Any one of you have ever gotten a perfect score in a test or exam?

Started by NellGwyn, March 16, 2018, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 16, 2018, 11:10:37 PM
Went through HS and college and scored 100% several times.  But I took two courses through the CA National Guard.  Two week classes.  Security Manager was one and NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical training) and scored 100% in all quizzes/tests in both courses.

OK, you can keep the nuclear football this week ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Yes.  Astronomy 101 midterm and final.  The professor said he had never seen that before.  Well, it was a hobby.  I also scored 100% on the Professional and Administrative Exam (PACE) Civil Service test in all 6 categories in 1976.   It got me a job and that was all I cared about.  I was surprised my other co-workers hadn't though (I didn't bring up the subject, some smartass mentioned his 98 so I got out out my test result).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

I actually got a 108% score on a civil service test.  It was the test for the postal service that was offered to all GI's that were near the end of their enlistment.  And I was not even the highest scorer on that test--a couple of guys scored 110%.  As an ex GI, we were given 10 points extra on the test.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 17, 2018, 09:04:55 AM
I actually got a 108% score on a civil service test.  It was the test for the postal service that was offered to all GI's that were near the end of their enlistment.  And I was not even the highest scorer on that test--a couple of guys scored 110%.  As an ex GI, we were given 10 points extra on the test.

And the extra 10 were well-deserved!

SGOS

I knew a guy on a fire crew that got paid for a 25 hour day.  As he related the story, he noted that some guy higher up the chain of command took issue with it by pointing out there were only 24 hours in a day, but his immediate supervisor gave it some brief consideration and interceded on his behalf with a simple, "Pay him for 25," and so he got paid for 25 hours.  But this was before paychecks were processed by computers.  I don't know if it would fly today.

SGOS

I aced an exam or two in college.  There were also courses where I was delighted with a B.

SGOS

I've heard colleges give out higher grades today, but I've had no actual experience with the current college environment for the last 25 years.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 17, 2018, 09:23:25 AM
I aced an exam or two in college.  There were also courses where I was delighted with a B.

To balance things out, I failed Econ 001 a lecture clss from "B or Better Dr Snow.  You couldn't get a C.  I failed.  The lectures were at 8 am ans 9 am and because I had a 10 am class nearby, I got used to attending the later lecture.  They were identical.

But I forgot and took the only test (the Final) and got disqualified because they worried I had cheated by looking at the 8 am exam and taking it at 9 am.  They were so stupid that the tests were identical and anyone in the 9 am lecture could have done the same thing.  But I was REGISTERED for 8 am.

So I had to repeat the lectures.  Not that I went to any of the lectures (talk about obvious simple material), but I made sure take the Final in the right hour the 2nd time around.  And then took it for friends in later semesters just for fun and $10 ( I was broke and eating Hamburger Helper Helper). 

SGOS

Oddly, I too remember econ with misgivings.  I loved the text, and studied hard for the midterm.  There was one question worth 40% of the test that was a math problem.  I had no clue as to what the problem was, how to solve it, or what lecture or part of the text it came from.  I failed the midterm... along with the rest of the class except for one guy, a graduate student, I think, who was able to do the problem.

So the professor gave a second midterm, which would replace the grade of the first midterm, and I failed that one too... along with the rest of the class, except for that other guy.

I continued to study the text and listen to the lectures, as the subject was truly interesting, but when it came time for the final, I opted not to study for it, and put all my time into three other 5 credit courses where I knew I would do well.  So without any review on my part, the final came, and it was just a regular final with no mysterious problem to solve that was worth 40% of the test.  I got a B and kicked myself for not studying for the final.

I had a good quarter as I aced the other finals, but missed the 4.0 point average that I could have had.  I got a 3.8 something because econ was only a three credit course.  I was home for Christmas when the report card was mailed home, and I proudly showed it to my father.  His reaction was, "Well that looks OK, except for that B."  But I could never please my father, and never got used to it.  He was an asshole.  Seriously, he was always an asshole, so it shouldn't have pissed me off, but it did.

Mermaid

Quote from: SGOS on March 17, 2018, 09:25:40 AM
I've heard colleges give out higher grades today, but I've had no actual experience with the current college environment for the last 25 years.
I am 55 and in school now. It's not any easier. But of course that depends on the institution.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on March 17, 2018, 10:14:19 AM
I am 55 and in school now. It's not any easier. But of course that depends on the institution.
That's good to hear.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on March 17, 2018, 09:23:25 AM
Hell, there were courses I celebrated with a C!  Machine Language was one.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 17, 2018, 10:47:42 AM
Hell, there were courses I celebrated with a C!  Machine Language was one.
I bought a book in a book store with a jacket that promised an understanding of machine language.  I got nothing out of it.  It might as well have been written in ancient Babylonian.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 17, 2018, 09:37:07 AM
To balance things out, I failed Econ 001 a lecture clss from "B or Better Dr Snow.  You couldn't get a C.  I failed.  The lectures were at 8 am ans 9 am and because I had a 10 am class nearby, I got used to attending the later lecture.  They were identical.

But I forgot and took the only test (the Final) and got disqualified because they worried I had cheated by looking at the 8 am exam and taking it at 9 am.  They were so stupid that the tests were identical and anyone in the 9 am lecture could have done the same thing.  But I was REGISTERED for 8 am.

So I had to repeat the lectures.  Not that I went to any of the lectures (talk about obvious simple material), but I made sure take the Final in the right hour the 2nd time around.  And then took it for friends in later semesters just for fun and $10 ( I was broke and eating Hamburger Helper Helper).

Einstein had friends attend lecture, produce notes, and share their notes with him.  He preferred the library.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 17, 2018, 10:02:36 AM
Oddly, I too remember econ with misgivings.  I loved the text, and studied hard for the midterm.  There was one question worth 40% of the test that was a math problem.  I had no clue as to what the problem was, how to solve it, or what lecture or part of the text it came from.  I failed the midterm... along with the rest of the class except for one guy, a graduate student, I think, who was able to do the problem.

So the professor gave a second midterm, which would replace the grade of the first midterm, and I failed that one too... along with the rest of the class, except for that other guy.

I continued to study the text and listen to the lectures, as the subject was truly interesting, but when it came time for the final, I opted not to study for it, and put all my time into three other 5 credit courses where I knew I would do well.  So without any review on my part, the final came, and it was just a regular final with no mysterious problem to solve that was worth 40% of the test.  I got a B and kicked myself for not studying for the final.

I had a good quarter as I aced the other finals, but missed the 4.0 point average that I could have had.  I got a 3.8 something because econ was only a three credit course.  I was home for Christmas when the report card was mailed home, and I proudly showed it to my father.  His reaction was, "Well that looks OK, except for that B."  But I could never please my father, and never got used to it.  He was an asshole.  Seriously, he was always an asshole, so it shouldn't have pissed me off, but it did.

Machiavellian strategy to get thru college is advised.  I was too naive at times in choosing and scheduling classes ... I assumed the college had my back.

Econ was OK, but back when I was 21 I didn't know much about reality, just what I was told by adults.  The Accounting 101 I took with my Masters, was the better business course.  But it revealed the "flexibility" as to what counted as debit or credit (as driven by tax code or investment strategy).  Anything past cash-accounting (accrual accounting) is the devil's work.

Yes, your father was an asshole.  Sorry about that.  My father didn't finish HS, so he never complained about my poor grades.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.