News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why Marvel Will Never Win An Oscar

Started by SGOS, March 13, 2018, 01:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I can't think of why not, considering the blockbuster nature of all its films, but for some reason, I intuitively feel there is something correct about Hollywood snubbing Marvel.  None of the Oscar winners were among my favorites, but that's because Marvel made all of my favorites.  Not to say most of the Oscar winners were not good films.  Some were actually pretty good.  But my movie life today is built around waiting for the next Marvel movie filling in the spaces between with lesser fare.  I don't consider myself part of a niche group that is interested mostly in some obscure subject.  I think I'm part of a huge Marvel fan base, which is probably bigger than any other, although I might be more enamored than others with Marvel.  So what keeps Marvel out of contention?

Note, I didn't watch the Oscars, nor do I wish I had, but I did look up the winners after it was all over.  Maybe I missed something.

Baruch

Hollyweird is secular, Jewish, Democrat ... and elitist (like the Clintons).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on March 13, 2018, 01:09:17 PM
I can't think of why not, considering the blockbuster nature of all its films, but for some reason, I intuitively feel there is something correct about Hollywood snubbing Marvel.  None of the Oscar winners were among my favorites, but that's because Marvel made all of my favorites.  Not to say most of the Oscar winners were not good films.  Some were actually pretty good.  But my movie life today is built around waiting for the next Marvel movie filling in the spaces between with lesser fare.  I don't consider myself part of a niche group that is interested mostly in some obscure subject.  I think I'm part of a huge Marvel fan base, which is probably bigger than any other, although I might be more enamored than others with Marvel.  So what keeps Marvel out of contention?

Note, I didn't watch the Oscars, nor do I wish I had, but I did look up the winners after it was all over.  Maybe I missed something.

Wait till this coming Oscars, there is a very good chance "Black Panther" walks away with something.

(On that note, anyone seen the reviews of BP coming out of China? "Too many black people, it made me feel uncomfortable and was unrelatable." --- "I have never been to a movie so black, I couldn't find my chair!", etc. . It's really getting slammed, but not even for anything film related. It has like a 60-something on the Chinese equivalent of Rotten Tomatoes, mostly of reviews like those.)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 13, 2018, 01:44:54 PM
The Oscars were last week.

Right, but BP came out this year which made it ineligible for this one. For example, "Logan" was nominated during this Oscars... even though that came out basically a year ago.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on March 13, 2018, 03:47:06 PM
Right, but BP came out this year which made it ineligible for this one. For example, "Logan" was nominated during this Oscars... even though that came out basically a year ago.
Never paid that much attention to them. Gary Oldman earned his Oscar, that's all I know.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I'm really glad Gary Oldman won an Oscar, he's one of my favorite actors. I was really impressed with him in Romeo is Bleeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE6m_05dQfw

Damn, that was the wrong trailer!

Here's the one I meant to post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHft_cw-RBI

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

After posting, I started thinking about the question, and I started to wonder if Hollywood views Marvel as kind of an unfit competitor.  Comic book writers making Hollywood films?  Comic book writers making more entertaining stories than Hollywood comes up with?  The audacity of such hacks might be too much to handle.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 13, 2018, 01:21:27 PM
Wait till this coming Oscars, there is a very good chance "Black Panther" walks away with something.

(On that note, anyone seen the reviews of BP coming out of China? "Too many black people, it made me feel uncomfortable and was unrelatable." --- "I have never been to a movie so black, I couldn't find my chair!", etc. . It's really getting slammed, but not even for anything film related. It has like a 60-something on the Chinese equivalent of Rotten Tomatoes, mostly of reviews like those.)

No, not true.  Only White Male Republicans are racist!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

wanna know my thoughts on the oscars, and baftas, and all other award shows?

I no longer care what these piece of shit, integrity destroying, pre-brought mockeries of 'entertainment' try to offer. I've seen to many great movies either shit on or outright ignored by these organizations in favor of complete crap. They ignore things like the animation industry and independent film makers. They don't care about the art of film making, they would sooner vote in another michael bay smash and blast garbage pile then find films that people poured their heart and soul into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpFvlghpAe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY8vtL2Fbck

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

I always thought that the Oscars were for *certain* kinds of movies - the "powerful performances" kind of movies, oscar-bait movies as opposed to the movies that the general public actually enjoys. (Not to imply that the general public doesn't like these movies at all, just that they're not representative of the successful films that year)

And while some sci-fi, fantasy, and animated films do win academy awards (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, Fantastic Beasts, Suicide Squad, Zootopia, Fury Road, Interstellar, Big Hero 6) it's pretty obvious that they're underrepresented and superhero genre in particular (suicide squad, really?!) is seriously snubbed.

While I don't expect "elite" shows like this to cater to the average schlub's preferences, it does strike me as navel-gazing.  I can't say I'm a fan.  Though, then again, these ceremonies aren't really meant for me, are they?

Hydra009

And before I forget, Marvel has an Oscar.  Spider-Man 2 (2002) won an Academy award for Best Visual Effects.

Oh, and Dick Tracy (now here's a movie that stood the test of time!)  That's Marvel, right?  No?  Nvm.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 13, 2018, 09:20:41 PM
Oh, and Dick Tracy (now here's a movie that stood the test of time!)  That's Marvel, right?  No?  Nvm.
Dick Tracy was a weekly syndicated comic that appeared every Sunday in the Chicago Tribune.  I don't know where else it appeared.  Our family only got the Tribune.  At that time of my life, Dick Tracy and everything else seemed like a part of eternity, but it finally got dropped long after I left home.  I never read Dick Tracy seriously because it was too serious for my young tastes, but I remember it because it always appeared on the top of the first page of the comic section.  I think it appeared daily in pen and ink drawings as part of the serial.  I would read the Sunday one once in a while, but never really knew what was going on having missed a weeks worth the series.  I remember the movie, but it didn't seem to capture the feel of the comic, although I can't say that with authority, as I never understood the comic version.

Cavebear

Well, no Marvel (or DC) movie is likely to win an important Oscar because the Academy just doesn't like science fiction.  They want deep crying emotional movies that are "meaningful to the human condition", have famed actors on their knees "Stellllla..." or contentious close scenes (12 Angry Men), which I love.

Hollywood makes its money off of action and sci-fi movies but they won't love them.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!