Any one of you have ever gotten a perfect score in a test or exam?

Started by NellGwyn, March 16, 2018, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 26, 2018, 01:14:24 PM
Yes, you are a world famous myth scholar ... wonderful at everything!

"hey, you should reply to this one" - I am not sending you any private messages.  If someone is goading you, it is your responsibility to ignore them too.

It wsn't a goad, it was a suggestion.    Mostly, I have you on ignore.  Your posts are generally not worth a reply.  But sometimes I see a quoted message that deserves a reply or an email suggesting I should look at one.  So I do.

I read mythology as I read science, sociology, evolutionary biology, and psychology as an dedicated amateur.  And I do know something about mythology.  And Campbell is, in my personal and considered view, an idiot!  Just because you write a book and get on TV doesn't mean you are right.  And it doesn't mean I am right either.  It just means what I think, and I think about what I think.  I don't just throw opinions out here.  I think about them and consider opposing views, then form a decision
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 27, 2018, 01:39:50 AM
It wsn't a goad, it was a suggestion.    Mostly, I have you on ignore.  Your posts are generally not worth a reply.  But sometimes I see a quoted message that deserves a reply or an email suggesting I should look at one.  So I do.

I read mythology as I read science, sociology, evolutionary biology, and psychology as an dedicated amateur.  And I do know something about mythology.  And Campbell is, in my personal and considered view, an idiot!  Just because you write a book and get on TV doesn't mean you are right.  And it doesn't mean I am right either.  It just means what I think, and I think about what I think.  I don't just throw opinions out here.  I think about them and consider opposing views, then form a decision

Yes, criticize what you read and see.  Campbell was particularly down on Christianity, and up on Native American religion.  He was biased.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jesus

I like to appear in various forms, but my favorite is as a toast.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on March 27, 2018, 01:39:50 AM

I happen to like Campbell.  Two ideas of his stick out for me.  One is,  "Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning." And the other is, “If you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Follow your bliss and don’t be afraid.”  For me 'the purpose of life is life', and 'follow your bliss' sort of sums it all up.  He says you are in charge of you.  And I like that way of thinking.
His study of universal myth I find interesting in that basically all societies of all times and places have myths.  So, what are the central messages of all those myths?  Campbell attempts to find out.  And he does not subscribe any of those messages as from god(s), but people.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 02, 2018, 09:08:22 AM
I happen to like Campbell.  Two ideas of his stick out for me.  One is,  "Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning." And the other is, “If you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Follow your bliss and don’t be afraid.”  For me 'the purpose of life is life', and 'follow your bliss' sort of sums it all up.  He says you are in charge of you.  And I like that way of thinking.
His study of universal myth I find interesting in that basically all societies of all times and places have myths.  So, what are the central messages of all those myths?  Campbell attempts to find out.  And he does not subscribe any of those messages as from god(s), but people.

But can you understand something, if you don't practice it?  I see Campbell as a good scholar, but like the Pope telling me about marriage.  Gershom Scholem did the same thing with Kabbalah, a scholar, but not a practitioner.  Like a gourmand, who never eats anything.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 02, 2018, 09:08:22 AM

Those seem slightly "new age", but I understand.  My own view is that Campbell gives positive approval to almost all religions and suggests they are all equally accurate in the thoughts of the believers.

I understand that to him, that means some concepts all humans have in common.  But to me, that means he is sort of saying that all theisms are true just by being thought of, and I can't agree with that.

To put it more basically, Campbell believes all human imaginings of theism are correct "because we think them" and I won't accept that.

Baruch

Good arguing point, I think you are correct on Campbell.  And basically I agree with Campbell.  Correct = truth for you, and psychology is delusion (except when it isn't).  Common agreement among academic experts = objectivity = correct (as good as it gets at any given point in time).  in my case, psychology is the primary science, not physics or math ... and I am skeptical of any experts (because they are often wrong).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on April 04, 2018, 02:16:25 AM
Those seem slightly "new age", but I understand.  My own view is that Campbell gives positive approval to almost all religions and suggests they are all equally accurate in the thoughts of the believers.

I understand that to him, that means some concepts all humans have in common.  But to me, that means he is sort of saying that all theisms are true just by being thought of, and I can't agree with that.

To put it more basically, Campbell believes all human imaginings of theism are correct "because we think them" and I won't accept that.
I hear you.  But for me, I pick-and-chose from any philosopher on any subject.  I do not agree with anybody 100% of the time.  So, I pick what suits me and ignore/not agree with, everything else.  So, the fact he does not understand theism as I do matters not.  I just ignore that part. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 04, 2018, 08:58:36 AM
I hear you.  But for me, I pick-and-chose from any philosopher on any subject.  I do not agree with anybody 100% of the time.  So, I pick what suits me and ignore/not agree with, everything else.  So, the fact he does not understand theism as I do matters not.  I just ignore that part.

Well, I took an online test and it said I was 100% Kant and 75% Hume.  So who am I to argue.  LOL!  Well, I would have to write a book, right?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on April 04, 2018, 11:39:01 PM
  Well, I would have to write a book, right?
Yes you would--and you need to get right on it!  Now!  I'd read it.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 05, 2018, 09:29:38 AM
Yes you would--and you need to get right on it!  Now!  I'd read it.

I appreciate the encouragement.  But serious writers don't worry about their cats, or gardens, or dead light bulbs (except right over their desk) or dirty laundry or cooking meals.  LOL!

So I am going to say this entirely tongue-in-cheek and for amusement only (betting I get hit anyway).  I need a wife...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2018, 01:22:09 AM
I appreciate the encouragement.  But serious writers don't worry about their cats, or gardens, or dead light bulbs (except right over their desk) or dirty laundry or cooking meals.  LOL!

So I am going to say this entirely tongue-in-cheek and for amusement only (betting I get hit anyway).  I need a wife...

Wives say that too ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2018, 01:22:09 AM

mail-order-bride????

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 07, 2018, 09:38:43 AM
mail-order-bride????

I explored that when I was a young adult, not yet married.  But I couldn't figure how to get the woman into the shipping container ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

A mail-order bride should not be shipped UPS or the U.S. postal service, but should always be shipped in style, on your private jet or yacht. If those are out of the question, then there's always steerage.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman