News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Latest Windows update? Beware.

Started by pr126, April 02, 2018, 02:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Well, it is working fine now, after the restore this morning.

SGOS

I've had a couple of updates that screwed things up so bad that I just did a system restore.  When you do that, it seems like it wipes out the updates, because Windows recognizes they aren't there and reinstalls them again.  In my case, they seem to have been debugged before Windows second attempt, and everything works again.  Perhaps during the first update, the install corrupted itself.  Who knows?  It's a computer, a highly complicated machine waiting go haywire from time to time.

Gawdzilla Sama

I postpone installing updates for three days after they come in. Gives them time to fix anything they didn't find before they shipped it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

I love my Mac Mini... LOL!  Keeps working.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 02, 2018, 02:35:41 PM
I postpone installing updates for three days after they come in. Gives them time to fix anything they didn't find before they shipped it.
That's a good idea.  Somewhere in the tools of my Windows, I have the option to turn off automatic updates, and be asked.  I'll look for it.

pr126

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
Restart
To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic’

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on April 05, 2018, 09:13:47 AM
Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
Restart
To re-enable Windows Update simply repeat these four steps, but change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic’
Those options are also available in the control panel, at least in Windows 8.1

Open the control panel
<click>System and Security
<click>Windows Update (Turn automatic updating on or off)

The default setting is "Install Updates Automatically", but you are given 4 other options in a drop down menu

Cavebear

Have fun on your Windows...  I don't envy your struggles.  Switching to a Mac Mini was a lot easier than I thought.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!