Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why Global Warming is another MSM Lie

Started by Hydra009, April 01, 2018, 06:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 05, 2018, 09:14:22 AM
Yeah, my Dad was stupid too.  He watched only Fox News.---

If you had any children, they would think you are stupid too.  Not trying to embarrass ... just stating a fact about offspring ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

I do not have a car, and I do not drive since 2004, when I retired.

I think I am more careful about “Climate change” than any of the zealots here.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on May 05, 2018, 09:47:59 AM
I do not have a car, and I do not drive since 2004, when I retired.

Do you have heat or AC?  Do you use electrify other than solar/wind?  Then you are guilty as charged.  The commissar for electricity (from the Labor Party) will be visiting soon.  But then I think you are self aware enough to at least be aware of any hypocrisy you might have ... and you clearly aren't a hypocrite on energy issues.  I haven't read you self flagellating over your "consumer" guilt.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Funny that no one here comes up with a viable solution/recommendation.

Believing is not enough.

Here is a thought, every time you fill up your car it helps toward a nice new mosque down your street.

Isn’t that good?
LOL.

Blackleaf

Quote from: pr126 on May 05, 2018, 09:54:27 AM

Believing is not enough.

Here is a thought, every time you fill up your car it helps toward a nice new mosque down your street.

Isn’t that good?
LOL.

Haven't discovered Google yet? Here's one solution: clean energy. Many nations and energy companies have taken the initiative to make the transition to clean energy and dramatically
reduce carbon emissions. Wanna help? Pay for clean energy, if it is available in your area. It's not expensive, so money isn't an issue. A second way you could help is by not voting for Right Wing nutjobs who think that scientists are colluding together in some global conspiracy.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on May 05, 2018, 03:33:10 AM
Let's say that I am a skeptic about "Climate change".

But those true believers, who say YOU MUST BELIEVE, just like in a religion you must believe in Jesus or Allah or else you are a non-person?

A non-believer? Shame on you! GTFO!

But you, dear True Believer, what are you doing or propose to do about it?
Pray? Burn incense? Spread the Gospel?  What!  Anything, nothing?
It's not about 'believing'.  You can (and people do) 'believe' what they want to.  Global warming is based upon hypothesis that have been proven which makes them a theory.  The current theory (I say current because one can still use facts to disprove any theory) leads us to think (not believe) that human activity is affecting the earth's climate (and weather).  We should be talking facts and not beliefs.  As an atheist you should understand that, yet you chose to use the language (and apparently thought process) of a theist.  Why would you want to do that????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on May 05, 2018, 09:47:59 AM
I do not have a car, and I do not drive since 2004, when I retired.  I think I am more careful about “Climate change” than any of the zealots here.
I think that is commendable.
Believing is not enough.
No, believing isn't enough. 

Denial was the first argument to oppose any action against warming, and it was advanced by the oil companies, who created the meme that global warming isn't real precisely because they didn't like the solution.  That meme now remains a political reality for much of the right wing, even though the oil industry now embraces the scientific reality of global warming publically.  Oil execs are intelligent enough to understand the chemistry and physics caused by increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that is changing the Earth's climate and ocean currents.  They no longer have to play the role of the fool, because the fools they helped to create will now do their political work for them.

Denial sounds more compassionate than "I don't give a shit," so it tends to be the position that is voiced by those who don't want to take action.  But it's not an honest position.  There is actually more intellectual honesty in, "I don't give a shit."  But the right wing is already up to its eyeballs in being perceived as the asshole that it's afraid to tip the balance and expose its true motivation for its denial.

Most people wouldn't deny that you are half blinded by ideology, and those familiar with human psychology might even be a bit forgiving.  But I think most people, here anyway, believe you are  intelligent enough to follow the physics and chemistry of climate change and to see where it leads.

Shiranu

As a Texan, I'm not entirely sure what the alternative to own a car is anyways. My commute to the nearest city to work is basically the distance of crossing your entire county (slight exaggeration, but not all that inaccurate either).

