R.I.P., Michael Hastings (1980-2013)

Started by Shiranu, June 18, 2013, 07:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/michael-hastings-dead_n_3462278.html

QuoteJournalist Michael Hastings died in a car crash in Los Angeles early Tuesday at the age of 33, according to a statement from his employer, BuzzFeed.

Hastings, who was also a contributing editor at Rolling Stone, was perhaps best known for his candid Rolling Stone interview with General Stanley McChrystal, then the commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, that eventually led to McChrystal being relieved of his command.

He was also the author of two books about America's wars: The Operators, detailing the flaws of the U.S. military operation in Afghanistan, and I Lost My Love In Baghdad, about his experiences as a war correspondent in Iraq during his mid-twenties.

Hastings' dedication to journalism shines through in ten pieces of advice for young journalists that he shared on Reddit last year. "Mainly you really have to love writing and reporting. Like it's more important to you than anything else in your life--family, friends, social life, whatever," he wrote.

Michael Hastings was a reporter in Iraq and was instrumental in the resignation of General McChrystal. He was a strong critic of the war from the beginning and was one of the few journalists who had the balls to challenge the Pentagon and the White House. America has lost one of its few remaining TRUE journalists.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Farroc

That's too bad. Non-idiot journalists are hard to find.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Quote from: "Johan"Obama resigned?

...what?

Quote...the resignation of General McChrystal.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Colanth

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quotehe aggressively covered President Obama's resignation
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Farroc

QuoteAt Buzzfeed, he aggressively covered President Obama's resignation
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Shiranu

You must be being linked to one that was post-fixed, because on mine it doesn't say that anywhere in the article.

Johan

It says that right in your first post.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Oh, so it does. I was looking on the site for the error and not my quote. Posting an updated article.

Shiranu

Absolutely classless... media outlets are now bashing his name and saying his reporting wasn't actually that influential. I mean, he only got one of the head American General's fired for incompetence... how is that at all meaningful!

Even if Rush Limbaugh died tomorrow, I don't think you should wait till the day over to talk shit about him if you didn't talk shit about him when he was still alive. Absolutely classless, spineless... disgusting.

Shiranu

//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/22/michael-hastings-email_n_3484118.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

A suspicious wreck after a suspicious email while investigating an organization that has a history of murder and is currently trying to silence journalists... hmmmm...

Brian37

Quote from: "Farroc"That's too bad. Non-idiot journalists are hard to find.

What are you talking about, the world's best journalists are employed by Fox. (Did I think that, or type it?)
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37