News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The IQ Problem

Started by pr126, March 04, 2018, 05:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexmahone

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2018, 08:50:18 PM
A good test (yes, not biased).  Simply empower all Mensa member to expel the populations of dims to Antarctica.  The highest average IQ I hear, is among New Guinea natives ... because it has been a challenging lifestyle there for millennia.  Yes, cold is challenging, but not as challenging as head hunters and cannibals.  Smarts isn't everything, or do you have a pig tusk thru your nose too?

I think you are treading on thin ice (cold reference).  I would take a smart African any day over a stupid Swede.  Measure people individually or not at all.

No one disputes that a smart African could have a higher IQ than a stupid Swede; I was just talking about averages.

Charles Murray justifies studying intellectual differences among races on the grounds that if we didn't study them, we would falsely attribute all the educational and socio-economic disparities between blacks and whites in a society to discrimination and racism.

I'm not treading on thin ice because I'm South Asian (mean: 84) myself. :D

Baruch

Quote from: Alexmahone on March 15, 2018, 10:06:11 PM
No one disputes that a smart African could have a higher IQ than a stupid Swede; I was just talking about averages.

Charles Murray justifies studying intellectual differences among races on the grounds that if we didn't study them, we would falsely attribute all the educational and socio-economic disparities between blacks and whites in a society to discrimination and racism.

I'm not treading on thin ice because I'm South Asian (mean: 84) myself. :D

South Asians have no prejudices?  Not just on this subject, please forget about averages.  On average we are half conscious, because we spend half our life asleep.  And yes, politicians attribute X to Y ... as benefits their propaganda.  Don't listen to politicians, then their lies will be less trouble.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 15, 2018, 09:17:09 PM
It's only an anomaly if you assume 'developing country' necessitates that it's that way because its inhabitants aren't intelligent. There are many factors as to why it's technically a developing country.

"Developing Country" and "Intelligence" have no connection.  You make a false analogy and argument there.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Cavebear on March 17, 2018, 03:27:48 AM
"Developing Country" and "Intelligence" have no connection.  You make a false analogy and argument there.

Reread what you just quoted, bud.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on March 17, 2018, 03:44:36 AM
Reread what you just quoted, bud.

I suggested that "developing country" and IQ were not connected.  What do you consider incorrect about that?  And my name isn't "Bud".

Mermaid

Quote from: Alexmahone on March 15, 2018, 08:44:03 PM
Have you heard of Raven's Progressive Matrices where the test taker completes a geometric design with the missing piece? This is what is used on most IQ tests and it can't possibly be culturally biased.

This is not the only type of question on an IQ test.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Alexmahone

Quote from: Cavebear on March 17, 2018, 08:48:16 AM
I suggested that "developing country" and IQ were not connected.  What do you consider incorrect about that?  And my name isn't "Bud".

Why not? Don't you think countries with high mean IQs are more likely to be developed? Is it a coincidence that most African/South Asian countries are developing while most White/East Asian countries are developed?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 17, 2018, 11:31:20 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

There is a lot of genetic variation in every population.  The average intelligence varies, but the reason it does is because of the biased selection of the data points (arbitrary borders etc).  Averages don't tell you much, and they mostly obscure.  In manufacturing, the mean (average) and standard deviation are meaningful, if you are making screws or nails (something that is supposed to turn out uniform).  Humans aren't manufactured, yet!

Some people like to think that their ethnicity or race makes them inferior or superior.  This is psychological, but it isn't scientific.

All cultures aren't the same, but that isn't what the OP is about.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 18, 2018, 01:40:26 AM
I do love the logic in 'Guns, Germs, and Steel'.  I've re-read the book several times.

Best anthropology book ever.  But it took someone to get past Victorian prejudice to write it.  Read Collapse?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 18, 2018, 05:56:30 AM
Best anthropology book ever.  But it took someone to get past Victorian prejudice to write it.  Read Collapse?

Of course.  And I will say it is just like you to call his book "post-Victorian" rather than scientifically modern.   

But Diamond is speculating on the future there and that is in no way certain.  Speculation is  mostly fiction.  Do you depend on fiction?  His future speculation does not match his research of the past.  He hit that problem that some researches do of ""having to write another book".  :(

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 20, 2018, 04:40:53 AM
Of course.  And I will say it is just like you to call his book "post-Victorian" rather than scientifically modern.   

But Diamond is speculating on the future there and that is in no way certain.  Speculation is  mostly fiction.  Do you depend on fiction?  His future speculation does not match his research of the past.  He hit that problem that some researches do of ""having to write another book".  :(

Yes, prophets aren't honored in their home towns.  Collectively, the human animal is even less intelligent than the individual human, who isn't intelligent either.  That is why the recent Uber-autonomous car never slowed down for the pedestrian and killed her.  Ironically the first traffic fatality in Britain was a woman run over by a car .. but that car at least had an inexperienced driver.  Autonomous vehicles and un-critical pedestrians ... the worst of both worlds.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.