'Remote detonator' WiFi name prompts evacuation at Planet Fitness

Started by PopeyesPappy, April 17, 2018, 07:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

QuoteAn unconventional WiFi name prompted a bomb scare evacuation at a Saginaw Township gym Sunday evening.

After a bomb-sniffing dog made a precautionary sweep, it was found "remote detonator" was little more than a poorly-named WiFi network name, authorities said.

The incident on Sunday, April 16, at Planet Fitness at State and Hemmeter in Saginaw Township resulted in the 24-hour gym being evacuated and then closed from 6 p.m. until about 9 p.m., according to a company spokesperson.

Around 6 p.m., a gym patron looking through available WiFi connections noticed one named "remote detonator" and brought it to the manager's attention, said Saginaw Township Police Chief Donald Pussehl.

The manager evacuated the building and called police.

A Michigan State Police bomb-sniffing dog was brought in as a precaution and found nothing, Pussehl said.

McCall Gosselin, a Planet Fitness spokesperson, said the manager was following company procedure.

"If there's any suspicion of any device or anything in the club that would require police attention, the protocol is they close the facility and contact police," Gosselin said. "Safety is always first."

As for any legal repercussions for the wordsmith behind the WiFi name, Pussehl said it's protected speech.

"Everything is perfectly legal from a police standpoint," the chief said. "There was no crime or threat. No call saying there was a bomb."

Pussehl is aware that people often have odd names for their WiFi signals. On his street, he said, there's one called "FBI surveillance van."

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2018/04/wifi_name_prompts_bomb_scare_e.html
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Better safe than sorry.  I know if I saw something like that pop up n an electronic device, I'd get the creeps.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on April 17, 2018, 08:32:06 AM
Better safe than sorry.  I know if I saw something like that pop up n an electronic device, I'd get the creeps.

People who choose threatening names for anything have only theirselves to blame when other people get worried.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on April 19, 2018, 01:06:40 AM
People who choose threatening names for anything have only theirselves to blame when other people get worried.
It's like buying a Doberman and acting all surprised when it bites someone.  It's not like they don't understand the breed.  After all, they give them names like Saber, Snarl, or Satan.  Sending a ticking alarm clock with a bundle of candles through the mail is not something a normal person does by accident.  These are more likely versions passive aggression.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

I feel like this sort of thing should be illegal. Planet Fitness lost business that day, and it caused a panic. I understand the wifi name was a joke, but some jokes can go too far.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 19, 2018, 01:06:40 AM

Like Cave bear?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 19, 2018, 12:02:13 PM
I feel like this sort of thing should be illegal. Planet Fitness lost business that day, and it caused a panic. I understand the wifi name was a joke, but some jokes can go too far.

If it was deliberately made to harm Planet Fitness ... then yes.  Or do you want to be the next Commissar for WiFi?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 19, 2018, 12:02:13 PM
It could have been in the business next door or on somebody's laptop. No way to stop that kind of thing.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 19, 2018, 12:53:07 PM
It could have been in the business next door or on somebody's laptop. No way to stop that kind of thing.

Once China completes its takeover of the Internet, all the WiFi names will be the same ... LongLiveChairmanMao.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on April 19, 2018, 07:14:38 AM
It's like buying a Doberman and acting all surprised when it bites someone.  It's not like they don't understand the breed.  After all, they give them names like Saber, Snarl, or Satan.  Sending a ticking alarm clock with a bundle of candles through the mail is not something a normal person does by accident.  These are more likely versions passive aggression.

Pet Names are tricky.  If your neighbor calls his dog "Cuddles" it is probably less likely to be a threat than if its name is "Ripper".  But if Cuddles is wearing a spike shock collar, I'd be cautious.  I don't carry a gun around, but I have been known to carry a quarterstaff (a closet pole fitted to my height) when some idiotic neighbor let an aggressive dog run loose to "do his business" and it chose to seek something to attack...  And I practice with the quarterstaff out of interest in surprisingly "passive" weapons.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!