News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Use a cell phone?

Started by Baruch, March 06, 2018, 06:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Cellebrite-executive-says-unlocking-iPhone-units-is-for-the-public-good_id102977

Mossad, a gift that keeps on giving, to the alphabet agencies, worldwide.  Of course, to actually listen to your phone call or read your texting, requires a court order ... FISA court has you covered .... bwahaha.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

This is an invasion of privacy, but nothing has changed.  The government has been eavesdropping on land lines since the first telephone was invented.  Worse yet, cell phone conversations can be listened to on ordinary police scanners by anyone.  It's not legal, but a friend of mine bought a police scanner at an electronic store, and the clerk gave him a wink and asked if he wanted to listen to cell phones.  My friend nodded and the clerk took the scanner into a back room and in less than 5 minutes the thing was picking up phone calls, although the phones had to be within range.  Sometimes you could only hear half the conversation if one of the callers was in a different town.  Still, we had an interesting afternoon listening to some of the weird shit people talk about on the phone.

Baruch

i believe that many local police have more sophisticated scanners, mini cell phone towers, that allow them greater coverage and both sides of a conversation.  If you aren't planning a crime, you should be happy that tax payers are paying for someone to listen to all your phone calls.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 06, 2018, 12:20:33 PM
i believe that many local police have more sophisticated scanners, mini cell phone towers, that allow them greater coverage and both sides of a conversation.  If you aren't planning a crime, you should be happy that tax payers are paying for someone to listen to all your phone calls.

For once, I will use a typical conservative arguement about personal rights.  "If you haven't got something to hide, what are you worried about?"

Keep in mind I am only repeating that argument as sarcasm...  Conservatives love law and order and anything that supports it.  Except when the shoe pinches THEM!  There is more to that, but I'll let some one on the other side of that argument step on the dog poop...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Jason78

No wonder that the powers that be want to make encryption illegal.   
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on March 08, 2018, 01:38:09 PM
No wonder that the powers that be want to make encryption illegal.

They mostly want to make freedom illegal, the anti-encryption thing is a distraction
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

my iphone map software knows where I live, even though it never asked me to tell it where... and that was the first time I used it, a year after getting the phone. not to mention I turned off the location services on the day I bought it
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on March 10, 2018, 01:34:54 AM
my iphone map software knows where I live, even though it never asked me to tell it where... and that was the first time I used it, a year after getting the phone. not to mention I turned off the location services on the day I bought it

There are built in features, for police work, in all modern electronic devices.  And no, you can't turn them off.  This is advanced wire-tapping, and is necessary for police work.  And of course the authorities, would never abuse their authority.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

You may have turned location services off, but other parties know what routers/cell towers the phone connects to. They don't need anything on the phone itself to tell them where you are. That's why you have service in your area.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

When I had to go pick up my demented Dad in Florida, and had to coordinate things with my brother, I bought a cheap Cricket phone with the a 30 day agreement.  Cost about $50.

It did all I needed, a phone to my brother, a phone to my sister, a phone to the hospital for a week.  After Dad was brought here, I never needed it again and it sits in a box. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 12, 2018, 04:14:41 AM
When I had to go pick up my demented Dad in Florida, and had to coordinate things with my brother, I bought a cheap Cricket phone with the a 30 day agreement.  Cost about $50.

It did all I needed, a phone to my brother, a phone to my sister, a phone to the hospital for a week.  After Dad was brought here, I never needed it again and it sits in a box.

But disposable phones ... profiles you as a drug dealer ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2018, 07:04:34 AM
But disposable phones ... profiles you as a drug dealer ;-(

I was just a Dad-dealer...  And had him to prove it.

The phone was just to stay in contact with my careless Brother.

I paid to fly my brother and I down to Florida, rented a car to drive us to the hospital, drove us and Dad to his house, bought food for the 3 of us, paid to get the A/C repaired so we could sleep that night, packed everything I could into Dad's car and sent Brother and Dad driving to my house ant my expense, stayed behind a day to get the utilities and all obligations shut down, drove to the airport, flew home, and met them 4 hours before they arrived.  I had a bed set up for Dad in the spare room, got Dad to sign over his car to Brother so that Dad would not try to drive anymore (and Brother needed a working car), and then cared for Dad 24/7 for 2 years until he really had to accept hospice care. 

What have you done lately?

Baruch

Well ... disposable cell phones are sometimes necessary if you travel outside the US.  You can get minutes recharged on them.  But with the way customs is going, buy it over there, and dispose of it over there.  And leave your own cell phone at home.  Never take a computer/laptop cross borders either.

What am I doing, working ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.