How you know the GOP has moved too far to the right

Started by trdsf, March 21, 2018, 03:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 09, 2018, 08:03:37 PM
Gilgamesh, I don't know if you remember, but when I first got here I came as fresh out of faith. I no longer Christian, but I was still sympathetic to those who were. My politics were still right of center until Trump, when I'd seen the Republican party for what it really was. It wasn't Democrats who turned me against Republicans. Republicans turned me against Republicans. If you really think Democrats are worse than Republicans, you clearly don't live in the South, where Republicans have power, and where racists proudly fly their Confederate flags in their front yards.

It took you that long to realize what fucks the Republicans are?  Been out of any sympathy for them since 86.  Yes, that long ago, we can't all be Generation Z ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 09, 2018, 09:22:49 PM
Democrats are the most influential? What country are you living in? Which party has the most seats in government? Which one has the majority in all three branches of the federal government? And Christian fundamentalists, who are the most powerful religious groups in America, which party do they almost unanimously approve of while considering the other to literally be serving Satan? Do you live in some fantasy world?

You can thank 8 years of Bill Clinton and 8 years of Barak Obama ... for destroying the Democrat Party.  It was such a shell of its former self, Hillary could take it over for $29.95 in change from the Clinton Crime Group.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 09, 2018, 06:39:08 PM
Oh, you're right. I'm sure those Nazis are really nice people once you get to know them. Democrats are more oppressive authoritarians? Excuse me? Which side is using religion as a basis for political decisions? Which one wants to make gay marriage and abortion illegal? Which one wants to teach Creationism in public school? Give me a fucking break.

Yeah, I can imagine, that liberals see this "in their mind's eye" every day in their own town ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSvS4LY26Yg

But I don't think so, even though I am very sensitive to the issue of Nazis.  I personally support gay rights (not that pronoun thing) ... and would be concerned, if I were an African-American, if I had KKK marching in my town like that, like they used to.  But it is 1920 every year in some people's minds, and every town is Mobile Alabama.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on April 09, 2018, 10:49:35 PM
It took you that long to realize what fucks the Republicans are?  Been out of any sympathy for them since 86.  Yes, that long ago, we can't all be Generation Z ;-)

That long? Dude, I'm still in my twenties. I'd only moved out of my parents' house a few years ago. I still have to listen to my aunts talk about how Obama is the literal anti-Christ every time we get together, and I grew up constantly hearing that kind of shit. No joke, one of my aunts seriously said once that that word "bomb" was in Obama's name, and that that was a sign that he was an evil Muslim.

I wasn't even alive in 1986, and I really don't care what the two parties were like back then. The world has changed a lot since then. It drives me nuts when Republicans say, "Well, Democrats were the pro-slavery ones around the time of the Civil War." I mean, seriously? If the best you can do to justify your own party's racism is to point to the racism of another party nearly 200 years ago, that's pretty pathetic. I care about today. Are there racist Democrats today? Definitely. Are there racist Republicans today? Oh yeah. Is there an equal ratio of racists between both parties? Not even close.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on April 09, 2018, 10:46:21 PM
There is no equality.  Both being bad, doesn't make them equal.  They are bad in different ways.

Maybe one day we'll have a better choice. Maybe Americans will grow a brain, stop voting Republican, and let the party either die or make dramatic changes in order to survive. But until that happens, when the given choice is between the party of overzealous SJWs college students and the party of racists, homophobes, science deniers, Bible thumpers, and Nazis, I'm going to go with the former.

And no, Gilgamesh, I am not going to stop bringing up Republican Nazis. It's not up to the party to choose who supports them. If the Republicans don't want the support of Nazis, they should change their policies so they are no longer attractive to Nazis. Or, I dunno, maybe they could start by publicly condemning the acts of Nazis instead of trying to pretend they don't exist, or claiming that those counter-protesting the Nazis are "just as bad."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

I was Republican in 1964.  There were progressive Republicans in those days.  Not now for sure...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 10, 2018, 02:32:28 AM
I was Republican in 1964.  There were progressive Republicans in those days.  Not now for sure...

Correct, but don't confuse the youth.  Anyone older than 30 (as we said in the 60s) is irrelevant.  If you don't have an iPhoneX you are hopelessly un-cool.

Because of a litmus test issue (gay rights) ... a party that seems to endorse those rights (and every party is duplicitous) can do whatever it wants.  Not cool.  Lenin was the wave of the future, in 1920.  Capitalism created WW I ... so therefore we must stop war, by all becoming Leninists.  The 450,000 Russians executed by the Cheka in 1917-1920 were a necessary sacrifice.

And no, I won't stop bringing up that the Democrat party is the Communist Party for this generation.  Utopia is just around the corner, and once the Revolution of the Resistance (most of those were French communists) wins, the State will wither ...

This is even more true in England with Labor and Corbin.  Unfortunately what happens in England, doesn't stay in England.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on April 10, 2018, 02:32:28 AM
Yeah, you used to have Republicans like John Chafee, John Anderson, Lowell Weicker, Nelson Rockefeller, Jacob Javits, Margaret Chase Smith... even Prescott Bush, George Sr's father, who was a long-time supporter of Planned Parenthood, and George Romney, father of Mitt Romney.

Nowadays, what they used to call 'Rockefeller Republicans' are called 'RINOs' -- Republicans In Name Only.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Well, quelle surprise, the GOP has attracted another neo-Nazi.  This one's running for the seat that Paul Ryan's just abandoned.  Let's see if the Wisconsin GOP has learned from their neighbors to the south and ensure he doesn't get past the primary.  And he's already raised $160,000 for the race, in comparison to the other Repub in the primary race, who's only got $4000 for his campaign so far.

Again, the GOP isn't recruiting these characters... but they are attracting them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on April 12, 2018, 10:44:50 AM
Well, quelle suprise, the GOP has attracted another neo-Nazi.  This one's running for the seat that Paul Ryan's just abandoned.  Let's see if the Wisconsin GOP has learned from their neighbors to the south and ensure he doesn't get past the primary.  And he's already raised $160,000 for the race, in comparison to the other Repub in the primary race, who's only got $4000 for his campaign so far.

Again, the GOP isn't recruiting these characters... but they are attracting them.

Many new D party candidates are to the Right also.  The rats know where the food is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Researching a little further - the Wisconsin GOP says they have "returned or donated" his county party membership dues, and issued a statement that he's "not a Republican".  They didn't say who they donated them to, which is troublingâ€"and also means they've effectively accepted his dues money anyway, since by donating it they've put it to their own use.

They also don't say anything about the fact that Nehlen had backing from the Orange Disaster Area himself in '16, during the brief period Ryan had a spine and wouldn't endorse the party's nominee.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on April 12, 2018, 02:05:15 PM
Researching a little further - the Wisconsin GOP says they have "returned or donated" his county party membership dues, and issued a statement that he's "not a Republican".  They didn't say who they donated them to, which is troublingâ€"and also means they've effectively accepted his dues money anyway, since by donating it they've put it to their own use.

They also don't say anything about the fact that Nehlen had backing from the Orange Disaster Area himself in '16, during the brief period Ryan had a spine and wouldn't endorse the party's nominee.

I think the interesting thing is that the local GOP folks are starting to reject such candidates that they used to applaud and support.  The extremists might win for a while, but without party help, it will be harder for them in the future.

I don't want to get too optimistic here.  Getting BOTH parties back toward the center is not going tom be certain OR easy.  But it IS possible that anger from the edges could cause enough dissatisfaction at the recent election results that more centrist candidates have a chance.  Lamb is a good example.

I don't know about anyone else, but a basically professional and functioning government seems like a pretty good idea to me...

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 12, 2018, 10:12:39 PMI don't know about anyone else, but a basically professional and functioning government seems like a pretty good idea to me...
But I heard on Infowars that career politicians are godless atheists who worship satan and that government is intrinsically evil (with the exception of Republican governments, which are always great) therefore, we should be glad to have a dysfunctional administration.  It's the little guy fighting the corrupt system.  If anything, we should be giving Trump medals for being so bad.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 12, 2018, 10:39:21 PM
But I heard on Infowars that career politicians are godless atheists who worship satan and that government is intrinsically evil (with the exception of Republican governments, which are always great) therefore, we should be glad to have a dysfunctional administration.  It's the little guy fighting the corrupt system.  If anything, we should be giving Trump medals for being so bad.

Well, that is easy to dismiss.  I'm an atheist dedicated to democracy in any fair fight between sides.  I completely accept democracy as the best system for governance.

On the other hand, if you NEED a benign dictator, I would be a pretty good one.  And I would work to restore democracy.  I'd be  a democracy-oriented MULE!