Political Compass, Obama Basically Romney

Started by Shiranu, June 17, 2013, 09:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

//http://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2012

Take political charts as you will, be I would agree with this chart more-or-less. I think Obama should be maybe a bit more Libertarian (perhaps a half-bar lower), but overall I think its accurate. Obama is basically Republican-lite, and only lite because of two or three social issues.

Rhetorically I think Obama is far more progressive, but in terms of actions... nah, he is just Bush 2.0.. At least Bush didn't come across as a smart guy (which he is)... Obama you expect better from.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

billhilly

Well, he does have Dick Cheney agreeing with him on a lot of things these days although Cheney was quicker to publically support gay rights.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"//http://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2012

[ Image ]

Take political charts as you will, be I would agree with this chart more-or-less. I think Obama should be maybe a bit more Libertarian (perhaps a half-bar lower), but overall I think its accurate. Obama is basically Republican-lite, and only lite because of two or three social issues.

Rhetorically I think Obama is far more progressive, but in terms of actions... nah, he is just Bush 2.0.. At least Bush didn't come across as a smart guy (which he is)... Obama you expect better from.
In no way shape or form is Obama republican lite, or bushII, or even close to romney. The fact is that the chart is scewed and inaccurate.

1) Did Obama take the test or was it submitted by someone else? The fact is that it was submitted by someone else with their OWN agenda so the result is highly subjective.

2) Obama doesn't move lightening quick but he gets results, solid proggressive results that are historic and landmark LIBERAL results.

3) Obama has had to deal with the most obstructionist Congress in history.

This "test", "chart" is nothing more than a child's game. It isn't accurate, it isn't even worthy of being posted and it certainly shouldn't be taken serious by any educated intelligent thinking person.

Jason Harvestdancer

White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Shiranu

Quote2) Obama doesn't move lightening quick but he gets results, solid proggressive results that are historic and landmark LIBERAL results.

Name ONE, please. Most are either moderate AT BEST results and none would I consider landmark.

Quote3) Obama has had to deal with the most obstructionist Congress in history.

Agreed, that is no excuse to therefor just agree with them and give them 99% of what they want.

QuoteIn no way shape or form is Obama republican lite, or bushII, or even close to romney. The fact is that the chart is scewed and inaccurate.

Then you must not pay attention to politics.

Look, I voted for him...twice... but I am both a progressive and a realist, and Obama is NOT fundamentally different enough from the Republicans to consider him part of a separate train of thought. Socially and ESPECIALLY economically his policies are the exact same that Republicans have been pushing and calling for. And on almost every key issue he is NOT looking out for progressives or even liberals.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "mykcob4"2) Obama doesn't move lightening quick but he gets results, solid proggressive results that are historic and landmark LIBERAL results.

Name ONE, please. Most are either moderate AT BEST results and none would I consider landmark.
Healthcare?  Oh wait...

Shiranu

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "mykcob4"2) Obama doesn't move lightening quick but he gets results, solid proggressive results that are historic and landmark LIBERAL results.

Healthcare?  Oh wait...

Yup. Even if the "original" Obama-care wasn't that much different from the watered down version, it was never a progressive policy, and the fact that it is touted as proof of how liberal Obama is depresses me. When this rubbish (a step up from what we had, perhaps, but still rubbish) is considered some sort of "far left, progressive/liberal dream"... it just shows how deeply conservative our culture actually is.

AllPurposeAtheist

Just think of president John McCain and vice president Sarah Palin or pres Mitt and vp Dumbfuck..  Oh yeah...lots better. :roll: We'd have declared war on Antarctica by now.. Thermonuclear war..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Quote from: "Shiranu"Take political charts as you will, be I would agree with this chart more-or-less. I think Obama should be maybe a bit more Libertarian.

Shouldn't those dots be a bit further up the x and y axis?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: "Shiranu"//http://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2012

[ Image ]
Yes, that's pretty much where I would put Obama on the chart.  Where is political heart may be is not really the issue.  I judge him by his actions.  The obstructionist congress is not really new, although it might be stronger than usual.  But I do not consider Obama a liberal in action, not even close.  As a Democrat, I would think he must be a Democrat that Republicans would admire, if not at least tolerate.  But of course they act like they don't, because he's a Democrat.

Early in his run for the president, I heard Republicans paint him as the "most liberal senator in the senate."  Of course, they always say that about their opponents.  I hope the American public hasn't bought that, but many of them probably do.  But I think Obama is very conservative.  He would make a good moderate Republican.  He's contributed to the Republican agenda more than most Republicans could on their own.

Gay rights is something the Republicans are getting ready to walk away from, because it's a battle they can't win with the voters.  So Obama's "contribution" to gay rights doesn't strike me as all that special.  His healthcare program is pretty pathetic.  Mandating everyone to buy insurance from wealthy private and historically unethical insurance providers doesn't impress me.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Just think of president John McCain and vice president Sarah Palin or pres Mitt and vp Dumbfuck..  Oh yeah...lots better. :roll: We'd have declared war on Antarctica by now.. Thermonuclear war..
It is a very sad commentary on the quality of Obama that the only argument in his favor is "the other guy is worse."
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

billhilly

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Just think of president John McCain and vice president Sarah Palin or pres Mitt and vp Dumbfuck..  Oh yeah...lots better. :roll: We'd have declared war on Antarctica by now.. Thermonuclear war..
It is a very sad commentary on the quality of Obama that the only argument in his favor is "the other guy is worse."

That's the standard argument for most if not all politicians.  That's why negative ads are so effective.

mykcob4

Quote2) Obama doesn't move lightening quick but he gets results, solid proggressive results that are historic and landmark LIBERAL results.

Quote3) Obama has had to deal with the most obstructionist Congress in history.

Agreed, that is no excuse to therefor just agree with them and give them 99% of what they want.

QuoteIn no way shape or form is Obama republican lite, or bushII, or even close to romney. The fact is that the chart is scewed and inaccurate.

Then you must not pay attention to politics.

Look, I voted for him...twice... but I am both a progressive and a realist, and Obama is NOT fundamentally different enough from the Republicans to consider him part of a separate train of thought. Socially and ESPECIALLY economically his policies are the exact same that Republicans have been pushing and calling for. And on almost every key issue he is NOT looking out for progressives or even liberals.
1) Health care reform bill. This legislation is as liberal and proggressive as it gets.
2) Repealing "don't ask don't tell' another very proggressive measure
3) Fair compensation for women act

All 3 bills(now law) are considered to be as liberal progressive as ever. The healthcare bill has been a liberal effort for over 60 years.
No president in history has made any progress to finally recognizing gays as Obama.
FDR, LBJ, and Obama, are the most liberal progressive presidents in history and they have made landmark break throughs in policy and fundemental governence.
To mischaratorize Obama as leaning conservative is just insane. It doesn't even make any sense.
True Obama is not looking out for liberals and progressives perse because he is the president of ALL the USA. People that get elected are never elected to look out for and passify just one ideology. They are elected to do the best job for the whole nation.
I am a far left Liberal Progressive Federalist in the same vain as James Madison, but even I know that no president can just represent one sector of this nation and hope to succeed on any level.
The test was scewed, it mischaratorizes Obama, the results are misleading, and is wholly inaccurate.
Obama hasn't agreed with the conservaturds 99% of the time. Cooperation is not agreement.

mykcob4

You people calling Obama a repuke are just cynical. The "all politicians are corrupt" argument. You aren't realist as you claim, you're not even idealist, you're cynics!

SGOS

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"It is a very sad commentary on the quality of Obama that the only argument in his favor is "the other guy is worse."
I believe that is his goal.  It's what his legacy will be.  Few presidents would like to be remembered as at least being better than George Bush, but that seems to be what Obama is shooting for; Anything better than being the worst president in history is a win these days.

Unfortunately, I believe getting worse than we have ever seen is entirely within the realm of possibility.  There are a lot of slugs out there, and with the country probably in the beginning of decline, who knows what people will vote for out of desperation?