News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Interesting Alternative History ...

Started by Baruch, March 03, 2018, 12:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

US on German side in 1917 .... could have easily happened.  In 1917, second largest newspaper output in US isn't in Spanish, but in German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxFvZE_-GM

The US had war plans to invade Canada ... until 1939 (called Plan Red at that time).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 03, 2018, 12:06:10 AM
US on German side in 1917 .... could have easily happened.  In 1917, second largest newspaper output in US isn't in Spanish, but in German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxFvZE_-GM

The US had war plans to invade Canada ... until 1939 (called Plan Red at that time).

The US/British/German connection has always been strong.  But so has the US/French one.  We sort of like most Western Europeans in general.  But their group fights make for some awkward situations.  Depends on WHO is the Dictatorial one at the time, I think.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yes, personalities, on all sides matter.  If they Germans had been circumspect and if President Wilson had been philo-German ...

No, GB has hated the US for most of the last 240 years.  And in particular, post 1960 GB hates the US now.  I mean governments, not people (they don't matter)  The only direct good we have done them, other than taking all of their magic empire game cards ... is to support them in the Falklands, indirectly.  And that was a big maybe at the time (Monroe Doctrine, Latin American policy).  When we had so many troops in GB, during WW II, they hated us then too, until they got out to France.  The US fucks with everyone, including our allies, which has been much more clear post 1991.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

The americans showed up 4 years late to both world wars.   

I doubt that a few more GIs would have made much difference on either side.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on March 04, 2018, 12:23:26 PM
The americans showed up 4 years late to both world wars.   

I doubt that a few more GIs would have made much difference on either side.

The Entente had lost the war in 1917.  Americans then, did make a difference.  In WW II, it was Russia and China who made the difference.  As far as showing up late ... Americans aren't the colonials of Britain or France.  We could have more likely sided with Germany in WW I, and the British Empire would have ended then, and WW II would never have happened.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Jason and Burach both make good points.  One never knows what would happen if small changes occur.  Lenin could have been captured and killed traveling to Moscow.  Hitler could have died in WWI.  Ho Ch Min asked the US for help creating a democracy in Vietnam.

But larger forces are also at work.  Russia was set for a revolution in 1917; Trotsky would have done well at it.  The The Treaty of Versailles almost forced WWII.  America's alliance with France forced us to deny Ho Chi Min our help... 

Or maybe one missing or supported person would have made a big difference. 

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear