How do you know the Bible isn't God's Word?

Started by bfiddy100, March 02, 2018, 11:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2018, 11:11:29 PM
The President is a fiction (the office) .. the person in it is playing a role, like King Lear in a play.  The person is real, the role is not.  So the President can't have you arrested, because a fiction can't do that?  Well when a fiction is embodied (as a person who has assumed office) they can throw your butt in jail.  G-d is embodied, that is the real truth behind Christianity, that Judaism and Islam are in denial about.  Not that Christians understand what they have.
You keep insisting that there is something real about your G-d, and it is, and remains, a fiction.  No analogies work, for it is like trying to make Bugs Bunny real, when Bugs is simply a fiction.  Neither the president nor the office are fiction; and no god is real.  You do have a hard time with fiction and reality.  Scared by a nightmare of G-d and you think that makes it real.  Okay....................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 09, 2018, 11:17:30 PM
You keep insisting that there is something real about your G-d, and it is, and remains, a fiction.  No analogies work, for it is like trying to make Bugs Bunny real, when Bugs is simply a fiction.  Neither the president nor the office are fiction; and no god is real.  You do have a hard time with fiction and reality.  Scared by a nightmare of G-d and you think that makes it real.  Okay....................

You are a fiction, in your own mind.  You aren't who you say you are, or who you think you are.  Because as an ape, you have no intelligence.  None of us apes do.  People only think the Presidency is real, because we agree to a common delusion.  If tomorrow, we woke up, without the idea of the Presidency, it would no longer exist (as a delusion).  All human culture is agreed to delusion (like what is the correct side of the road to drive on).  Not only homosexuality is a delusion, so is heterosexuality.  Those are names for ideas that people have about human behavior, but all our ideas are wrong.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2018, 11:22:30 PM
You are a fiction, in your own mind.  You aren't who you say you are, or who you think you are.  Because as an ape, you have no intelligence.  None of us apes do.  People only think the Presidency is real, because we agree to a common delusion.  If tomorrow, we woke up, without the idea of the Presidency, it would no longer exist (as a delusion).  All human culture is agreed to delusion (like what is the correct side of the road to drive on).  Not only homosexuality is a delusion, so is heterosexuality.  Those are names for ideas that people have about human behavior, but all our ideas are wrong.
:rolleyes:Uh...............Okay...........................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

Quote from: bfiddy100 on March 03, 2018, 11:21:58 AM
If God wasn't angry about people doing evil then He wouldn't be good.  If He rewarded or overlooked evil then He wouldn't be good.
I am curious if you know that the god of the Bible tells us that he created both good and evil

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 03, 2018, 12:02:05 PM
The Bible is inconsistent within itself. I mean, Jesus, the first two chapters of Genesis don't even agree with each other.
case in point:
Genesis 1:20-21 god commanded the water to bring forth birds
Genesis 2:19 god made birds from the ground

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 03, 2018, 01:51:39 PM
I read a book call 101 Myths of the Bible that tells me all I need to know to affirm the mythical nature of the Bible. At least the Old Testament, and the New Testament is no better.
I am enjoying reading this... currently on myth#56

Quote from: bfiddy100 on March 08, 2018, 02:31:51 PM
The God of the Bible didn’t create a world in which people and animals needed to kill other people and animals to survive.  This was a result of man’s rebellion against his perfect Creator.
There is no place in the Bible that says such a thing. Just another example of a busy-body theologist.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Jason78

Quote from: bfiddy100 on March 08, 2018, 02:31:51 PM
@Jason78 â€" which basic “facts” did the Author of the Bible get wrong?

I'm not going to start quoting that infernal book chapter and verse to you.    If you'd like to know more, read the skeptics annotated bible.

