News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mad Flat Earther

Started by Cavebear, March 26, 2018, 01:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

“Mad” Mike Hughes, a DIY steam rocket enthusiast and flat-earther, launched himself far into the Californian sky all in the name of the cause. The self-declared flat earth researcher and self-taught rocket scientist blasted himself 1,875 feet into the air.

Mr Hughes declared he wanted to take photgraphic proof the Earth was flat.  My question...  Why didn't he just rent a plane?  Well, that's probably why he is called "Mad Mike".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

His background is replete with similar stunts, so I suspect "flatter" is just the current way to get attention.

BTW, did he actually get that thing into the air?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 26, 2018, 05:49:47 AM
His background is replete with similar stunts, so I suspect "flatter" is just the current way to get attention.

BTW, did he actually get that thing into the air?

And did he get a picture?
Though i'm surprises he doesn't think pictures steal The photographed subject's soul.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Hearing elsewhere that he did get it  up. Probably a first for him.

No news on the "rocket", however.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

There was a video of a launch on YouTube, but it did not show anyone getting into (or out of) the rocket.  I'm at work so I don't have the time of flexibility to see if there are other videos.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Pretty impressive pop bottle rocket.  That took a lot of Coke and Mentos!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

He wants to run for governor.

Cavebear

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 26, 2018, 06:57:10 PM
He wants to run for governor.

Depending on the State, he might win.   

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on March 26, 2018, 01:24:25 AM
The self-declared flat earth researcher and self-taught rocket scientist blasted himself 1,875 feet into the air.  My question...  Why didn't he just rent a plane?
A small plane only goes about as high as 100 ft.  A big jet can get up to about 600 ft.  To see the whole Earth, you need to get up to at least 1000 ft.  That's like half way to Mars.  You can't get to Mars in a plane.  You need a rocket, and it takes about a week.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 28, 2018, 05:37:43 AM
A small plane only goes about as high as 100 ft.  A big jet can get up to about 600 ft.  To see the whole Earth, you need to get up to at least 1000 ft.  That's like half way to Mars.  You can't get to Mars in a plane.  You need a rocket, and it takes about a week.

Haha ... that is when you follow people who have flexible measuring standards.  Like economists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

A small plane only goes about as high as 100 ft.
Bullshit.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on March 27, 2018, 12:29:46 AM
Depending on the State, he might win.
I can think of a couple governors he probably would be an improvement on...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Oh man, that was GREAT!  I caught the whole sarc right after "100 ft"...

I cherish posts like that!  I'm not kidding, there are streams of laughter tears running down my cheeks right now!