I don't think Europeans grasp just how big America is and the necessity of owning a car. My state is larger than almost all your countries.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 05, 2018, 10:50:28 AM
Haven't discovered Google yet? Here's one solution: clean energy. Many nations and energy companies have taken the initiative to make the transition to clean energy and dramatically
reduce carbon emissions. Wanna help? Pay for clean energy, if it is available in your area. It's not expensive, so money isn't an issue. A second way you could help is by not voting for Right Wing nutjobs who think that scientists are colluding together in some global conspiracy.

Solar and wind are good.  Disconnect from the grid yourself.  Use solar and wind only.  Then I will believe you.  Problem is, collectivists don't want individual action, they want collective action, led by political monsters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 05, 2018, 02:51:01 PM
As a Texan, I'm not entirely sure what the alternative to own a car is anyways. My commute to the nearest city to work is basically the distance of crossing your entire county (slight exaggeration, but not all that inaccurate either).

I don't think Europeans grasp just how big America is and the necessity of owning a car. My state is larger than almost all your countries.

Ride a horse.  Horses are renewable and biodegradable.  And get a Stetson while you are at it ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDz6lgDiCt8

But you want to keep and eat your cake at the same time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Believing is not enough.

Isn’t that good?
LOL.

Well I DO drive a gas-powered car.  I need one to haul a a utility trailer for mulch, compost from a recycling center, and a small boat.  But I bought it in 2006 and it has only 27,000 miles on it.   I keep waiting for "that good electric or fuel cell vehicle", but it has to haul a few hundred pounds of compost from the recycling center.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: pr126 on May 05, 2018, 09:54:27 AMHere is a thought, every time you fill up your car it helps toward a nice new mosque down your street.
It's so strange that you would bring that up.  You of all people should be ideologically opposed to our current over-reliance on oil, given your pet issue.

Every time someone fills up, some of that money goes to Saudi Arabia and other oil rich predominantly muslim countries.  And a part of that money goes to Wahabi madrassas.  With renewables, all that is gone.  Instead of our paychecks going to the Saudis, they go to local clean energy providers (creating more local jobs, to boot!)  Don't you want to cut off Islamic extremists' funding?

Additionally, global warming has the potential to cause a lot of drought and water/food scarcity in some regions in the world, especially the Middle East.  And guess what the end result is of all this deprivation and misery?  Refugee crisis.  Granted, I'm sure you already have a solution in mind, but here's another way:  we just stop the situation before it happens.  We just take the pot off the burner before it starts boiling over.  Less climate catastrophes = less refugees.   An ounce of prevention and all that.  Sound desirable?

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 05, 2018, 09:55:58 PM
It's so strange that you would bring that up.  You of all people should be ideologically opposed to our current over-reliance on oil, given your pet issue.

Every time someone fills up, some of that money goes to Saudi Arabia and other oil rich predominantly muslim countries.  And a part of that money goes to Wahabi madrassas.  With renewables, all that is gone.  Instead of our paychecks going to the Saudis, they go to local clean energy providers (creating more local jobs, to boot!)  Don't you want to cut off Islamic extremists' funding?

Additionally, global warming has the potential to cause a lot of drought and water/food scarcity in some regions in the world, especially the Middle East.  And guess what the end result is of all this deprivation and misery?  Refugee crisis.  Granted, I'm sure you already have a solution in mind, but here's another way:  we just stop the situation before it happens.  We just take the pot off the burner before it starts boiling over.  Less climate catastrophes = less refugees.   An ounce of prevention and all that.  Sound desirable?

I agree that fuel could be more perfect.  But nothing is perfect.  Even electric vehicles require electricity and that is often from coal-burning plants.  So, I should be operating on solar power.  But that would require cutting down a dozen mature oaks and gum trees.  Reducing native habitat, oxygen-producing trees, and passive solar cooling on the house.

Its hard to win on this.  I'm not ready to retreat into a cave and live in a non-electric world of semi-twilight.  The nearest food store is 6 miles away.  That's a long bike ride and I would need freezer packs to keep the meat and dairy products safe and guess where THEY come from?  My electric refrigerator.  And pedaling a bike 6 miles there and back would probably get me killed in a few years.  What would you suggest I do?

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on May 05, 2018, 10:30:25 PM
I agree that fuel could be more perfect.  But nothing is perfect.  Even electric vehicles require electricity and that is often from coal-burning plants.  So, I should be operating on solar power.  But that would require cutting down a dozen mature oaks and gum trees.  Reducing native habitat, oxygen-producing trees, and passive solar cooling on the house.
Yeah, well no solution is 100% perfect.  As ever, going from really bad to less bad is the path forward.

QuoteIts hard to win on this.  I'm not ready to retreat into a cave and live in a non-electric world of semi-twilight.  The nearest food store is 6 miles away.  That's a long bike ride and I would need freezer packs to keep the meat and dairy products safe and guess where THEY come from?  My electric refrigerator.  And pedaling a bike 6 miles there and back would probably get me killed in a few years.  What would you suggest I do?
You're thinking too small (and too much like Barauch, who paints this bizarre do-nothing-or-live-in-a-cave false dilemma).  Do you have any idea how many gallons of gasoline get used every single day in the United States?  It's just shy of 400 million gallons.  And that's just gasoline.

While "think globally, act locally" is a nice slogan, this isn't the sort of problem that you can effectively beat that way.  Nor should you risk your life to shave off a couple gallons from that behemoth national number.  Every little bit helps, but that's far too minor and slow a change to really matter.

What absolutely has to happen (and happen yesterday) is a complete restructuring of the national energy system.  We have to phase out coal plants and bring new and greener alternatives online.  We have to improve auto fuel economy and embrace electric.  We have to improve city planning so that you can get groceries without a car and without risking your life.

Of course, all this costs money.  But if we make it happen, we secure energy independence (anyone here remember the 1973 oil crisis?), citizens pay less for energy, we create jobs at home, and we flip the script on global warming, much like we did with the ozone layer.  Plus, there's the added benefit of less pollution.  I consider that a win.  Sure, it's costly - but it's a short-term cost for a long-term payout.  Or we could fritter that money away on another war (anyone here want to guess at the fuel economy of American tanks? It's not super high, lol) or another tax cut for the rich.  Which sounds like the better option?

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 05, 2018, 11:03:56 PM
Yeah, well no solution is 100% perfect.  As ever, going from really bad to less bad is the path forward.
You're thinking too small (and too much like Barauch, who paints this bizarre do-nothing-or-live-in-a-cave false dilemma).  Do you have any idea how many gallons of gasoline get used every single day in the United States?  It's just shy of 400 million gallons.  And that's just gasoline.

While "think globally, act locally" is a nice slogan, this isn't the sort of problem that you can effectively beat that way.  Nor should you risk your life to shave off a couple gallons from that behemoth national number.  Every little bit helps, but that's far too minor and slow a change to really matter.

What absolutely has to happen (and happen yesterday) is a complete restructuring of the national energy system.  We have to phase out coal plants and bring new and greener alternatives online.  We have to improve auto fuel economy and embrace electric.  We have to improve city planning so that you can get groceries without a car and without risking your life.

Of course, all this costs money.  But if we make it happen, we secure energy independence (anyone here remember the 1973 oil crisis?), citizens pay less for energy, we create jobs at home, and we flip the script on global warming, much like we did with the ozone layer.  Plus, there's the added benefit of less pollution.  I consider that a win.  Sure, it's costly - but it's a short-term cost for a long-term payout.  Or we could spend that money on another war or fritter it away on another tax cut for the rich.  Which sounds like the better option?

Yes, I remember the 1973 energy crisis.  I sat in long lines with the most gas-effective car I could afford (A stripped Chevy Chevette Scooter).  I reluctantly ditched my beloved Pontiac Bonneville Convertible in favor of the cheaper better gas mileage Scooter.  And you will probably criticize me for owning THAT!  I had to drive to a job in order to pay my rent among 5 guys in a 2 bedroom roach infested apartment in a bad building and ate pasta sprinkled with hamburger for years.  And when the car broke down and I could fix it myself, I walked a mile to the bus stop.  To be technical, a 1.25 miles.

So let's get off the moral high ground and stop this "environmentally-perfect" world you dream of.  Tell me how to live in suburbia more environmentally excellent than you think I can.  Be specific.  Every solution you have will also have a downside.  Try me.