Thoughts on horror stories/camp fire tales/creepypastas

Started by Munch, March 18, 2018, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Being Atheist obviously makes the real world concept of ghosts and spirits and similar spooky elements null and void, but despite that, I have always had a love of horror stories, movies and lately creepypastas, ones done right of course.

The good thing about it is that horror covers a wide range of subjects, ones based on real life events like serial killers, psychopaths, being stalked, cannibals, psychological horror. I became a fan of the works of Junji ito due to this and have brought some of his works.
Given that, I do enjoy classic haunting movies, to me a supernatural haunting or demonic entity movie is just as realistic and the alien franchise, which also has some great horror elements to it, you don't have to believe the stuff in real life to find them scary in escapist fantasy.

I use to love listening to horror collections on cassette tapes as a teen like dracula and the picture of dorian grey and Frankensteins monster. I even remember on a school camping trip sitting around a campfire on a freezing night and being told scary stories by one of the teachers.

I guess I'm just curious, since horror reaches a broader subject then just supernatural, are there movies or stories you found chilling or entertaining at least?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Here is something you can sign up for ...

https://www.hauntedrooms.co.uk/8-real-ghost-stories-uk-british-true

My two favorite British ghost stories ...

1. A British serviceman, in WW I, who came home on leave to his family estate in Ireland.  He had a good stay and went back to the front.  Later his shocked parents got news that he had died in combat, some time before his last visit home!!

2. A British family, was setting up a home on an old Scottish site.  There was a tale, thereabouts, about a time several centuries past, when there was a war between clans.  This site had been a clan hideout.  At one point, the clan there had captured a piper from the enemy clan.  He was told, in no way should he warn his clan, if they came into the area, to avoid a planned ambush.  He did so anyway, with his pipes (coded message).  The clan punished him by cutting off both his hands, so he couldn't play the pipes anymore.  Under some flagstones, the modern family was excavating for a new foundation.  They found some flagstones, and a pair of skeletal hands hidden underneath!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

I listen to horror stories and creepypastas all the time, the paranormal scholar has one of the most soothing voices I’ve ever heard and she’s virtually always on my listen list. Many of the stories are for good fun and the true ones make for interesting reads. Corpse husband was a good narrator but he vanished for some reason or another.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on March 18, 2018, 09:40:35 PM
I listen to horror stories and creepypastas all the time, the paranormal scholar has one of the most soothing voices I’ve ever heard and she’s virtually always on my listen list. Many of the stories are for good fun and the true ones make for interesting reads. Corpse husband was a good narrator but he vanished for some reason or another.

I find Otis Jiry a very comforting voice to listen too. He's got a similar southern twang like Morgan Freeman
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hijiri Byakuren

There's only been one creepypasta that I was unable to finish, because it hit too close to home. It involved a young boy, about the same age as my cousin-nephew, being vivisected by a demonic clown.

That said, I do enjoy a good horror story from time to time, and particularly horror mysteries. /r/NoSleep once had a series of posts narrated from the perspective of a park ranger, and these posts detailed his attempt to figure out why random staircases would appear and disappear in the forest, and why park management was so hush-hush about the whole thing. It was a really fascinating read, and I was a little sad when the guy finally ended the series.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

I particularity like weird fiction and psychological horror.

Surreal horror is often very successful at changing how you look at the world, if only for a brief moment.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on March 18, 2018, 03:13:57 PM
Being Atheist obviously makes the real world concept of ghosts and spirits and similar spooky elements null and void, but despite that, I have always had a love of horror stories, movies and lately creepypastas, ones done right of course.

The good thing about it is that horror covers a wide range of subjects, ones based on real life events like serial killers, psychopaths, being stalked, cannibals, psychological horror. I became a fan of the works of Junji ito due to this and have brought some of his works.
Given that, I do enjoy classic haunting movies, to me a supernatural haunting or demonic entity movie is just as realistic and the alien franchise, which also has some great horror elements to it, you don't have to believe the stuff in real life to find them scary in escapist fantasy.

I use to love listening to horror collections on cassette tapes as a teen like dracula and the picture of dorian grey and Frankensteins monster. I even remember on a school camping trip sitting around a campfire on a freezing night and being told scary stories by one of the teachers.

I guess I'm just curious, since horror reaches a broader subject then just supernatural, are there movies or stories you found chilling or entertaining at least?
I liked Rob Zombie's "Halloween", it were funny! Never cared for "Alien", everything was in the critter's favor.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 19, 2018, 01:40:24 AM
I particularity like weird fiction and psychological horror.

Surreal horror is often very successful at changing how you look at the world, if only for a brief moment.

American life is surreal horror.  At least since Eisenhower.  Ars verite'
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I like the idea of spooky campfire stories.  I just don't have any good ones, except for a couple of old classics like the hook hanging on to the car door handle.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 18, 2018, 11:24:38 PM
There's only been one creepypasta that I was unable to finish, because it hit too close to home. It involved a young boy, about the same age as my cousin-nephew, being vivisected by a demonic clown.

That said, I do enjoy a good horror story from time to time, and particularly horror mysteries. /r/NoSleep once had a series of posts narrated from the perspective of a park ranger, and these posts detailed his attempt to figure out why random staircases would appear and disappear in the forest, and why park management was so hush-hush about the whole thing. It was a really fascinating read, and I was a little sad when the guy finally ended the series.
o

I know That exact story, and I’ve acrually spoken to the author of that story too. It wa as great read/listen but unfortunately it’s over now. In her own words she’s too depresssd to ever run it again
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Cavebear

The only things that bother me are real things.  Hornets, poisonous snakes, large dogs.

Movie monsters, supernatural creatures, etc don't bother me at all.  I do sometimes think about aliens.  If we AREN'T alone, the odds are good there is something nastier "out there".  But fortunately, it is unlikely we woukd ever meet.  I mean, either anything that could get to us would be just way too far advanced to contend against, and they are either peaceful or not.  Or they dangerous and can't get to us and are harmless or kind and neither matters. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Jason78

I like creepypasta and horror movies.   I'm actually fine with dead bodies, or bits of them.   Supernatural spirits are not a problem.   

The thing that really scares me though...

Spoiler tags don't work :(
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on March 22, 2018, 08:27:01 PM
I like creepypasta and horror movies.   I'm actually fine with dead bodies, or bits of them.   Supernatural spirits are not a problem.   

The thing that really scares me though...

Spoiler tags don't work :(

Spoiler tags are merely annoying, not dangerous.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

I generally don't go in for horror tales -- when I do, it's either because they successfully sucked me into the world they've created for it (Lovecraft, Poe and Stoker come to mind here), or because they rejected supernatural horror and retained an air of plausibility, that it could be happening right next door and you'd never know it.  I mean, there was nothing impossible about Norman Bates in Psychoâ€"and Bates was downright pedestrian compared to the real-life killer upon whom he was partially based, Ed Gein.

Outside of that, I prefer my horror diluted with humor, like Welcome to Night Vale.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on March 20, 2018, 03:35:37 AM
The only things that bother me are real things.  Hornets, poisonous snakes, large dogs.

Movie monsters, supernatural creatures, etc don't bother me at all.  I do sometimes think about aliens.  If we AREN'T alone, the odds are good there is something nastier "out there".  But fortunately, it is unlikely we woukd ever meet.  I mean, either anything that could get to us would be just way too far advanced to contend against, and they are either peaceful or not.  Or they dangerous and can't get to us and are harmless or kind and neither matters. 
I'm the same way, all those fictional monsters don't scare me at all, because I know they're not real. But the real monsters, like the guy blowing shit up in Austin, or school shooters, those are truly frightening.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman