News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RIP TotalBiscuit

Started by Hydra009, May 25, 2018, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Extremely popular video game reviewer John Bain (aka TotalBiscuit) died recently from cancer.

We all knew this was coming, he was very public about his illness, but it was nonetheless quite a terrible shock to learn that he had died.

He was an extremely prolific and influential YouTuber, and through our shared interest in sci-fi and strategy games, I had come to rely heavily on his assessments over the years.  If I was seriously thinking about getting a game and I saw that it had won his approval, that finalized my decision and I have never once regretted that decision.  He also tried to steer his audience towards innovative and interesting lesser-known games, which is commendable.

He was an exceedingly admirable guy - honest, candid - a man of integrity.  He was fair and forthright in his appraisals, and if one of his videos were sponsored, he would make damn sure you knew about it (which was at the time was something that a lot of YouTube game reviewers did sparingly, if at all).  He relentlessly pushed against predatory business practices and was especially critical of pre-ordering and DLC that isn't worth your money.

His authoritative voice will be missed greatly.

For those of you who haven't watched any of his videos, they're a real treat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNuDlpOrU8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ_NdBZsmqY

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 25, 2018, 11:32:44 PM
Extremely popular video game reviewer John Bain (aka TotalBiscuit) died recently from cancer.

We all knew this was coming, he was very public about his illness, but it was nonetheless quite a terrible shock to learn that he had died.

He was an extremely prolific and influential YouTuber, and through our shared interest in sci-fi and strategy games, I had come to rely heavily on his assessments over the years.  If I was seriously thinking about getting a game and I saw that it had won his approval, that finalized my decision and I have never once regretted that decision.  He also tried to steer his audience towards innovative and interesting lesser-known games, which is commendable.

He was an exceedingly admirable guy - honest, candid - a man of integrity.  He was fair and forthright in his appraisals, and if one of his videos were sponsored, he would make damn sure you knew about it (which was at the time was something that a lot of YouTube game reviewers did sparingly, if at all).  He relentlessly pushed against predatory business practices and was especially critical of pre-ordering and DLC that isn't worth your money.

His authoritative voice will be missed greatly.

For those of you who haven't watched any of his videos, they're a real treat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNuDlpOrU8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ_NdBZsmqY

Never heard of him.  But I haven't heard of a lot of creative people who were worth mentioning.  I mean, I just didn't know them, and I should have.

So I regret his death.  Not a joke...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hijiri Byakuren

I didn't really watch TotalBiscuit, but his death hits pretty close to home fr me personally, due to how my step-father died back in November. The way cancer can totally strip you of your human dignity in the space of just a few days... I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Munch

I use to watch his wow videos back in the day, he was fun to listen to. I sort of dropped of listening to him when he quit playing wow and lost track of what he got up to.

Its a shame what happened to him :S, horrible way to die.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 29, 2018, 04:35:45 PM
I use to watch his wow videos back in the day, he was fun to listen to. I sort of dropped of listening to him when he quit playing wow and lost track of what he got up to.

Its a shame what happened to him :S, horrible way to die.

I'll guess he was to some of you what Carl Sagan was to me.  An inspiration and model.  It is good to have someone like that in your life.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

I had a favorite Brit reviewer of games, about 9 years ago.  He was in college.  Died on his motorcycle in a traffic accident.  He was waiting to play the new Total War Empire when it came out, but never to to play.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.