like bald is a hair color...

You really can't quite grasp the concept of "not having a belief", can you? 

I had a friend who was riding in my car, and as I approached a traffic light I knew was very long, I said I hoped it would last til I got through.  My friend declared that to be a "prayer" since I was desiring an outcome out of my control.  I tried to explain I was merely hoping the light timing was in my favor.  And he is no longer a friend (not explicitly for that reason, but his belief in superstition wore on me after a while).

I don't take to superstitious people very well.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2018, 09:08:56 AM
I don't have one.  I have a belief like bald is a hair color...

You really can't quite grasp the concept of "not having a belief", can you? 

I had a friend who was riding in my car, and as I approached a traffic light I knew was very long, I said I hoped it would last til I got through.  My friend declared that to be a "prayer" since I was desiring an outcome out of my control.  I tried to explain I was merely hoping the light timing was in my favor.  And he is no longer a friend (not explicitly for that reason, but his belief in superstition wore on me after a while).

I don't take to superstitious people very well.
I wasn't talking about you, Bear. It's a comment I've made before and followed directly from yours, in support.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 22, 2018, 09:35:59 AM
I wasn't talking about you, Bear. It's a comment I've made before and followed directly from yours, in support.

My bad...

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2018, 10:43:02 AM
And who cares?
Oh, I'm tremendously concerned about whatever it is we're talking about.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 22, 2018, 10:55:05 AM
Oh, I'm tremendously concerned about whatever it is we're talking about.

Well if it about Trump I don't care.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on May 22, 2018, 06:22:39 AM
Millions of political dogmas, but YOURS is the right one.  Arrogant much?  Real skepticism means never opening one's mouth about anything.

Uh, no. Real skepticism is questioning the words that come out of other people's mouths. Keeping quiet when others make unsubstantiated claims is compliance, not skepticism.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 22, 2018, 12:45:09 PM
Uh, no. Real skepticism is questioning the words that come out of other people's mouths. Keeping quiet when others make unsubstantiated claims is compliance, not skepticism.

Every political claim ever made is unsubstantiated and unverifiable.  There is no physics of politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 22, 2018, 12:45:09 PM
Swooshed another one.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 22, 2018, 11:11:36 AM
Remember what Jubal Harshaw told Ben Caxton?

I have to admit I haven't the book in decades.  So Ben Caxton was "out of mind".  I had to look him up.  And that didn't remind me of much about him.  So what DID he say that interested you?