Should we put shame on us all? We burden our children.

Started by Greatest I am, April 12, 2018, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Emancipated

What if, instead of shame or guilt, we teach children to *think*, and most certainly not in the religious sense. Children who are taught that they have already been condemned to hell, unless they do A, B and C, will be filled with self-induced, never ending guilt - over "nothing" that actually exists. This impedes one's ability to think clearly. Now, on top of that we add shaming and guilt, based on the teachings of a book written by cavemen, and we remove their incentive to address real-world problems, from an intellectual perspective.

Fixing this world is, with current science, impossible. Why? Sheer numbers. Over population is lending to the environmental problems we are facing. Mo peeps ~ mo probs. And every young married couple dreams of adding *their child* to this world, cutting down further on the available parking spaces.

With the *big companies* running our financial institutions, and greed at an all time high (and rising) ~ what do we have to offer the youngsters of today? We, the 99%ers, have the illusion of control over the big issues of the day. But, in fact - we have no control over the big changes required to hand our kids a better future. This future has been mapped out already by the 1% of the 1%. I'm not saying that it's hopeless, but as long as religion decides the fate of a nation, and brings about wars, and decisively breaks populations into constantly waring factions, while promoting shame and guilt, it must be (in time) viewed as a purely evil thought process that should no longer be taught as truth.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Emancipated on April 17, 2018, 03:51:36 PM
Fixing this world is, with current science, impossible. Why? Sheer numbers. Over population is lending to the environmental problems we are facing. Mo peeps ~ mo probs. And every young married couple dreams of adding *their child* to this world, cutting down further on the available parking spaces.
Which is, among other things, why I'm a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, and have vowed to never bring any children into this cold, cruel world.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Emancipated

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 17, 2018, 07:46:02 PM
Which is, among other things, why I'm a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, and have vowed to never bring any children into this cold, cruel world.
Apparently, I'm a member without even knowing it; over 50, married nearly 30 years - and not a kid in sight :)

Baruch

Quote from: Emancipated on April 17, 2018, 07:53:14 PM
Apparently, I'm a member without even knowing it; over 50, married nearly 30 years - and not a kid in sight :)

High intelligence over-heates the gonads with brain power, like a microwave oven ;-)  So the smarter you are, the more infertile you are ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Emancipated

Quote from: Baruch on April 17, 2018, 08:28:20 PM
High intelligence over-heates the gonads with brain power, like a microwave oven ;-)  So the smarter you are, the more infertile you are ;-(
Ergo, I must be a fucking genius :)

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 17, 2018, 07:46:02 PM

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

fencerider

O.P. I see the irony of your tag line contradicting your post.

I think that the technology to fix many of the problems we have has existed for a long time. They wont ever get solved as long as the decision makers are people that don’t know or don’t care.

Unbeliever: I'm a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement
I haven’t heard of this movement, but unless we start colonizing space every nation has a one-child policy in its future
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on April 18, 2018, 11:36:11 AM

I think that the technology to fix many of the problems we have has existed for a long time. They wont ever get solved as long as the decision makers are people that don’t know or don’t care.

I haven’t heard of this movement, but unless we start colonizing space every nation has a one-child policy in its future

Dangerous machines have a dead-man brake.  Nature does too.  The all-die policy  Usually we all die one at a time, but nature would care if it was all die at once.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Emancipated on April 17, 2018, 07:53:14 PM
66.6 years old, married four times, no kids.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on April 18, 2018, 11:36:11 AM

I chose to not marry and have children.  My genes do not have to spread.  There are enough of us for complete diversity.  Let there become fewer of us for our benefit and the benefit of the planet.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Greatest I am

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 16, 2018, 08:19:06 PM
It may be semantics, but I look at it like this:
Guilt:

a feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc., whether real or imagined.

Shame:

the painful feeling arising from the consciousness of something dishonorable, improper, ridiculous, etc., done by oneself or another.

Shame is a loaded and toxic word.  It too often drives a person to go within and hide from it.  Guilt, when it dawns upon us, is often a motivator to change our actions or to repair the damage we have done, or both.  I find that much more positive.

I am French and am looser in my interpretation of words than yourself and see the two terms as synonymous. In that, at least, the dictionary agrees.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Quote from: Baruch on April 16, 2018, 09:57:17 PM
Mothers do "guilting" best ;-(

Indeed. It affects them more. Testosterone has it's negative effects and estrogen it's positive ones in this case.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Quote from: Emancipated on April 17, 2018, 03:51:36 PM
What if, instead of shame or guilt, we teach children to *think*, and most certainly not in the religious sense. Children who are taught that they have already been condemned to hell, unless they do A, B and C, will be filled with self-induced, never ending guilt - over "nothing" that actually exists. This impedes one's ability to think clearly. Now, on top of that we add shaming and guilt, based on the teachings of a book written by cavemen, and we remove their incentive to address real-world problems, from an intellectual perspective.

With the *big companies* running our financial institutions, and greed at an all time high (and rising) ~ what do we have to offer the youngsters of today? We, the 99%ers, have the illusion of control over the big issues of the day. But, in fact - we have no control over the big changes required to hand our kids a better future. This future has been mapped out already by the 1% of the 1%. I'm not saying that it's hopeless, but as long as religion decides the fate of a nation, and brings about wars, and decisively breaks populations into constantly waring factions, while promoting shame and guilt, it must be (in time) viewed as a purely evil thought process that should no longer be taught as truth.

Well put, except for this.

"Fixing this world is, with current science, impossible."

You are not seeing the strides we have made in terms of solving or evolving to reduce many of our more negative conditions.

Most stats for evil are at the best level we have ever enjoyed and population numbers will level off soon because we are getting a handle on poverty and education world wide.

Some of those stats are shown near the end of this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLulcfyqrc0

Regards
DL