How do you know the Bible isn't God's Word?

Started by bfiddy100, March 02, 2018, 11:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cheerful Charlie on March 12, 2018, 05:01:48 AM
Yes.  My point was, if there was a God, an infinitely wise and knowledgeable God who sent true and worthy revelations to us,our supposed holy books would not be collections of nonsense, lies, and ignorance.  Recent rises in Nones and non-believers suggest a lot of people just no longer believe the nonsense of Bible, Quran, Book of Mormon et al.  People are catching on.

From time to time, religion sees shifts in it's habits of thought.  Death of polytheism for example, starting about 2000 years ago.  Could it be we might see the beginnings of the death of mythology based religions?
I am voting for you to be right!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 12, 2018, 10:30:13 AM
I am voting for you to be right!

I would hope for the death of politics, if the cost wasn't so damned high ;-(  I find political ideology to be personally threatening, more than religious theology ... but that is my hobby horse.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2018, 09:44:55 PM
I am definitely prettier than you ;-)
"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception." - Groucho Marx

:cheesy:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cheerful Charlie

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 03, 2018, 01:09:13 PM
Can you show me where the Bible claims to be the word of God?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Cheerful  Charlie

aitm

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 12, 2018, 10:25:10 AM
I'll go first.

I'm sorry...do you think you can compete with my lovely face? Eh? Back off jack.
edit: hey...sumbitch my av's gone........sheeesh
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cheerful Charlie on March 12, 2018, 08:19:42 PM

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

This was covered in reply#48, to wit:

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 08, 2018, 02:49:12 PM
OK, so you figure that the word "scripture" is synonymous with "the Bible"? So if a writing is not in the Bible it could not be considered to be scripture?
God Not Found

Simon Moon

Quote from: bfiddy100 on March 02, 2018, 11:08:13 PM
Hello. I assume that you would say that you know that the Bible isn't the Word of God, even if you might not say that you know there isn't a God.

I do not claim to know, with absolute certainty, that there is no god. My position is that theists, have not met their burden of proof, to support their claim, that a god does exist.

My atheism is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one.   

QuoteI'm hoping that you'll tell me why you are so confident that the Bible isn't what it claims to be (i.e., the Word of God). I'm also curious if you're open to the possibility that you may be wrong about your conclusion, especially considering that you've been wrong about things that you thought you were right about before (just like every other human). Thanks in advance for your response.

I am confident for a number of reasons.

A god inspired or authored book, would not contain: so many internal contradictions, so much scientific nonsense, would not condone slavery, would not look almost exactly like every other ancient book of mythology, etc, etc.

A god, that wants to communicate his message to all of humanity, would not choose to do so, by waiting decades or longer before having fallible humans write it down on little pieces of parchment susceptible to being lost, destroyed, edited, full of copy errors, etc.

He would not have it written in languages he would not would die, or be misunderstood by future generations.

He would not only communicate his message to a very small area, to a small group of mostly illiterate people, while the rest of the world continues in their ignorance, inventing false religions.

At least a god with omniscience would not do these things.

Of course I am open to being wrong. It was my openness to being wrong, which lead me to deeply study the source of my theistic beliefs, (historically, logically, rationally), to come to the conclusion that my beliefs were not supported by evidence or valid and sound logic.

One of my main motivations in life, is to have as many true beliefs as possible, and as few false beliefs as possible.

All it would take to change my mind, is demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, and valid and sound logic.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Baruch

Knowing what you don't know (a list of them) is a good plan.  The problem with epistemology, is that what we love to argue about, isn't facts (aka what we know) but all the other stuff (aka what we don't know).  So I know how many fingers I presently have on my right hand.  But the fact that I know that, isn't all that interesting.  I would much rather know ... What is Life? or some such.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Simon Moon on March 13, 2018, 02:12:28 PM
I do not claim to know, with absolute certainty, that there is no god. My position is that theists, have not met their burden of proof, to support their claim, that a god does exist.

My atheism is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one.   

I am confident for a number of reasons.

A god inspired or authored book, would not contain: so many internal contradictions, so much scientific nonsense, would not condone slavery, would not look almost exactly like every other ancient book of mythology, etc, etc.

A god, that wants to communicate his message to all of humanity, would not choose to do so, by waiting decades or longer before having fallible humans write it down on little pieces of parchment susceptible to being lost, destroyed, edited, full of copy errors, etc.

He would not have it written in languages he would not would die, or be misunderstood by future generations.

He would not only communicate his message to a very small area, to a small group of mostly illiterate people, while the rest of the world continues in their ignorance, inventing false religions.

At least a god with omniscience would not do these things.

Of course I am open to being wrong. It was my openness to being wrong, which lead me to deeply study the source of my theistic beliefs, (historically, logically, rationally), to come to the conclusion that my beliefs were not supported by evidence or valid and sound logic.

One of my main motivations in life, is to have as many true beliefs as possible, and as few false beliefs as possible.

All it would take to change my mind, is demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, and valid and sound logic.

You presume an understanding of a deity, which is impossible, of course.   By which I mean, arguing against a deity by debating one is arguing with that which doesn't exist.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 02:58:37 AM
You presume an understanding of a deity, which is impossible, of course.   By which I mean, arguing against a deity by debating one is arguing with that which doesn't exist.

That isn't a bad point.  Arguing logically about non-existent things (say Hogwarts) is a kind of silly exercise, isn't it?  This is why theists and atheists are ... wasting their time.  But humans have nothing better to do than waste their whole lives on trivialities.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2018, 05:08:50 AM
That isn't a bad point.  Arguing logically about non-existent things (say Hogwarts) is a kind of silly exercise, isn't it?  This is why theists and atheists are ... wasting their time.  But humans have nothing better to do than waste their whole lives on trivialities.

Quote from: Clarence DarrowWe are born and we die; and between these two most important events in our lives more or less time elapses which we have to waste somehow or other. In the end it does not seem to matter much whether we have done so in making money, or practicing law, or reading or playing, or in any other way, as long as we felt we were deriving a maximum of happiness out of our doings.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 15, 2018, 01:47:22 PM

I have certainly gotten happiness and personal satisfaction out of life.  And it ain't over yet...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 03:19:40 PM
I have certainly gotten happiness and personal satisfaction out of life.  And it ain't other yet...

I am happy for you because I don't have what the ancients called the "evil eye".

Socrates would say the the unexamined life isn't worth living.  But having examined life, I find it isn't worth living (for my sake anyway).  It may be worth living in service to someone else.  We provide service to countless people, even by just being consumers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.