News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello, You Heathens!

Started by Vulcan, April 16, 2018, 10:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan

I'm a heathen too! I'm Vulcan from AF.org. If anyone knows me from over there, come say howdy. I like familiar faces.

For the rest of you, I'm a misanthropic, recluse lover of wisdom, agnostic atheist, and freethinker extraordinaire. I've lurked in your philosophy subforums for a bit, but recently decided to poke my head up and say "Hi."

I like theists too. Not an antitheist at all. I HATE CREATIONISM IN SCIENCE CLASSROOMS WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING!!!!!! But people who believe in God? Nah. Live and let live. That's what I say.

Baruch

Quote from: Vulcan on April 16, 2018, 10:03:59 PM
I'm a heathen too! I'm Vulcan from AF.org. If anyone knows me from over there, come say howdy. I like familiar faces.

For the rest of you, I'm a misanthropic, recluse lover of wisdom, agnostic atheist, and freethinker extraordinaire. I've lurked in your philosophy subforums for a bit, but recently decided to poke my head up and say "Hi."

I like theists too. Not an antitheist at all. I HATE CREATIONISM IN SCIENCE CLASSROOMS WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING!!!!!! But people who believe in God? Nah. Live and let live. That's what I say.

We are brothers from different mothers ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Hello!

You're from .org, but you better not also be a borg. Fuck the borg

Mr.Obvious

Resistance is futile, pickel. I've been assimilated too.

Welcome vulcan, to our little band of heatens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Vulcan

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 16, 2018, 11:41:09 PM
Hello!

You're from .org, but you better not also be a borg. Fuck the borg

WE ARE NOT THE BORG. And you will not be assimilated. Your likeness will not be added to our own, which is unfortunate, because you seem pretty cool.

Sal1981

Mike Cl

Welcome, Vulcan.
Say..................is that your statue standing in Birmingham, Ala? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Welcome, and congrats on being bipostal.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason78

I HATE CREATIONISM

I don't hate creationism in classrooms so much as the people that poison the minds of young children with it.

If there was a hell, there'd be a special place in it for the adults that damage the critical thinking faculties of children.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Unbeliever

Hey Vulcan! glad to have you amongst us, we'll try to make your time here enjoyable.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

I doubt anyone would object to live and let live.  Though as far as religion goes, it has a tendency to extend from people's private lives into public life.

Creationism is a perfect example of private beliefs extending from churches into private religious schools into public schools.  And similarly, private beliefs extending from preachers to laity to Congress.

If these beliefs stayed 100% private, I would have no problem with them.  Unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in.  (at least in the USA)

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on April 17, 2018, 01:17:59 PM
I don't hate creationism in classrooms so much as the people that poison the minds of young children with it.

If there was a hell, there'd be a special place in it for the adults that damage the critical thinking faculties of children.

Those who teach creationism poison the the minds of the next generation.  And I don't mean ST:TNG...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 17, 2018, 01:55:32 PM
Though as far as religion goes, it has a tendency to extend from people's private lives into public life.
And this is the most pernicious problem with religion, the idea that people who don't share their fantasy world should have to live by their rules anyway.  I once terminated an online debate on equal marriage, after an opponent finally admitted that his objection was religious and not legal, by pointing out two things:

• His church doesn't get to make rules for non-adherents any more than non-adherents get to determine his church's teachings (outside of the obvious public health and safety rules applied to all communities, faith-based or secular); and,
  • By his reasoning, it would be perfectly legitimate for a hypothetical future Muslim majority in this country to force him to live under Sharia lawâ€"or even for another Christian church to object to his marrying outside of his particular church because they don't allow it, even if his does.

The tradeoff for minimal government interference in religious activity (even when they need some interfering) is that their dogma is not to be mistaken for public law.  I'm sure we can all imagine the screeching and yowling if local, state and federal authorities interfered in church activities even a tenth as much as churches interfere in the public sphere.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

If was fortunate, that in 1787 ... the former American colonies, didn't all share the same church aka Anglican.  Otherwise Episcopalian would have been our State religion, just as it was in England.  There was no way the colonies could have agreed on a single Church, at that time.  This is a consequence of many American settlers being dissidents or religious fanatics ... exiled from England.  Maryland was an attempt to exile all the Catholics here.

Of course Jefferson thought we might all be Deists by the time he passed ... but the opposite happened, in a non-establishment country, freedom led to lots of free church foundings.

Of course dominant Churches in America have tried to extend their dominion ... the Catholic Church in particular, and later Southern Baptist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It's like Highlander - there can be only one - as far as religions are concerned.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman