This is your brain on religion. Any questions?

Started by trdsf, March 25, 2018, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Well, hopefully the kids learned a lesson from this data point: a Georgia mother deliberately crashed her car into a concrete pole to "prove" to her childrenâ€"ages five and sevenâ€"that 'god is real'.

'Course, she told her kids to buckle up (THEY WEREN'T ALREADY?!?) before she swerved and accelerated, so I betcha when she gets out of jail (she's in on two counts of child cruelty and for my money, she can just rot there) she blames them for not believing hard enough, rather than going "Wow, that was really fucking stupid of me."
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

people who value their beliefs beyond their own and others well being, there should be a new law for such special kind of people.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on March 25, 2018, 10:57:01 AM
Well, hopefully the kids learned a lesson from this data point: a Georgia mother deliberately crashed her car into a concrete pole to "prove" to her childrenâ€"ages five and sevenâ€"that 'god is real'.

'Course, she told her kids to buckle up (THEY WEREN'T ALREADY?!?) before she swerved and accelerated, so I betcha when she gets out of jail (she's in on two counts of child cruelty and for my money, she can just rot there) she blames them for not believing hard enough, rather than going "Wow, that was really fucking stupid of me."
Whoa, there--it worked!  Didn't it???  None of them were hurt--and if those ingrate kids had only believed 'harder' then mom would have missed the poll entirely!  I think she should do it again, and again until those damn kids get it right!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 25, 2018, 11:59:37 AM
people who value their beliefs beyond their own and others well being, there should be a new law for such special kind of people.

No politicians then?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 25, 2018, 12:06:13 PM
Whoa, there--it worked!  Didn't it???  None of them were hurt--and if those ingrate kids had only believed 'harder' then mom would have missed the poll entirely!  I think she should do it again, and again until those damn kids get it right!!

Better than the depressed mom who drove herself and the kids into a lake a few years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 25, 2018, 12:06:13 PM
Well, I'd prefer to think that a good god would actually stop her from putting her children through both the danger and the fear, as well as the monstrous disruption to their family, what with their mom going to jail and having a criminal record.  Whatever lesson it's going to teach, it's not the one she wanted.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Her telling her kids to buckle up reveals that she didn't completely believe God was going to miraculously cause the car to miss the concrete pole.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 25, 2018, 03:00:48 PM
Her telling her kids to buckle up reveals that she didn't completely believe God was going to miraculously cause the car to miss the concrete pole.
Nor really believed that her god would ensure they wouldn't get hurt.  Besides, think of all the millions of sick, starving, abused children there are in the world that her god does fuck-all about -- why should he do anything about hers?

Unbeliever

It just goes to show that people who claim God is on their side really are dangerous as hell.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 25, 2018, 05:15:38 PM
It just goes to show that people who claim God is on their side really are dangerous as hell.

Yep, the craziest people are theists.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 25, 2018, 10:43:50 PM
Yep, the craziest people are theists.

Nope, people who repeat the same political mistakes over and over, thinking they will get a different result, next time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Munch on March 25, 2018, 11:59:37 AM
are you talking about Trump again?

first we had the crusades. and then jihadists with car bombs. now we got people running into trees. What will they think of next?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on March 28, 2018, 12:54:35 PM

first we had the crusades. and then jihadists with car bombs. now we got people running into trees. What will they think of next?

You are assuming that people are thinking.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on March 28, 2018, 12:54:35 PM

Perhaps crossed laser beams in the future but also the trees will remain.  Driverless cars will never be perfect.  They might be better for some distracted drivers, but not for me, not yet.   
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Happy Easter!  Mom tazes son because he won't get up for church!  I'm sure that's how Jesus would have handled it... yeesh.