It's an absolutely roaring read,  full of little tidbits of information about all the stuff god got wrong.   Including a few of his more horrific atrocities. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2018, 11:22:30 PM
Maybe....Just maybe..............I am the only thing in the universe that I am sure is not fiction.  I do exist.  For a brief moment.  Maybe you are the fiction created by me; you and your g-d are a fiction of my mind.  So, I expect to hear a resounding 'Thank You!' issuing forth from you and your G-d; maybe, just maybe the second I die, you two do to.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 10, 2018, 09:42:32 AM
Maybe....Just maybe..............I am the only thing in the universe that I am sure is not fiction.  I do exist.  For a brief moment.  Maybe you are the fiction created by me; you and your g-d are a fiction of my mind.  So, I expect to hear a resounding 'Thank You!' issuing forth from you and your G-d; maybe, just maybe the second I die, you two do to.

So then, you are a 17th century French philosopher?  Incroyable!  I think Freud convincingly debunked Monsieur DesCartes.

Auditions from supposed deities ... are probably hallucinations.  In which case, please apply that to our conversation, between two demigods ;-)  But if people can hallucinate, how can we know we aren't hallucinating now?  My certainty or yours, that I am not hallucinating ... based on a recent personal encounter with another person who was hallucinating ... empirically shows me that we can't tell the difference when the chips are down.  Though my sense of "reality" is quite similar to yours ... I am can be more skeptical of myself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2018, 10:50:54 PM
I define Hillary as omnipotent.  The D candidate wasn't omnipotent ... so that candidate wasn't the real Hillary.

I love it when materialists pontificate on metaphysics.  It is like the Pope pontificating on marriage.
Is that what I did - pontificate?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2018, 10:52:15 PM
Why aren't you all arguing about Harry Potter?
Because the fans of Harry Potter aren't threatening to take over our government and rule us with the laws of Harry Potter. Fans of Jesus are so threating us, they want the laws of God to be the law of the land, and they will never stop until it is so.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 10, 2018, 01:24:36 PM
Because the fans of Harry Potter aren't threatening to take over our government and rule us with the laws of Harry Potter. Fans of Jesus are so threating us, they want the laws of God to be the law of the land, and they will never stop until it is so.

As a 60s revolutionary then ... perhaps you need to get some rhetorical bomb strapped on?  I expect Europe will become entirely Islamic ... but this doesn't bother me as much as it bothers pr126.  See ... I understand your objection is political.  But then it belongs in the politics section ;-)

I would think it very interesting, on Bizzaro Earth, if J K Rowling instead of Hillary Clinton was a politician, and she was trying to convert everyone to Hogwartism ;-)  I find most politicians to be threatening, but I don't lose sleep over it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2018, 02:40:47 PM
I find most politicians to be threatening, but I don't lose sleep over it.
Good, I'm sure you need as much beauty sleep as you can get. Does it help?
God Not Found

Cheerful Charlie

The Bible is not the word of God.  We have the many serious contradictions.  The two creation stories of Genesis.  And the contradictions of the tales of Jesus and his alleged resurrection. And many more, serious and trivial. Archaeology has demonstrated conclusively that the tales of the Exodus and genocides in Canaan are lies made up by some billy goat herder priests.  If there was a God who somehow inspired writings, the nonsense of the Bible is hard to explain.  By the time the billy goat herders decided to write their history, they had forgotten their true history.  We get a few glimpses of that from Egyptian sources. And again, archaeology. If the Bible had any truth in it that came from God, we would have a far different history than that presented to us.  Much of what is supposedly the word of God is just downright silly.  Tales in Exodus that prescribe a hair dressing for the priests that anybody else who copied it were to be executed.  Israelites were allowed to sell their teen aged daughters into concubinage. God had nothing better for us?  What the Bible means to one is decided by what filters one uses when reading it.  Most people filter out the nonsense and obvious contradictions.  But some of us insist on noticing these glaring examples that demonstrate that a supremely wise and good God had nothing to do with this book of falsehoods and nonsense.
Cheerful  Charlie

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 10, 2018, 03:03:30 PM
Good, I'm sure you need as much beauty sleep as you can get. Does it help?

I am definitely prettier than you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2018, 09:44:55 PM
I am definitely prettier than you ;-)

Oo! We should have a forum beauty contest.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--