News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rush Limbaugh: Did you see the Big Bang?

Started by Hydra009, March 17, 2018, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 23, 2018, 07:40:31 AM
Did Rush Limbaugh see Jesus? If not, same "logic" applies in this instance.

I don't think of him as being a Christian.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 23, 2018, 03:59:05 PM
And that is one of the wonders of the scientific method.  That we can see farther than our ancestors who could only make bad guesses and create deities to explain things.

Jason78 also ... I got to see thru an electron microscope ... one time.  Otherwise I have to rely on experts (high priests).  So do you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on March 23, 2018, 06:36:54 PM
Jason78 also ... I got to see thru an electron microscope ... one time.  Otherwise I have to rely on experts (high priests).  So do you.

It's material that anyone can learn if they were to put their mind to it.  You could be a research scientist too if you studied.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

I got to wondering about the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that is visible to humans when I found this.  I take it that light is a only a subset of the spectrum, and all that stuff radiating from stars also includes waves besides light like radio, microwave, X-ray, and Gamma, but some of those waves don't penetrate the atmosphere, otherwise we would all be mutants dying of cancer.

So my question is why don't all waves penetrate the atmosphere?  I mean a wave is a wave.   Why do some not pass through?  What's so special about a wave being very short or very long that prevents that passage?  And weirder still, why do the extremely long waves like radio pass through, but slightly less long microwaves don't, and then slightly less long light waves pass through again, and when they become less long than light they again don't make it through?

Gawdzilla Sama

Some waves interact with gases in the atmosphere and create chemicals.

Stratospheric ozone is formed naturally by chemical reactions involving solar ultraviolet radiation (sunlight) and oxygen molecules, which make up 21% of the atmosphere. In the first step, solar ultraviolet radiation breaks apart one oxygen molecule (O2) to produce two oxygen atoms (2 O) (see Figure Q2-1).
Q2 How is ozone formed in the atmosphere?
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/csd/assessments/ozone/2010/twentyquestions/Q2.pdf
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 23, 2018, 06:36:54 PM
How do you equate an expert in physics to a high priest?  One works within an intellectual framework.  The other works within an intellectual luminiferous æther.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 24, 2018, 08:46:47 AM
Some waves interact with gases in the atmosphere and create chemicals.

Stratospheric ozone is formed naturally by chemical reactions involving solar ultraviolet radiation (sunlight) and oxygen molecules, which make up 21% of the atmosphere. In the first step, solar ultraviolet radiation breaks apart one oxygen molecule (O2) to produce two oxygen atoms (2 O) (see Figure Q2-1).
Q2 How is ozone formed in the atmosphere?
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/csd/assessments/ozone/2010/twentyquestions/Q2.pdf
That's a good explanation for ultra violet waves.  I take it there must be different explanations for microwaves, x-rays, and gamma rays.  Or do these also react with molecules?  I know that parts of the spectrum are deflected by Earth's magnetic poles, and while that's not the same as a chemical reaction, or not the same as "cannot pass through the atmosphere", I can accept that for now.  So do we have all the waves that don't make it to us accounted for, or are there still more that have to be explained?

Gawdzilla Sama

Our magnetosphere bounces a lot of the solar wind around the Earth. (Google bait.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on March 24, 2018, 06:24:32 AM
It's material that anyone can learn if they were to put their mind to it.  You could be a research scientist too if you studied.

I could be an astronaut too ... if I were a space cadet.

I know the scientific material, it is the credulity of the public that bothers me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 24, 2018, 08:50:24 AM
How do you equate an expert in physics to a high priest?  One works within an intellectual framework.  The other works within an intellectual luminiferous æther.

You choose to worship the one, but not the other.  Depends on your ideology.  However go be a scientist yourself (a few of us can if you are young) and then they will know.  Everyone else are idiots in the pews.

And quantum theory proved the vacuum is interesting indeed.  Einstein was wrong about that.  The quantum vacuum doesn't work in the naive mechanical ways that Victorian science imagined though.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2018, 10:51:58 AM
You choose to worship the one, but not the other.
You've got me confused with yourself.  I don't worship anything.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 24, 2018, 11:26:28 AM
You've got me confused with yourself.  I don't worship anything.

Ideology is lower than worship, it is idolatry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Jason78 on March 24, 2018, 06:24:32 AM
I've studied somewhat, but I'm just a layman. I depend on the smart people to give me what I want to know, since I don't have the tools I'd need to do the experiments myself. They're part of my extended brain.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 24, 2018, 01:15:53 PM
I've studied somewhat, but I'm just a layman. I depend on the smart people to give me what I want to know, since I don't have the tools I'd need to do the experiments myself. They're part of my extended brain.

And that is why ... when CNN says ... make war on Russia, you go join up!  Experts ... watch out below.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.