Prince Harry's marrying Meghan Markle

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 26, 2018, 03:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Pitbulls?  That is why the Spartans had to be taken to the Pound, and put down ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 26, 2018, 08:12:45 PM
That mankind is of one species is right. But there is some racial differences amongst the people like eye and skin colour etc.
Looking biologically, the subdivision of any given species are races... Like dogo argentino and german shepherd and pitbull.
This may be a semantics game, but I don't buy into the concept of 'races' of humans.  The differences we see are tied to geography, not really biology.  As the Three Musketeers said--One for all, all for one.  We are all the same--one species, one race.  Or as Bill Nye says: "If a Papua New Guinean hooks up with a Swedish person all you get is a human.  There’s no new thing you’re going to get. You just get a human. Japanese woman jumping the African guy, all you get is a human. They’re all humans. So this is a lesson to be learned. There really is, for humankind there’s really no such thing as race. There’s different tribes but not different races. We’re all one species."

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 26, 2018, 08:58:07 PM
This may be a semantics game, but I don't buy into the concept of 'races' of humans.  The differences we see are tied to geography, not really biology.  As the Three Musketeers said--One for all, all for one.  We are all the same--one species, one race.  Or as Bill Nye says: "If a Papua New Guinean hooks up with a Swedish person all you get is a human.  There’s no new thing you’re going to get. You just get a human. Japanese woman jumping the African guy, all you get is a human. They’re all humans. So this is a lesson to be learned. There really is, for humankind there’s really no such thing as race. There’s different tribes but not different races. We’re all one species."

Every tribe must fight or die.  Equality only applies to tribal members, not outsiders.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

This may be a semantics game, but I don't buy into the concept of 'races' of humans.  The differences we see are tied to geography, not really biology. 
Actually the differences can be due to both.  But even if the differences were entirely geographical, they would still be differences, minor as they are, but differences to which you yourself refer.  Shunning the word seems to be politically motivated.  I'm not sure it's the right approach to solving a big problem.

We are all the same--one species, one race.  Or as Bill Nye says: "If a Papua New Guinean hooks up with a Swedish person all you get is a human. 
Yes human.  It is the common term for the species Homo Sapiens, which is a species.  Race as a term which describes differences in a species, has recently fallen out of fashion.  This may be politically correct, and it may have positive consequences if we abolish the word race, although I don't think it will.  The differences will remain.  The problem is with humans, who assign unwarranted and logically unsupported values to race.

Japanese woman jumping the African guy, all you get is a human.
What else would you expect?  Eventually, if we interbreed globally, we will still all be humans, and race may cease to exist outwardly.  Then there will be one race.  Until that time, we just need to learn to be kind to each other.

There should be no shame in being of a race, or in observing another person's race.  The problem is in humans, not words.  Humans, as pure as the species is, approach differences in the species in negative ways.  This is wrong, I think.  We shouldn't do that.

SGOS

What does this have to do with Prince Harry?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 27, 2018, 05:26:22 AM

Mike CLs reaction to SoldierOfFortune.  You have to read the entire thread, to understand one entry (why people don't always get my posts either).

The idea that if we are all of the same genetics (Han Chinese), speak the same language (Mandarin Chinese), have one political party (CP of the PRC), and have one fearless leader (Emperor Xi) ... is stupid.  SGOS is correct that apes will be apes ... stupid and violent.  Basically the idea of Shi Huang Di or Alexander ... or their predecessors ... springs from megalomania, not beneficence.  Typical of the Elite ... "if all of mankind had one neck, I would cut it" - Caligula.  Naive optimism kills, just like being a naif entering Mos Eiseley alien bar is a light saber accident waiting to happen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on April 27, 2018, 05:05:44 AM
Actually the differences can be due to both.  But even if the differences were entirely geographical, they would still be differences, minor as they are, but differences to which you yourself refer.  Shunning the word seems to be politically motivated.  I'm not sure it's the right approach to solving a big problem.
Yes human.  It is the common term for the species Homo Sapiens, which is a species.  Race as a term which describes differences in a species, has recently fallen out of fashion.  This may be politically correct, and it may have positive consequences if we abolish the word race, although I don't think it will.  The differences will remain.  The problem is with humans, who assign unwarranted and logically unsupported values to race.
What else would you expect?  Eventually, if we interbreed globally, we will still all be humans, and race may cease to exist outwardly.  Then there will be one race.  Until that time, we just need to learn to be kind to each other.

