Prince Harry's marrying Meghan Markle

Started by SoldierofFortune, April 26, 2018, 03:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on May 01, 2018, 10:34:03 PM
I don't really care a rat's ass about British royalty.  As far as I care, they could quit the job and nobody would really care.

BUT!  I read a sci-fi book once where the new king (or queen) was required to marry a commoner to keep the DNA viable (so to speak), and I thought that was a great idea.  If you HAVE to have a monarchy, it is better to not inbreed them.  That way lies literal madness.
That's pretty much the plot of Game of Thrones, lol.  It's strange that purebred sounds desirable and inbred sounds undesirable when both words describe the exact same thing.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 01, 2018, 10:34:03 PM
I don't really care a rat's ass about British royalty.  As far as I care, they could quit the job and nobody would really care.

BUT!  I read a sci-fi book once where the new king (or queen) was required to marry a commoner to keep the DNA viable (so to speak), and I thought that was a great idea.  If you HAVE to have a monarchy, it is better to not inbreed them.  That way lies literal madness.

Look up Leopold the Hogmouth, not a pretty face.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 01, 2018, 10:42:48 PM
That's pretty much the plot of Game of Thrones, lol.  It's strange that purebred sounds desirable and inbred sounds undesirable when both words describe the exact same thing.

Inbreeding is great if you can stand the the unavoidable lunatics and physically deformed.  Some cultures have just left them on hillsides to die.  Royalty can't.  Bloodlines matter and you can be as mad as the mercury-soaked hatter and still be king if the line gets you to the top.  But even then, most of them manage to die conveniently (koff, koff).

We do that with dogs and cats and cattle, but eliminating the bad results is not a social problem.  We just toss them into the sausage factory.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!