News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Checking in from California

Started by Emancipated, April 10, 2018, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 13, 2018, 04:20:08 PM
I've had issues with understanding other people and being understood due to different uses of the same word.

I talked with a guy who used "fallacy" to describe widely held beliefs that aren't true rather than invalid logic.

And my brother refuses to switch over to nautical terminology.  At sea, I say starboard and east.  He says right for both.  :*[
An interesting note on the derivation of starboard and port:  The earliest sailing ships did not have rudders.  Instead, they used a permanently attached board that hung over the side of the boat.  It was called the steer board.  Since it was always in the way when docking at port, the other side of the boat was the only side available to tie up to the dock, and became the port side.  Since language and pronunciation changes over time, steer board ended up as starboard.  And that's how the cockamamie nomenclature got started.  I assume it must have been traditional to put the steer board on the right side of the boat.  Or maybe not.

Emancipated

Quote from: SGOS on April 13, 2018, 04:37:19 PM
An interesting note on the derivation of starboard and port:  The earliest sailing ships did not have rudders.  Instead, they used a permanently attached board that hung over the side of the boat.  It was called the steer board.  Since it was always in the way when docking at port, the other side of the boat was the only side available to tie up to the dock, and became the port side.  Since language and pronunciation changes over time, steer board ended up as starboard.  And that's how the cockamamie nomenclature got started.  I assume it must have been traditional to put the steer board on the right side of the boat.  Or maybe not.
I had honestly wondered about this from time to time... It was one of those things that I promised myself I would look up - - later. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my HiBook using Tapatalk

Baruch

Quote from: Emancipated on April 13, 2018, 11:26:41 PM
I had honestly wondered about this from time to time... It was one of those things that I promised myself I would look up - - later. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my HiBook using Tapatalk

Of course, most people are right handed.  The steering board (aka rudder) was naturally on the right rear location.  It wasn't until the oceans were crossed by the Portuguese and Spanish explorers that a properly centered rudder, and steering wheel, were invented.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Emancipated on April 10, 2018, 11:23:09 PM
Hiya ~looks like a good group of people and idea(l)s being shared on this forum. Happy to be on board. The atheist nature here caught my eye (raised Irish catholic ~ emancipated in early 2000's), but have moreso been impressed by the width of topics, intellect and good nature here.

--Kevin

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We don't want any! Sit down son a nd have a cigar. Don't you start smoking in here! Welcome my son to the machine!

Cavebear

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on April 14, 2018, 03:55:43 AM
We don't want any! Sit down son a nd have a cigar. Don't you start smoking in here! Welcome my son to the machine!

You do realize that made little sense, right?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on April 15, 2018, 02:56:08 AM
Then I wasn't the only one who had that reaction.

Baruch

Gilgamesh might not be the only one using recreational substances ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Emancipated

Quote from: Cavebear on April 15, 2018, 02:56:08 AM
I've just been keeping my mouth shut... Didn't want to offend any "special" members :)

Unbeliever

We're all "special," and hence, none of us are.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 16, 2018, 01:28:35 PM

Cavebear isn't into Absurdist poetry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 16, 2018, 01:28:35 PM

We are not all equally "special".  Therefore, some of us are.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Everyone is special.  Some are just more special than others. 
                                                           - Animal Farm
                                                          (Kind of.  I took some liberties with the quote)

Jason78

Urgh!   You're all individuals!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Unbeliever

What, you mean to tell me we're not part of the Borg Collective!?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 19, 2018, 01:37:17 PM
What, you mean to tell me we're not part of the Borg Collective!?

There are only 9 members in that group, Ernest Borg-Nine ;-) 7 of 9 was a member.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.