There should be no shame in being of a race, or in observing another person's race.  The problem is in humans, not words.  Humans, as pure as the species is, approach differences in the species in negative ways.  This is wrong, I think.  We shouldn't do that.
I understand your point.  I have read that in medical terms, race can be helpful in that some 'races' have some inclination toward some diseases or conditions.  Okay, I can accept that as being helpful.  But generally, within this society, race is simply used as another divider of 'us' vs 'them' and is not helpful.  When I lived in Hawaii they had a word for those that were 'racially' mixed--cosmopolitan.  As the world slowly becomes more cosmopolitan the better off we will be.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 27, 2018, 09:25:41 AM
I understand your point.  I have read that in medical terms, race can be helpful in that some 'races' have some inclination toward some diseases or conditions.  Okay, I can accept that as being helpful.  But generally, within this society, race is simply used as another divider of 'us' vs 'them' and is not helpful.  When I lived in Hawaii they had a word for those that were 'racially' mixed--cosmopolitan.  As the world slowly becomes more cosmopolitan the better off we will be.   
And I understand that referring to race falls outside a lot of current scientific and anthropological thought. I'm not up to speed, I guess because I'm not sure of the motivation for eliminating the term or absorbing it makes much difference.  Race can be used as a justification for bigotry.  But it can also be celebrated as many people currently push to do (as in lets celebrate diversity).  I prefer the second, and I think that might be easier for humans to do.  I don't mean it would be easy.  I just mean easier realizing there is still a huge gulf between easy and easier in this particular situcation.  And humans being humans, or apes being apes, I might be hopelessly optimistic about the whole thing anyway.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SGOS on April 27, 2018, 05:26:22 AM

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 27, 2018, 10:03:52 AM
And I understand that referring to race falls outside a lot of current scientific and anthropological thought. I'm not up to speed, I guess because I'm not sure of the motivation for eliminating the term or absorbing it makes much difference.  Race can be used as a justification for bigotry.  But it can also be celebrated as many people currently push to do (as in lets celebrate diversity).  I prefer the second, and I think that might be easier for humans to do.  I don't mean it would be easy.  I just mean easier realizing there is still a huge gulf between easy and easier in this particular situcation.  And humans being humans, or apes being apes, I might be hopelessly optimistic about the whole thing anyway.

Not just African-appearing folks get sickle-cell anemia.  A doctor who diagnosed on skin color (rather than lab work) would be de-certified.  No, race isn't useful in medicine.  It is only useful in politics, by the usual suspects.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on April 26, 2018, 03:35:37 AM
I really wonder what you guys are thinking about Prince Harry's marrying Meghan Markle.

When was this announced?   I live in the UK and this is literally the first I'm hearing of this.

Anyone know when the big day is?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on April 27, 2018, 01:09:45 PM
When was this announced?   I live in the UK and this is literally the first I'm hearing of this.

Anyone know when the big day is?

Engaged on 11/27/17, will be married next month

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a8673228/prince-harry-meghan-markle-dating-timeline/

Reminds me of Grace Kelley and Prince Rainier of Monaco.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I have no interest in this other than mild amusement that the kid is named Louis.

Cavebear

I don't really care a rat's ass about British royalty.  As far as I care, they could quit the job and nobody would really care.

BUT!  I read a sci-fi book once where the new king (or queen) was required to marry a commoner to keep the DNA viable (so to speak), and I thought that was a great idea.  If you HAVE to have a monarchy, it is better to not inbreed them.  That way lies literal madness.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!