News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Lets talk starbucks

Started by Munch, April 22, 2018, 08:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

I don't quite remember who said it, but what about buying a simple damn coffee and be done with it?

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on April 22, 2018, 06:47:35 PM
I don't quite remember who said it, but what about buying a simple damn coffee and be done with it?
Three friends and I were asked to leave a restaurant or order something. This was many years ago.  We ordered coffee, and they let us stay.  Go figure.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on April 22, 2018, 05:05:31 PM
I think that if kinda defeats your whole point. The thing is, white people AREN'T arrested for refusing to leave Starbucks, because no one calls the cops on two white guys who's only "crime" was to ask to use the restroom.

If someone asks me to randomly leave their store while giving me no reason, like fuck I am leaving. The thing is having light skin that doesn't happen to me. I don't walk into a store and people instantly assume I am a criminal. Terrorist? Okay, possibly, but criminal? Nah.

Nobody assumed they were criminals. You're not allowed to loiter in starbucks. This rule applies to all races. If you want to sit around or use their washroom they ask that you make a purchase. These guys didn't make a purchase, and so were asked to leave because they were loitering. They refused to comply, and so had law enforcement called on their stupid asses. Literally nothing that happened had to do with their race.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on April 22, 2018, 06:20:38 PM

The hoops white people will go through to not admit that racism still directly influences their society...

You have yet to prove that this was racism - and you won't because it wasn't

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2018, 07:03:34 PM
Three friends and I were asked to leave a restaurant or order something. This was many years ago.  We ordered coffee, and they let us stay.  Go figure.

And you were a damned Nazi for agreeing, am I right?  You have rights ... start a protest!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 22, 2018, 07:04:53 PM

Nobody assumed they were criminals. You're not allowed to loiter in starbucks.
That is patently false. Besides this argument, these young men were there to meet up with a friend.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Mermaid on April 22, 2018, 07:20:08 PM
That is patently false. Besides this argument, these young men were there to meet up with a friend.

No, it's not. They have a policy against it. That they don't enforce it often doesn't mean it's no longer a policy.

And it doesn't matter what they were there for. They made no purchase, therefore the private entity that is starbucks can tell them to leave. People don't have the right to maintain their presence within a private entities property for whatever made-up terms they deem fair. The private entity itself, as well as certain government legislation, determine those terms.

A private entity doesn't need to give you a reason to tell you to leave. It's their right to do it; it's their fucking property. After the fact - if you so wish - you can try to prove that they were breaking law in telling you to leave.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 22, 2018, 07:32:18 PM
No, it's not. They have a policy against it. That they don't enforce it often doesn't mean it's no longer a policy.

Enforcing this for one race and not another is not acceptable under any circumstance. I am not sure how anyone can defend that.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Mermaid on April 22, 2018, 07:42:55 PM
Enforcing this for one race and not another is not acceptable under any circumstance. I am not sure how anyone can defend that.

Nobody is defending that. You have no proven that that is what they do.

There is what, one sample where this has ever happened? There is nothing to compare it to - not even instances of it happening to the same race.

To say that the one instance that has happened proves racism against whatever race the instance happened to is unscientific.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 22, 2018, 08:10:48 PM
Nobody is defending that. You have no proven that that is what they do.

There is what, one sample where this has ever happened? There is nothing to compare it to - not even instances of it happening to the same race.

To say that the one instance that has happened proves racism against whatever race the instance happened to is unscientific.
This is what happened in this instance. I said nothing else about it.

SGOS

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2018, 07:03:34 PM

Quote from: Baruch on April 22, 2018, 07:13:07 PM
And you were a damned Nazi for agreeing, am I right?  You have rights ... start a protest!
Actually, I kind of felt like a smart ass ordering coffee instead of a meal.  I don't know about the others, but apparently, just ordering something was all they wanted from us.  The exchange of courtesy and gratitude worked out well.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on April 22, 2018, 08:36:07 PM
Actually, I kind of felt like a smart ass ordering coffee instead of a meal.  I don't know about the others, but apparently, just ordering something was all they wanted from us.  The exchange of courtesy and gratitude worked out well.

Thats how this works. Even if its something small, your honoring the business and not just wasting their time and taking up space.

its funny I bet anyone here who believes they don't have to do this and have the right to loiter around a business like this in america, would consider it offensive to do the exact same thing in somewhere like a shop or cafe in a middle eastern or asian country.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Munch on April 22, 2018, 08:43:19 PM
Thats how this works. Even if its something small, your honoring the business and not just wasting their time and taking up space.

its funny I bet anyone here who believes they don't have to do this and have the right to loiter around a business like this in america, would consider it offensive to do the exact same thing in somewhere like a shop or cafe in a middle eastern or asian country.

If they were consistent they wouldn't be SJW's.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on April 22, 2018, 07:42:55 PM

Why I would make a bad businessman ... as a misanthrope, I would tell all my human customers to get lost, whether they had bought anything at all or not ... completely fair ... and completely wrong.

Nobody has proven that they never ever ask White folk to leave for non-purchase ... I don't know how anyone could.  Also selective enforcement is legit for the police (they don't have to ticket all the speeders, just to be fair ... if you were speeding, they can still ticket you).  Presumption of innocence means that you would have to have other evidence that the police were racial profiling (or Starbucks was).  You are assuming that if anything happens to a Black person that that person objects to, the only reason could be, racism.

ð"Ž¡ð"Ž¡ð"‡°
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote...would consider it offensive to do the exact same thing in somewhere like a shop or cafe in a middle eastern or asian country.

You get more and more ridiculous by the day.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur