A favorite speaker on science ... who also deals with religion

Started by Baruch, April 10, 2018, 08:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reeU09R4TIA

No, he isn't a theist.  But he is less abrasive than Dawkins, who reminds me of pr126.  But maybe a mathematician is less biased that a biologist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to watch this, but I'm looking forward to it, as I've read some du Sautoy, I think it was his book about symmetry. It's been a couple of years, though, so I may have to read it again.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

I simply am not interested in listening to videos. Not that they may not be good information but I could "read" the story in a quarter of the time and be off doing something else. This is why some people get annoyed with me when I have my meetings. Very short concise, Not only do I have a outline of the meeting but it is sent in advance so people can either send in questions before hand or find information in time for the meeting. And anyone who starts off on a tangent is cut off and reeled in. If you have trouble getting your thoughts out of your head I simply stop you and assume your position. Aint got time for that shit. I would not make a good counselor for the those with speech impediments or mental issues.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

It seems like there has been a rash of bald Utubers being posted here lately.  Is this a coincidence or is there a fetish afoot?

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 10, 2018, 08:35:27 PM
I'll have to wait until tomorrow to watch this, but I'm looking forward to it, as I've read some du Sautoy, I think it was his book about symmetry. It's been a couple of years, though, so I may have to read it again.

I have the same book, and have seen other videos of his.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 11, 2018, 06:39:34 AM

It seems like there has been a rash of bald Utubers being posted here lately.  Is this a coincidence or is there a fetish afoot?

Maybe they are all bald, in honor of Cavebear's recent sartorial choice? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 10, 2018, 09:11:19 PM
I simply am not interested in listening to videos. Not that they may not be good information but I could "read" the story in a quarter of the time and be off doing something else. This is why some people get annoyed with me when I have my meetings. Very short concise, Not only do I have a outline of the meeting but it is sent in advance so people can either send in questions before hand or find information in time for the meeting. And anyone who starts off on a tangent is cut off and reeled in. If you have trouble getting your thoughts out of your head I simply stop you and assume your position. Aint got time for that shit. I would not make a good counselor for the those with speech impediments or mental issues.

Sometimes powerpoint slides, with not too many slides, and not too much on any one slide, are best.  I attended a 3 hour long training yesterday, and it had both slides and short videos.  But bathroom breaks and snacks were provided ... very considerate of them.

Part of DuSautoy's charm is his delivery, not just his content.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on April 10, 2018, 09:11:19 PM

"Short, concise and to the point" was something I always valued in office meetings.  I once told a 2nd level supervisor that his entire staff meeting could have been expressed in several sentences in an email instead of a 30 minute meeting.  And his reply was "I like to see the people I am talking to." 

Well, he didn't have anything useful to do, or conversely, didn't do anything useful.  We could have gone on just fine without him and skipped a layer of useless Management.

I would have been a more productive Supervisor, measuring what people actually did, helping them learn to use computers better, and getting rid of the deadwood.  And we sure had some Dead Wood in my office...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!