News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Paul Ryan retiring

Started by trdsf, April 11, 2018, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

One thinks he may just see the writing on the wall.  No idea what the House GOP are going to do; we all remember the clusterfuck when Boehner retired.  Kevin McCarthy was next in line, but he dropped out of the Speaker's race due to multiple issues last time, not least of which was that the teabaggers didn't want him, but also for publicly admitting the Benghazi hearings were entirely about hurting Hilary politically rather than legitimately investigating.

Ryan's going to stick around until the end of his term rather than bail out right now.

Gonna have to make more popcorn...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Sad to see him go.  I'm going to miss his...

...well, I'm sure he did something good.

Baruch

Probably all this "investigation" turned up good blackmail material (thanks Awan brothers).  And the blackmailer wants Ryan to quit, rather than stay in office doing what the blackmailer wants.  Usually the blackmail is used to keep the politicians on narrative, and the bribe money keeps them getting re-elected.  Not the only big name politician to recently not seek re-election.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Oh wait, it's starting to come back to me.

"Unilateral economic restraint in the name of fighting global warming has been a tough sell in our communities, where much of the state is buried under snow..." - resident genius

Though in fairness, he might not be insinuating that cold weather contradicts the scientific consensus on global warming, he might be calling his constituents morons who can't tell the difference between weather and climate.  Either way, what a charmer.

Baruch

If you want to make the biggest hit on carbon use ... shut down China.  Of course the US, Japan and Europe contribute too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on April 11, 2018, 10:28:26 PM
If you want to make the biggest hit on carbon use ... shut down China.  Of course the US, Japan and Europe contribute too.
Very binary thinking, as usual.  One extreme or the next.  Have you ever stopped to think (I could end the question right here) that there are more options between doing nothing and halting all production?

Mike Cl

Huffington Post got it right--termed his leadership (??) as 'Feckless'.  They were being too kind, I think.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 11, 2018, 10:37:33 PM
Very binary thinking, as usual.  One extreme or the next.  Have you ever stopped to think (I could end the question right here) that there are more options between doing nothing and halting all production?

We could limit automobile use to #/per million people.  That way the Chinese get 4x as many cars as the Americans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 11, 2018, 10:41:08 PM
Huffington Post got it right--termed his leadership (??) as 'Feckless'.  They were being too kind, I think.

I was very unimpressed ... but he wasn't in my district.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Another Republic-lamb seeing the oncoming tsunami against Trumpf leaving the political scene to protect his career for future possibilities.  But I don't think it will help him.  He is too connected to Trumpf.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 11, 2018, 10:41:08 PM
I question their choice of vowel in 'feck'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on April 12, 2018, 11:40:52 PM
I question their choice of vowel in 'feck'.

Actually "feck" seems to mean a "majority, part, or value".  Apparently, the original word seems to have faded away while the expanded meaning of "without feck" has survived.  Not off the top of my head, I had to look it up.

But it still is interesting.  "Feckless" (without feck) does indeed mean "without value".  So, I consider you to be feck.  Maybe we can get an old word active again, LOL! 

Hey world, "feck" is a good term to describe others you admire.  I self-declare myself to be "feck"!  Pass it on...

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on April 13, 2018, 12:21:39 AM
Actually "feck" seems to mean a "majority, part, or value".  Apparently, the original word seems to have faded away while the expanded meaning of "without feck" has survived.  Not off the top of my head, I had to look it up.

But it still is interesting.  "Feckless" (without feck) does indeed mean "without value".  So, I consider you to be feck.  Maybe we can get an old word active again, LOL! 

Hey world, "feck" is a good term to describe others you admire.  I self-declare myself to be "feck"!  Pass it on...
Wouldn't the opposite of 'feckless' be 'feckful'?  :)

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on April 13, 2018, 07:19:03 AM
Wouldn't the opposite of 'feckless' be 'feckful'?  :)

That is interesting, because I have always had a tendency to use non-standard word-forms.  Insuccessful, unoppertunististic, anything logical word construction permits.  Funny story, My senior high school english teacher challenged us to understand 'Jabberwocky' as a study assignment and I stood up and diagrammed it on the board in terms on nouns, verbs, etc  on the spot.

He was actually kind of pissed, but the pleasing result was that he told me to just read serious books during class and I was happy to oblige.  There were no AP classes then.

Oh, and he had THE WORLD'S GREATEST NAME EVER "Aubrey Wafford Thomas".  Pity I never had a child...  I would have named a son after him. 

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on April 13, 2018, 08:04:01 AM
That is interesting, because I have always had a tendency to use non-standard word-forms.  Insuccessful, unoppertunististic, anything logical word construction permits.  Funny story, My senior high school english teacher challenged us to understand 'Jabberwocky' as a study assignment and I stood up and diagrammed it on the board in terms on nouns, verbs, etc  on the spot.

He was actually kind of pissed, but the pleasing result was that he told me to just read serious books during class and I was happy to oblige.  There were no AP classes then.

Oh, and he had THE WORLD'S GREATEST NAME EVER "Aubrey Wafford Thomas".  Pity I never had a child...  I would have named a son after him.
I love words where the opposite seems perfectly reasonable, but has disappeared anyway.  It seems to me that if you're satisfied with a situation, you're gruntled.  If you're not puzzled by a situation, you should be plussed.

I also love sensible additions to the languageâ€"I have been known to use 'zarking' and 'belgium!' from Hitchhiker's Guide in place of stronger invective, and my favorite addition is 'cromulent' from The Simpsons because it was so perfectly clear from context exactly what it meant.  The great thing about that word is that it fits all the 'rules' about what a word should be like.  It naturally lends itself to the extensions we put English words through: you can sensibly speak of something having cromulence, or being presented cromulently.

I puzzled over the antonym for cromulent for a while, because 'uncromulent', 'non-cromulent', 'incromulent' and 'acromulent' are all awkward.  The best to me seems to be 'anticromulent'.