Should we put shame on us all? We burden our children.

Started by Greatest I am, April 12, 2018, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Greatest I am on May 07, 2018, 02:16:57 PM
My bad for not catching the joke. Perhaps I need to lighten up a bit.

If someone is an enemy of life, then I would not include them in the intelligentsia. They would be too stupid for that.

Regards
DL

Anglophones don't "get" French humor.  You have a marked cultural difference, that I can sus, but not all here can.  It all goes back to Gauls keeping trophy heads in jars to show to the guests ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Greatest I am

Quote from: Baruch on May 07, 2018, 05:49:58 PM
Anglophones don't "get" French humor.  You have a marked cultural difference, that I can sus, but not all here can.  It all goes back to Gauls keeping trophy heads in jars to show to the guests ;-)

Perhaps that is why I like head.

Ouch. That is not French.

I have to watch what I say of the Northern Europeans. I got my DNA done and it includes Vikings.

Regards
DL

Baruch

Quote from: Greatest I am on May 07, 2018, 06:05:40 PM
Perhaps that is why I like head.

Ouch. That is not French.

I have to watch what I say of the Northern Europeans. I got my DNA done and it includes Vikings.

Regards
DL

I may pick on the French Revolution, but it is a convenient negative trope for Anglophones.  Scarlet Pimpernel and all that.

My DNA is all NW European ... Hispania thru Franco-Germania to Scandinavia, and all over the British Isles (including Ireland).  But the hametz is my Ashkenazi Jewish part.  I can never be kosher from a Gentile POV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Greatest I am

Quote from: Baruch on May 07, 2018, 06:12:56 PM
I may pick on the French Revolution, but it is a convenient negative trope for Anglophones.  Scarlet Pimpernel and all that.

My DNA is all NW European ... Hispania thru Franco-Germania to Scandinavia, and all over the British Isles (including Ireland).  But the hametz is my Ashkenazi Jewish part.  I can never be kosher from a Gentile POV.

I'm a Gentile and think you quite kosher buddy.

Regards
DL

Cavebear

Quote from: Greatest I am on May 08, 2018, 10:07:37 AM
I'm a Gentile and think you quite kosher buddy.

Regards
DL

I pay no attention to food restrictions via religious holidays, religious pronouncements, or orders from authorities except by actual health officials who look at contamination concerns.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 05:48:49 AM
I pay no attention to food restrictions via religious holidays, religious pronouncements, or orders from authorities except by actual health officials who look at contamination concerns.

That is wise, given the bad greens from Yuma recently ;-(

Old Jewish kosher rules ... were the health department.  Very advanced, 2000 years ahead of their time (and based on simple observation of correlation with sickness).  Today we have eco-kosher, if you want good health advice.  Eco-kosher would never have allowed the mad-cow mess.  No bio-ethics ... then don't eat it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I had a friend once who was jewish through his father (his mom was a christian John Bircher).  Trust me, it was all weird!

After his father died, he tried to reconnnect to judaism.  He would call me just before sunset Saturdays and remind me not to call or even leave a message on his answering machine until Sunday sunset.  Which I always honored for friend's sake.

And 5 years later, he never recalled doing that ever!  I'm pretty sure I wasn't making it up, since I never thought about not callin him routinely otherwise.

But he eliminated that from his mind utterly and completely after he went toward the christian side of his family.  Denied it ever happened.  Like I had a reason to invite such nonsense stuff?

But that's basically how I think of theists.  Completely able to "forget" any inconvenient past thing.

Munch

Maybe since with theism, denial of facts given to them is an essential part of their beliefs, as in any scientific evidence needing to be ignored, it probably becomes natural to just ignore details from what they use to believe in place of something else, cognitive dissonance

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

I challenge your beliefs.  Munch isn't gay, he is just deluded into thinking he is gay.  Is that painful for you? (sarc).

People who go round challenging people, are going to get beaten up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 09, 2018, 07:38:12 PM
Maybe since with theism, denial of facts given to them is an essential part of their beliefs, as in any scientific evidence needing to be ignored, it probably becomes natural to just ignore details from what they use to believe in place of something else, cognitive dissonance

The ability of theists to hold conflicting thoughts in their minds never ceases to amaze me.  I've met some people of serious rational thought in the sciences who nevertheless also held some superstitious thoughts.  Like understanding math, but also thinking they had a great lottery number combination...

But I have to make a difference between THAT kind of religious cognitive dissonance and the ability of a relatively sane person to be both annoyed and yet love a strange family member.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 09, 2018, 11:12:58 PM
Also wannabe intellectuals that go around lecturing down to everyone.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on May 09, 2018, 11:12:58 PM
I challenge your beliefs.  Munch isn't gay, he is just deluded into thinking he is gay.  Is that painful for you? (sarc).

oh my beliefs have changed over the years, gone from a semi believer, to agnostic, to athiest. And my political belief has gone from semi conservative, to leftist, to now more centrist. Beliefs change, but the natural desire to blow a guy off in the showers remains part of you always.

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 17, 2018, 02:29:28 AM

But I have to make a difference between THAT kind of religious cognitive dissonance and the ability of a relatively sane person to be both annoyed and yet love a strange family member.

Well, in that case its just about holding your breath and trying to ignore what their saying, which is ironically what they are doing themselves if questioned, but the difference is we're not approaching them on what they think or feel, much like how someone who's against gay marriage or just someone being gay in general, bottles up the fact they are because its a friend or family member, and they'd sooner push their prejudice back for the sake of not creating an awkward situation.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 17, 2018, 08:40:27 AM

Oh ... atheists?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 17, 2018, 12:48:55 PM
Quote from: SGOS on Today at 05:40:27 AM

Oh ... atheists?
Do you know any atheists "that go around lecturing down to everyone"? If we, here, do any lecturing at all it's only because people come here to elicit our opinions about their nonsensical delusions.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman