News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Paul Ryan retiring

Started by trdsf, April 11, 2018, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I think the word "cromulent" itself may well be cromulent.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 13, 2018, 01:27:08 PM
I think the word "cromulent" itself may well be cromulent.
Or it has achieved cromulence.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

fencerider

Paul Ryan retireing? didnt he have a wet dream to write a budget or rewrite tax law or something like that? So now that he got to do it, its alll downhill from here?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

fencerider

you get the Cromulous Award. I hadnt thought about the twisting of words so much. But I have enjoyed the humor of freeway signs

speed enforced by aircraft - does that mean that if you slow down the cops are gonna buzz your car?

do not report fire - yes we already know there is a fire please stop calling and bugging the hell out of us

high wind ahead - well I’m not flying a plane, I’m in a car. If you got some wind by the ground let me know
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on April 14, 2018, 03:10:56 PM
Paul Ryan retireing? didnt he have a wet dream to write a budget or rewrite tax law or something like that? So now that he got to do it, its alll downhill from here?

It is time for him to join the $500,000 per speech, rubber chicken circuit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on April 13, 2018, 10:18:07 AM
I love words where the opposite seems perfectly reasonable, but has disappeared anyway.  It seems to me that if you're satisfied with a situation, you're gruntled.  If you're not puzzled by a situation, you should be plussed.

I also love sensible additions to the languageâ€"I have been known to use 'zarking' and 'belgium!' from Hitchhiker's Guide in place of stronger invective, and my favorite addition is 'cromulent' from The Simpsons because it was so perfectly clear from context exactly what it meant.  The great thing about that word is that it fits all the 'rules' about what a word should be like.  It naturally lends itself to the extensions we put English words through: you can sensibly speak of something having cromulence, or being presented cromulently.

I puzzled over the antonym for cromulent for a while, because 'uncromulent', 'non-cromulent', 'incromulent' and 'acromulent' are all awkward.  The best to me seems to be 'anticromulent'.

I love word-formations.  English is really good for that.  I did have to look up "cromulent" but if I was called that, I probably wouldn't be offended (depending on context).

And I'll bet that "gruntled" is likely one of the most logical words seldom-used.  I am often gruntled...

Great post!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 15, 2018, 01:10:20 AM
I love word-formations.  English is really good for that.  I did have to look up "cromulent" but if I was called that, I probably wouldn't be offended (depending on context).

And I'll bet that "gruntled" is likely one of the most logical words seldom-used.  I am often gruntled...

Great post!

OK, as long as you aren't Grendled ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

https://beebo.org/smackerels/how-i-met-my-wife.html

You folks are gonna love this:

How I Met My Wife

Jack Winter, the New Yorker, July 25, 1994.

It had been a rough day, so when I walked into the party I was very chalant, despite my efforts to appear grun­tled and consolate.

I was furling my wieldy um­brella for the coat check when I saw her stand­ing alone in a corner. She was a de­script person, a woman in a state of total array. Her hair was kempt, her cloth­ing shevelled, and she moved in a gainly way.

I wanted des­per­ately to meet her, but I knew I’d have to make bones about it, since I was trav­el­ling cognito. Be­knownst to me, the hostess, whom I could see both hide and hair of, was very proper, so it would be skin off my nose if any­thing bad happened. And even though I had only swerv­ing loyalty to her, my manners couldn’t be peccable. Only toward and heard-of be­hav­ior would do.

Fortunately, the em­bar­rass­ment that my mac­u­late ap­pear­ance might cause was evitable. There were two ways about it, but the chances that someone as flap­pable as I would be ept enough to become persona grata or a sung hero were slim. I was, after all, some­thing to sneeze at, someone you could easily hold a candle to, someone who usually aroused bridled passion.

So I decided not to risk it. But then, all at once, for some ap­par­ent reason, she looked in my di­rec­tion and smiled in a way that I could make head or tails of.

I was plussed. It was con­cert­ing to see that she was communicado, and it nerved me that she was in­ter­ested in a pareil like me, sight seen. Normally, I had a domitable spirit, but, being corrigible, I felt capacitatedâ€"as if this were some­thing I was great shakes atâ€"and forgot that I had suc­ceeded in sit­u­a­tions like this only a told number of times. So, after a ter­minable delay, I acted with mit­i­gated gall and made my way through the ruly crowd with strong givings.

Nevertheless, since this was all new hat to me and I had not time to prepare a promptu speech, I was petuous. Wanting to make only called-for remarks, I started talking about the hors d’oeuvres, trying to abuse her of the notion that I was sipid, and perhaps even bunk a few myths about myselfs.

She re­sponded well, and I was mayed that she con­sid­ered me a savoury char­ac­ter who was up to some good. She told me who she was. “What a perfect nomer,” I said, advertently. The con­ver­sa­tion became more and more choate, and we spoke at length to much avail. But I was defatigable, so I had to leave at a godly hour. I asked if she wanted to come with me. To my delight, she was committal. We left the party to­gether and have been to­gether ever since. I have given her my love, and she has re­quited it.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 15, 2018, 06:01:09 PM
https://beebo.org/smackerels/how-i-met-my-wife.html

You folks are gonna love this:

Great piece.  :)

I have seen 'evitable' used before; Asimov used it in the story title 'The Evitable Conflict' which was the last story in I, Robot.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on April 15, 2018, 06:53:38 PM
Great piece.  :)

I have seen 'evitable' used before; Asimov used it in the story title 'The Evitable Conflict' which was the last story in I, Robot.

Wow, wouldn't it be great to be evitably gruntled (meaning for some short time, I think.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!