News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why Marvel Will Never Win An Oscar

Started by SGOS, March 13, 2018, 01:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 02:30:56 AM
Well, no Marvel (or DC) movie is likely to win an important Oscar because the Academy just doesn't like science fiction.  They want deep crying emotional movies that are "meaningful to the human condition",
Yeah, I don't get much enjoyment watching 90 minutes of some dude with emotional problems struggle with his existential angst.  Sure, there are people like that in real life.  I try to avoid them.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 15, 2018, 04:14:35 AM
Yeah, I don't get much enjoyment watching 90 minutes of some dude with emotional problems struggle with his existential angst.  Sure, there are people like that in real life.  I try to avoid them.

Blame Euripides .. he invented the anti-hero.  Real heroes don't have emotional problems, they cause them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 15, 2018, 04:14:35 AM

There IS a certain simplicity about "Hulk, Smash", and when the Hulk grabbed Loki by the feet and just beat him around on the floor in that Avengers movie, I had to  to both laugh and cheer.  And his "Puny Gods" was a great line.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 06:06:22 AM
There IS a certain simplicity about "Hulk, Smash", and when the Hulk grabbed Loki by the feet and just beat him around on the floor in that Avengers movie, I had to  to both laugh and cheer.  And his "Puny Gods" was a great line.
Yeah, the was one of the most surprising and best executed scenes I've ever seen out of Hollywood.

I've seen some bloggers claim without the angst, except for the Hulk, although Banner himself is highly conflicted, the superhero film fails.  Whatever.  That seems a rather nitpicky complaint and is even contrary to what I want to watch.  Sure an emotionally insecure superhero could be an interesting character, and could be a good idea, but after Hollywood makes it a part of the superhero formula, it becomes a redundant bore, and I want to scream at the screen, "Can't you guys think of anything new?"

Baruch

Yes!  Embrace the anger!

Sometimes protagonists just have to shut up, and smash something or someone!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 15, 2018, 06:25:47 AM
Yeah, the was one of the most surprising and best executed scenes I've ever seen out of Hollywood.

I've seen some bloggers claim without the angst, except for the Hulk, although Banner himself is highly conflicted, the superhero film fails.  Whatever.  That seems a rather nitpicky complaint and is even contrary to what I want to watch.  Sure an emotionally insecure superhero could be an interesting character, and could be a good idea, but after Hollywood makes it a part of the superhero formula, it becomes a redundant bore, and I want to scream at the screen, "Can't you guys think of anything new?"

The Hulk has always been an interesting character.  I know him from the start when he was both smart like Bruce Banner AND been crazy strong, and as he separated from rationality later.  Different writers have had different views of him, and I understand the latest view is that Bruce Banner was an abused child. 

But there were 2 other scenes I liked.  First, when Banner said you shot a gun into his mouth and the Hulk spit it out (suggesting speed of transition) and when he walked up to one of those dragons in Avengers 2? and changed saying "I'm always angry" as he swung at it as Bruce and landed the blow as the Hulk!

I saw a Ragnarok teaser with the Hulk attacking Fenris or the Midgard Dragon (not sure which) and the meesing with the mythology vaguely bothers me, but it seemed a fair match, LOL!

Gawdzilla Sama

Comic book movies are based on comics. This causes the pig's ear quandry; how can a movie rise above it's source material?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

"Puny god."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 10:42:19 AM
Comic book movies are based on comics. This causes the pig's ear quandry; how can a movie rise above it's source material?
The old response from many movie goers was often, "It wasn't as good as the book," and sometimes I would agree, but not always.  Movies can be better, but maybe not an accurate detailed reproduction of the source.  Not having read the actual comics, but from parts of discussions here, I understand the Marvel often doesn't always hold true to the comics, although, I don't hear that necessarily as a complaint.  It's more like an observation most of the time.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 10:42:19 AM
Oh?  Pray tell, what is inherently wrong with a writer putting the story in a comics format?

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 10:42:58 AM
"Puny god."

Well, yeah. it WAS "puny god".    But he wasn't too kind to Thor either, LOL!

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 15, 2018, 11:13:58 AM
The old response from many movie goers was often, "It wasn't as good as the book," and sometimes I would agree, but not always.  Movies can be better, but maybe not an accurate detailed reproduction of the source.  Not having read the actual comics, but from parts of discussions here, I understand the Marvel often doesn't always hold true to the comics, although, I don't hear that necessarily as a complaint.  It's more like an observation most of the time.

It takes a True Believer from the Origin days of Marvel comics in the 60s to know.  And I suppose it doesn't really matter to anyone but us.  But we do remember...  ;)

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on March 15, 2018, 11:13:58 AMNot having read the actual comics, but from parts of discussions here, I understand the Marvel often doesn't always hold true to the comics, although, I don't hear that necessarily as a complaint.  It's more like an observation most of the time.
The movies mostly don't very accurately match their comics counterparts, but they closely match their spirit.

For example, the Guardians of the Galaxy got together in very different circumstances, some characters were cut or make much smaller appearances (Mantis, Warlock, Phyla-vell, Moondragon).  And basically the whole plot was different.

However, the characters were mostly intact and they engage in the same sorts of hijinks that their comics counterparts get up to - one big dysfunctional family up against nearly impossible odds, selflessly- *looks at Rocket* -mostly selflessly saving the day.

Marvel kept the core of the story intact.  That's why Guardians and its other movies go on to success when so many other comics adaptations fail.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 15, 2018, 02:28:25 PM
The movies mostly don't very accurately match their comics counterparts, but they closely match their spirit.

For example, the Guardians of the Galaxy got together in very different circumstances, some characters were cut or make much smaller appearances (Mantis, Warlock, Phyla-vell, Moondragon).  And basically the whole plot was different.

However, the characters were mostly intact and they engage in the same sorts of hijinks that their comics counterparts get up to - one big dysfunctional family up against nearly impossible odds, selflessly- *looks at Rocket -mostly selflessly saving the day.

You remember Mantis?!  She was one of my favorites. 

I agree that some Marvel comics movies match the spirit though not the details.  Its not like I go to comfabs to replicate to memories, but i just remember the details.  When you spend your whole 25 cent weekly allowance deciding which  2 12cent comics to buy at 12 years old, you remember stuff.

For example, I mostly accepted the original Fantastic Four movie, though they utterly botched Dr Doom's origin.  But the remake was horrid in the origins.  Spiderman did OK,  but there was no Gwen Stacey,  but they sort of got the Goblin right.  X-Men was all wrong in the origin characters.  Etc...

Marvel kept the core of the story intact.  That's why Guardians and its other movies go on to success when so many other comics adaptations fail.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 15, 2018, 02:02:30 PM
Oh?  Pray tell, what is inherently wrong with a writer putting the story in a comics format?
I just lol'd.
PZ Myers