Thoughts on horror stories/camp fire tales/creepypastas

Started by Munch, March 18, 2018, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Just for the record, my boyfriend ate that bag of dicks.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on March 25, 2018, 09:11:35 PM
Just for the record, my boyfriend ate that bag of dicks.

There are times to not ask for details...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

One of the best short horror stories I read was this one.

QuoteA young girl is playing in her bedroom when she hears her mother call to her from the kitchen, so she runs downstairs to meet her mother.

As she's running through the hallway, the door to the cupboard under the stairs opens, and a hand reaches out and pulls her in. It's her mother. She whispers to her child, "Don't go into the kitchen. I heard it too."

its perfectly chilling, short and sweet, and understands the fundamental concepts of horror, something like this gives me more chills then a hundred bargain horror movies 

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 26, 2018, 12:34:48 PM
One of the best short horror stories I read was this one.

its perfectly chilling, short and sweet, and understands the fundamental concepts of horror, something like this gives me more chills then a hundred bargain horror movies

Reminds me of scenes from Coraline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-GyYBNLruI

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

I absolutely love Coraline, one of my fav animated movies.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 26, 2018, 07:55:32 PM

James and the Giant Peach?

Nightmare before Christmas?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on March 26, 2018, 07:55:32 PM

Just out of curiousity, why do horror movies interest you?  I just don't find fictional horror villains all that frightening. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 26, 2018, 11:19:30 PM
Just out of curiousity, why do horror movies interest you?  I just don't find fictional horror villains all that frightening.

for the same reason I find super heroes able to embolden, or comedians making me laugh. In terms of horror, I like at times to feel scared, or have something give me the chill. As someone who likes many different forms of fiction, horror is just one element of that, I can enjoy a story of a girl being demonically possessed as much as I enjoy seeing hulk smash loki about like a rag doll.

And just for the record, just cause someone is atheist, doesn't mean they can't enjoy fictional, fantasy, thrills and scares.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on March 27, 2018, 07:42:44 AM
for the same reason I find super heroes able to embolden, or comedians making me laugh. In terms of horror, I like at times to feel scared, or have something give me the chill. As someone who likes many different forms of fiction, horror is just one element of that, I can enjoy a story of a girl being demonically possessed as much as I enjoy seeing hulk smash loki about like a rag doll.

And just for the record, just cause someone is atheist, doesn't mean they can't enjoy fictional, fantasy, thrills and scares.
True enough; hell, I write SF.  I really should get back to the one where an alien race's first encounter with humans provides physical evidence for their primary creation myth (and to a lesser extent kills off a human subset of myths by providing a non-metaphysical explanation)... anyway, while I prefer plausibility in fiction, that's very much second to consistency.  Doesn't matter how implausible an event or character is if they're consistent within the rules set up for that world, and the rules are applied evenly and fairly across the board (script immunity notwithstanding).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I sometimes wonder whether the multiverse might contain universes in which the laws of physics permit things that we would consider magic or supernatural. I have no idea what are the true limits of physical laws in other universes, so it seems like it could be that way. But I'm very glad that our own universe doesn't allow such things - that might be truly scary!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 27, 2018, 01:38:29 PM
I sometimes wonder whether the multiverse might contain universes in which the laws of physics permit things that we would consider magic or supernatural. I have no idea what are the true limits of physical laws in other universes, so it seems like it could be that way. But I'm very glad that our own universe doesn't allow such things - that might be truly scary!

Let me ask, do you believe in the multiverse theory?

I suppose it's really one of those things we can't have legit proof of, likewise us knowing if there is another universe out there beyond the observable one in the infinite inky blackness

Going on that, all the monsters and creatures thought up in fantasy, imagine other planets and lifeforms out there, how they might view us as something terrifying to behold.

Unbeliever

No, it's not a matter of belief, any more than I "believe in" Hawking radiation, which also hasn't been confirmed through experiment, but is on a solid theoretical footing.
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 27, 2018, 01:38:29 PM
I think the only real useful definition of 'magic' is 'that which we cannot (yet) explain' -- which says nothing about whether it's actually explicable or not, just that as of that moment, it lacks an explanation.  There are a lot of things we have and do that we take for granted that even the best and brightest of an earlier age would have called sorcery.

Even the ones who try really hard to envision the future get it wrong.  The original Star Trek communicator is a case in point -- it's little more than a walkie-talkie with a really great range.  Compare it to the smart phone in your pocket.  Unless you've held on to the same flip phone since 2002, the phone in your pocket wins over the communicator every time, and gives the tricorder a good run for its money.

Of course, if you were to take a smartphone back fifty years, it would still be recognized as technology.  A typical person from the 1960s would look at it funny, but wouldn't call it magical.

If you took it back five hundred years, there's nothing else they could call it other than 'magic'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

As far as the multiverse goes, there are several different types that have been proposed. The level 1 (quilted) multiverse is quite plausible, since it depends only on whether or not the universe is of infinite spatial extent, and whether the universe outside our Hubble bubble is approximately like that inside of it - which both seem to be the case.

QuoteLevel 1: Regions Beyond Cosmic Horizon - The universe is essentially infinitely big and contains matter at roughly the same distribution as we see it throughout the universe. Matter can combine in only so many different configurations. Given an infinite amount of space, it stands to reason there exists another portion of the universe in which an exact duplicate of our world â€" and, in fact, our entire visible universe â€" exists.

I also like the conformal and ekpyrotic cyclic models.

QuoteThe conformal cyclic cosmology (CCC) is a cosmological model in the framework of general relativity, advanced by the theoretical physicists Roger Penrose and Vahe Gurzadyan.[1][2][3] In CCC, the universe iterates through infinite cycles, with the future timelike infinity of each previous iteration being identified with the Big Bang singularity of the next.

QuoteThe cyclic multiverse (via the ekpyrotic scenario) has multiple branes (each a universe) that have collided, causing Big Bangs. The universes bounce back and pass through time until they are pulled back together and again collide, destroying the old contents and creating them anew.

I like cyclic models because they make it possible to have an eternal return.
God Not Found

trdsf

I was thinking more about magic, as magic is commonly understood in terms of fantasy fiction.

If magic functions in a predictable manner, such that casting Spell A always has Effect B, and burning herb C soaked in blood D always summons critter E, under those circumstances, magic would be a science and not paranormal.  If it is consistent and testable, even if it's fucked up, it's a science.

Discuss.  :D