News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RIP Stephen Hawking

Started by trdsf, March 14, 2018, 12:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Even granting that with his illness, he lived far longer than one might have expectedâ€"in 1964 he was given two to three years to liveâ€"the news that Stephen Hawking has died is still something of a shock.

Time to dig up my audiobook of 'A Brief History of Time'.  Damn.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' - Stephen Hawking

:(
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Coincidentally, I was reading a book this afternoon that referenced Stephen Hawking and Googled his age. I'm many ways he was an inspiration.

Munch

Oh no :(

We've lost one of the greatest minds of the current age.

R.I.P Stephen, we all rejoin the stars eventually
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 14, 2018, 01:48:22 AM
Coincidentally, I was reading a book this afternoon that referenced Stephen Hawking and Googled his age. I'm many ways he was an inspiration.
Also, coincidentally, Hawking was on my mind two days ago.  I was thinking about how amazing it was the he lived so long with an ALS diagnosis.  And today he is gone.

Hakurei Reimu

I heard the news not an hour ago.

I can't say I am shocked. Nor do I feel like he died before his time. Just surprised and pleased that he lived as long as he did, became world famous, and even got to guest star on ST:TNG. I would be happy with that life.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Mike Cl

It seems god had to work extra hard to keep Hawking alive.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 14, 2018, 10:38:59 AM
Must have irked him too.

"I am an atheist"
      -Stephen Hawking

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/im-atheist-stephen-hawking-god-space-travel-n210076

Unbeliever

Damn, I'm torn up about this! But we all have to go sometime, even the best of us. My favorite Stephen Hawking video was when he got to be weightless for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2KrEH-8lJw
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 14, 2018, 10:38:59 AM

Or extra hard to bring him down.

I definately recommend not reading any "regular" forums about his death... I am seeing spam everywhere about how he is going to hell, yada yada, this proves atheism is wrong because we all die... (wut?).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on March 14, 2018, 02:06:25 PM

I definately recommend not reading any "regular" forums about his death... I am seeing spam everywhere about how he is going to hell, yada yada, this proves atheism is wrong because we all die... (wut?).
I saw a couple of those, and tuned them right out.

I was visiting friends a couple years ago and their daughter, grandson and son-in-law were over and a program happened to be on that included Hawking and son-in-law rather disdainfully commented, "How can someone be that smart and not believe in god?"

I bit down all my other more aggressive and/or insulting responses and held myself to a tart "Because there is no physical, concrete evidence."  Happily, the matter died there.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on March 14, 2018, 02:06:25 PM

I missed all those--haven't been to any of those sites in awhile--glad I did.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Unbeliever

I just found out (should already have known) that Professor Hawking died on Einstein's birthday, and also on pi day!

http://bgr.com/2018/03/14/stephen-hawking-death-cause-5-things-to-know/
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman