News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why Global Warming is another MSM Lie

Started by Hydra009, April 01, 2018, 06:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 09, 2018, 11:05:34 AM
No. If you want to claim to be an authority, you need to have credentials to justify that authority.
This has no relation to what I said.

QuoteLikewise, if you want to convince me against that something that is near universally accepted as true by experts, such as climate change, you'd better have the credentials to back up your claims.
You just defined ideological possession. Good arguments are good regardless of who they come from. *You* look to the argument makers character - their ideology - before considering their argument. You listen only to people who you already agree with. Ideological possession. It's not something to be proud of.

Quoteyou'd better have the credentials to back up your claims.
Credentials don't back up claims. Evidence and argumentation do.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 10:36:32 AM
I'm not agreeing with your contention that I advise people to drink untreated water, or that I hate treated water/

I'm agreeing with your contention that I said people used to get their b12 from untreated water.

If in your mind you cannot rectify how one can simultaneously disagree with the former but agree with the latter then I'm going to have to post another retard.png, buddy.

So why was it "Same with literally any human who isn't getting it from stream water" and not "Same with literally any human who WERN'T getting it from stream water"?  As a past tense.  You can't dodge this forever.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 11:19:33 AM
You just defined ideological possession. Good arguments are good regardless of who they come from. You look to the argument makers character - their ideology - before considering their argument. You listen only to people who you already agree with. Ideological possession. It's not something to be proud of.

You made claims as if from authority.  OK, so you don't have credentials about B-12 coming from untreated water.  But now claim "Evidence and argumentation do".  What is your "evidence and argumentation"?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 11:19:33 AM

"In the world of arguments there is no authority."

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 11:19:33 AMYou just defined ideological possession. Good arguments are good regardless of who they come from. *You* look to the argument makers character - their ideology - before considering their argument. You listen only to people who you already agree with. Ideological possession. It's not something to be proud of.

Sorry, but science can't be countered with arguments from self-appointed experts. Evolution didn't become a theory because some people got together and made some really good arguments for it. It became a theory because of objective verifiable evidence. And no, I do not only listen to people I already agree with. I gave that up when I stopped being a Christian. I listen to people who know what they're talking about. "Character" has nothing to do with this.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 09, 2018, 11:39:32 AM

Sorry, but science can't be countered with arguments from self-appointed experts. Evolution didn't become a theory because some people got together and made some really good arguments for it. It became a theory because of objective verifiable evidence. And no, I do not only listen to people I already agree with. I gave that up when I stopped being a Christian. I listen to people who know what they're talking about. "Character" has nothing to do with this.

You've... gotten better at posting, if I may be allowed to offer a compliment!

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 09, 2018, 11:39:32 AM
"If you want to claim to be an authority, you need to have credentials to justify that authority."

In what way is your statement relevant? I never said anything about claims to authority, yet that is the sole subject of your statement. No relation, bud.

QuoteSorry, but science can't be countered with arguments from self-appointed experts. Evolution didn't become a theory because some people got together and made some really good arguments for it. It became a theory because of objective verifiable evidence.
You seem to think arguments and verifiable instances are necessarily separate things. Rather the latter informs the former, which then creates a theory. A theory is a description of reality. Verifiable evidence is the reality itself, and argumentation connects the two.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 11:50:53 AM
"If you want to claim to be an authority, you need to have credentials to justify that authority."

In what way is your statement relevant? I never said anything about claims to authority, yet that is the sole subject of your statement. No relation, bud.
You seem to think arguments and verifiable instances are necessarily separate things. Rather the latter informs the former, which then creates a theory. A theory is a description of reality. Verifiable evidence is the reality itself, and argumentation connects the two.

Well, to be be technical about it, there are first, suppositions to be tested, then experiments and observation to test the supposition, then if the tests support the supposition it may become a hypothesis.  And if other people test the hypothesis and find similar results, it may be accepted as a theory.  If it can be mathematically demonstrated over time, it may become a law. 

I always crack up when some detective says "my theory is"...

Gilgamesh

Expounding on my previous post:

For example:

(Mutations between offspring and progenitor naturally occur.) < This is a description of an observation of reality.
(A white bear born among brown bears - a genetic mutation - is more likely to survive in a snowy climate.) < This is a description of an observation of reality.

(Mutations between offspring and progenitor naturally occur.
A white bear born among brown bears - a genetic mutation - is more likely to survive in a snowy climate.                   
Therefore mutations can cause preferable attributes, which will allow the mutation a higher likelihood of being passed down to another generation.)

^The above is an argument.

Evolution is a theory, supported by the above argument, with is itself informed in verifiable instances of reality.

Arguments can, have, and do dispute theories. The scientific method itself is literally a model of argumentation.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 12:04:29 PM
Expounding on my previous post:

For example:

(Mutations between offspring and progenitor naturally occur.) < This is a description of an observation of reality.
(A white bear born among brown bears - a genetic mutation - is more likely to survive in a snowy climate.) < This is a description of an observation of reality.

(Mutations between offspring and progenitor naturally occur.
A white bear born among brown bears - a genetic mutation - is more likely to survive in a snowy climate.                   
Therefore mutations can cause preferable attributes, which will allow the mutation a higher likelihood of being passed down to another generation.)

^The above is an argument.

Evolution is a theory, supported by the above argument, with is itself informed in verifiable instances of reality.

Arguments can, have, and do dispute theories. The scientific method itself is literally a model of argumentation.

Did you think I was going to disagree with the obvious?  That's practically "my bread and butter" as they say.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 12:11:21 PM
Did you think I was going to disagree with the obvious?  That's practically "my bread and butter" as they say.

I'm contesting blackleafs erroneous idea that science can't be countered with arguments.

In following the scientific method, one literally is constructing an argument, where the hypothesis is the conclusion and every experiment informing the hypothesis' truth value is a premise.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 12:15:55 PM
I'm contesting blackleafs erroneous idea that science can't be countered with arguments.

You left off the last part of his quote and that it something I'm going to rip you for!  His quote was actually "science can't be countered with arguments from self-appointed experts".  You quoted only a portion, and THAT is the sign of a falsificating mind.  That has no reason to exist here.  Anyone who tries to change the meaning of a persons quote should be immediately castigated, cast out, and banned.

So, would you like to add a post (acknowledging your CRIME against the forum) or just be considered trash?

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 12:24:01 PM
You left off the last part of his quote and that it something I'm going to rip you for!  His quote was actually "science can't be countered with arguments from self-appointed experts".  You quoted only a portion, and THAT is the sign of a falsificating mind.  That has no reason to exist here.  Anyone who tries to change the meaning of a persons quote should be immediately castigated, cast out, and banned.

So, would you like to add a post (acknowledging your CRIME against the forum) or just be considered trash?

I cut it out because surprisingly it makes his statement even more erroneous and because even if included, my argument need not change to account for it.

Gilgamesh

I mean, we all know an argument stands on its own merits alone, and not on the character of its maker. Right?

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 12:34:34 PM
I cut it out because surprisingly it makes his statement even more erroneous and because even if included, my argument need not change to account for it.

I'm not surprised you are incapable of admitting error in even the most obvious and provable ways.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 09, 2018, 12:36:45 PM
I mean, we all know an argument stands on its own merits alone, and not on the character of its maker. Right?

Never, ever, ever cut out a part of someone's quote jJUST because it makes your argument seem better!  Do you understand that?

You can when it goes on forever or doesn't change the meaning,  But not for a post advantage.