News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nuke your town

Started by GSOgymrat, April 03, 2018, 12:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Curious as to how many people will be killed if your area gets nuked? Here is a simulator that illustrates the damage and estimated death toll. You can change the size of the bomb and whether it is an air or ground burst.

https://outrider.org/nuclear-weapons/interactive/bomb-blast/

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 03, 2018, 12:25:20 AM
Curious as to how many people will be killed if your area gets nuked? Here is a simulator that illustrates the damage and estimated death toll. You can change the size of the bomb and whether it is an air or ground burst.

https://outrider.org/nuclear-weapons/interactive/bomb-blast/

Studied this in HS ... Three bad things if you aren't luckily killed out-right ...

1. Flying glass
2. Bomb blows out your ear drums
3. Thermal radiation causes all roofs to catch fire, and your clothing to catch fire if you are outside

If you manage to survive the flying debris and fire storm ... then you can worry about radiation damage and fallout.

And don't worry about the Czar Bomba ... that is only for show, a spread of smaller bombs across your metro is much worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxWNAM8Cso

Hiroshima was made of paper and wood, and undamaged from war, so much more spectacular.  Nagasaki's point of detonation was much more hilly.

Read John Hersey's classic "Hiroshima" ... which also covers what happened at Nagasaki.  Just say no to war.  Don't let the neocons control you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKD-0mJ94B4&index=6&list=PLD7F1A06CE1780AD5

The coup to prevent the Japanese surrender was itself prevented accidentally, by a five minute blackout of Tokyo, because of the last B32 heading home from conventional bombing passing overhead.  The coup plotters were on the grounds of the Imperial palace at that moment.

Germany and Japan were always military dictatorships, with fictional civilian control.  Is the US a military dictatorship, with fictional civilian control?

But without the tragedy of WW II, this wouldn't have happened ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueTa3dytTuY

Is the only way to a new US, thru our destruction?  Civil war or the rest of the world deciding to not put up with our shit?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

They knew an air burst was more effective in 1945.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

in 'merica you guys have a lot of fallout shelters. I googled my town here and there are none around.

Saying that, I know somewhere that might be safe, but hard to get to. In an old art shop now sold off, where my mother worked for 6 years, she told me theres a boarded up basement with a tunnel connecting from it to another boarded up basement to the bank across the street, once used for money transfers a long time ago, but was put out of use. So I'd probably head there and break down the closed off area as a temp bomb shelter.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on April 03, 2018, 08:17:15 AM
in 'merica you guys have a lot of fallout shelters. I googled my town here and there are none around.

Saying that, I know somewhere that might be safe, but hard to get to. In an old art shop now sold off, where my mother worked for 6 years, she told me theres a boarded up basement with a tunnel connecting from it to another boarded up basement to the bank across the street, once used for money transfers a long time ago, but was put out of use. So I'd probably head there and break down the closed off area as a temp bomb shelter.
Shelters are the best way to be one of the last people to die.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 03, 2018, 09:20:22 AM
Shelters are the best way to be one of the last people to die.

thats true. not much someone could do in a fallout zone even if they can survive, plus radiation
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on April 03, 2018, 08:17:15 AM

Threads ... where the council authorities get buried alive.  Find a good castle, we will be needing them again ;-)  And no LARPing this time!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Gun rights advocates say everyone should have a nuke.

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on April 03, 2018, 03:29:42 PM
well duh, only a good guy with a nuke can stop a bad guy with a nuke.

What else are you going to do, outlaw nukes?  Then only outlaws will have 'em.  If people want to get them, there's nothing you can really do about it.  The devil's lettuce and lewd magazines are different, tho.  That's a moral issue.  Think of the children!

GSOgymrat

"The devil's lettuce" LOL! I hadn't heard that one.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on April 03, 2018, 03:29:42 PM

Kim Jong Un says every dictator needs a nuke.  NRA and N Koreans have similar thought patterns ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I worked 30 years 2 blocks from the center of Washington DC.  The assumption always was that if there was ever an nuclear attack, Washington DC  would be a steaming 20 mile glass hole in the ground and there wasn't any way to get out of town fast enough.  Plus, I was living downwind, so it wouldn't even matter if I was home at the time.

At some point, you just start to ignore it.  It happens or it doesn't...  I'm retired now, but I am still downwind of any Washington DC fallout.  If it happens, I will admire the blast colors and die.

Though there IS the storm drain...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!