Do you think Adolph Hitler is locked in hell forever?

Started by NellGwyn, March 10, 2018, 09:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

The biggest motivator for me to keep off the weed with the experience of quitting. I knew that if I started smoking again I'd have to go through that again, and there was no fucking way I was going to double down on that shit.

Today, at 66.6 years old I have emphysema and heart disease. If I was still smoking I'd be dead right now. As it was I gave my lung 30 years to repair themselves before the nasty shit set in. The sooner you quit the longer you'll live, at least in this frame of reference.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

NellGwyn

I guess Hitler can be locked in hell forever, but at his own will.  I found this quote by C. S. Lewis, "I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside" (The Problem of Pain, 130)
I believe in science more than God.

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 13, 2018, 08:46:23 AM
Presuppositions are fun pastimes.
I quit smoking sometime in November 2004, I remember vividly how one early morning I woke up with a tobacco cough that was so bad I thought I was choking. I had a carton of cigarettes which I smoked, but I have never bought myself a pack of smokes for myself since. I have, on occasion smoked a cig while drunk, but that has been few and far between. But for the most part I don't smoke. I think I have probably smoked about 4 or 5 cigarettes since 2004.
When I quit, I attended a no-smoking clinic to get over the hump at the University.  The group was sponsored by doctor from the University Health Center.  I remember him cautioning us that after we quit, we might experience severe coughing spells.  Apparently, nicotine had some chemical that suppresses coughs while you smoke, and when it's no longer in your system, your lungs will work over time trying to clear out the left over crap.  I never experienced that, however.

Mike Cl

Quote from: NellGwyn on March 13, 2018, 10:00:16 AM
I guess Hitler can be locked in hell forever, but at his own will.  I found this quote by C. S. Lewis, "I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside" (The Problem of Pain, 130)
One can find a reason to believe a fiction in many different places.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

So basically "God doesn't throw you into Hell; you throw yourself into Hell." I've heard that argument before. And are you getting your theology from fiction writers now? Well, at least he's honest about his work being fiction, unlike some other people.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 13, 2018, 11:22:38 AM
So basically "God doesn't throw you into Hell; you throw yourself into Hell." I've heard that argument before. And are you getting your theology from fiction writers now? Well, at least he's honest about his work being fiction, unlike some other people.

That is actually the Muslim theological view.  Stubborn people are enabled to be stubborn (harden Pharaoh's heart).  Iblis-Shaytan is the most stubborn angel, argues with G-d that G-d can't change his mind, when G-d presents Adam as his new improved creation, better than angels.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Simon Moon

How do you know any of this?

What makes you think that C.S. Lewis had some kind of inside knowledge?
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Unbeliever

She believes it, so that means she knows it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Don't forget the desire to believe it in the first place, independent of logic or evidence.

Speaking of, it's awfully convenient that the damned have willingly brought it on themselves.  It makes believing in this stuff just a tad more palpabale.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 13, 2018, 08:46:23 AM
Presuppositions are fun pastimes.
I quit smoking sometime in November 2004, I remember vividly how one early morning I woke up with a tobacco cough that was so bad I thought I was choking. I had a carton of cigarettes which I smoked, but I have never bought myself a pack of smokes for myself since. I have, on occasion smoked a cig while drunk, but that has been few and far between. But for the most part I don't smoke. I think I have probably smoked about 4 or 5 cigarettes since 2004.

The only place I smoke is sitting here in front of the computer while I think and type.  I have no desire otherwhere or otherwise.  It is habituation, not addiction.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Jason78

Quote from: NellGwyn on March 10, 2018, 10:55:00 AM
This is to those who answered.  There is hell,

Where?   My satnav can't seem to find it.

and I did not say hell means tortures and suffers (and neither did you). 

That's the generally accepted definition.    If you wish to redefine words, then please do so at the start of your argument.

There is hell, where Demon dwells, and sinners get what they deserve. 

So what do they deserve?  Not torturing and suffering apparently according to you.   So what do they get?

Do the demons get it too?   
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Demons enjoy hell, that is why some posters insist on being banned ;-)  Purgatory isn't bad enough.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on March 15, 2018, 03:49:23 AM
Where?   My satnav can't seem to find it.

That's the generally accepted definition.    If you wish to redefine words, then please do so at the start of your argument.

So what do they deserve?  Not torturing and suffering apparently according to you.   So what do they get?

Do the demons get it too?

Well, as there is no heaven, there is equally no hell. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hijiri Byakuren

Hitler ceased to exist when he put a bullet into his own brain.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 15, 2018, 11:25:57 AM
Hitler ceased to exist when he put a bullet into his own brain.

Except for being alive and well and living in Argentina ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.